Author Topic: Lix Community Level Set  (Read 169375 times)

Online Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Lix Community Level Set
« Reply #330 on: March 01, 2012, 12:16:02 PM »
Solutions.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 01, 2012, 01:56:08 PM »
There'll probably be a new lix update within the next few days, which will feature, among other things, setting a minimum spawn interval (maximum RR), and lix only check against water with their feet, not eyes (this will solve the issue in Under the Rainbow).
Furthermore, it'll include some additions to the terrain: the abstract set, and the additional pieces by thick molasses and Nortaneous. (I renamed/moved them around a bit though. Only three levels are affected by it, I'll add Torture Chamber and Under the Rainbow to the list then with the new terrain location, and post the adapted version of Four Lix and a Funeral in this topic.) There'll be some smaller terrain additions in some sets, and whatever else I'll manage to get done in the meantime.

Once the update is out, I'll update the list.

I got a bunch of new solutions. Some notes:

Alternative solution to Ascending and Descending that doesn't use the builder barrier at the top (very technical solution though).
Five for Fighting was pretty difficult, not sure whether my solution is a backroute as it leaves a climber and a floater.
Cry for me version 2: similar solution still works.
My solution to Excavation uses a digger to get through the blue shovel, feels a bit technical to use a digger for this purpose.
Snowjump: another pretty technical solution.
Ridiculous: I think my solution can be optimized to a lose 1 solution.
Proc Man: My solution only works if the minimum RR is 1.
Stairs Bro: Went along right under the buzzsaws. Apt title.  :D
Infrastructure: Love this level, only have to take care not to bash from too high.

And I updated Recycling plant to have a miner instead of a basher, I like it better that way.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #332 on: March 01, 2012, 02:42:42 PM »
Yep, the upcoming update isn't a comprehensive bug extermination, but some things will be in:

- Disabling/changing the time of fast-forward cancelling before end of replay
- Scrolling and priority invert per held keyboard key (for single-button Mac mousers)
- minor stuff, and also what geoo said above.

Clam mentioned an update is necessary despite not all current physics bugs having been fixed, because the terrain/image directory is a worthwhile thing to synchronize between all users. Each update which touches the physics may merely disrupt older replays.

-- Simon

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 01, 2012, 10:03:59 PM »
Ha, kind of botched the stairs, here's a re-do of it.

Also changed Snowjump since neither of those is quite what I had in mind (Proxima's solution was actually what I was trying to avoid).
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Nortaneous

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 02, 2012, 12:07:30 AM »
Process Management looks like an unfixable backroute, but that level sucks anyway. Pretty much the intended solution for the others.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 02, 2012, 01:01:33 AM »
I got the same solution as Nortaneous to the revised Snowjump, so I won't bother posting it. Here's my replay for the revised Stairs. Tricky difficulty? Hell no, this was very hard to spot -- an excellent puzzle.

And another level. Will the next update include ccexplore's suggestion of allowing objects to be drawn in front of terrain? This level really needs it.

Online mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 03, 2012, 02:10:35 AM »
In 'Five for fighting' there was supposed to be steel that I left out accidentally. It gets rid of Proxima's solution (which I liked though, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't what I had in mind for this level. It actually is what I had in mind for another) I like Geoo's solution so I think I'll leave it that way. Unless more backroutes are found.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline CynicalOkie

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 03, 2012, 08:43:25 PM »
Been quite a long time since I last showed up around here. So looks like I've now got a nice reason to remake and release "The Journey through the Solar System" level pack. For those who haven't seen it, it's basically a group of levels named after the major planetary bodies in the Solar System. Mercury through Neptune, plus the Moon, Pluto, and a Pluto Extended, of sorts.

Online mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 04, 2012, 07:07:53 PM »
Finally, here is another good level from Mazulems. (it took me awhile and I had to use some eraser pieces anyway which I kinda figured) I like this one for it sheer originality. Adding jumpers makes it not take quite as long to execute.

in making this level I discovered some oddities/ possible glitches involing jumping with thin walls around.
-one is that the lix can sometimes jump through a horizontal thin wall if there is a vertical wall that it is attaching to (climbing) nearby. you may want to test this out.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 04, 2012, 09:58:18 PM »
Solution to the revised Five for Fighting.

In 'Five for fighting' there was supposed to be steel that I left out accidentally. It gets rid of Proxima's solution (which I liked though, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't what I had in mind for this level. It actually is what I had in mind for another)

Heh. I've liked that method ever since it was the first solution I found for Taxing 22. I look forward to seeing your level using it.

Path to Mahimah was a nice concept, pretty easy but quite fertile for challenges. Attached is a glitch-free solution without jumpers and only 14 builders, and, using the jumping "glitch" TM mentioned, a solution using only one builder. I don't know whether this should be classed as a glitch or just a fact about jumper mechanics, similarly to how builders can ascend through thin platforms. If we decide it's okay to make levels requiring this, you could make a harder version simply by removing all but one builder, or even make it builderless by changing the one builder to a walker.

EDIT: Actually, it might be possible to make the harder version into a decent puzzle and not just spot-the-glitch. Reduce the jumpers to nine or eight and modify the maze layout slightly. Currently, it's possible with nine in several different ways, but not with eight at all. Ideally you want there to be only one route that works with the number of jumpers given.

Regardless of whether a harder version is made, I suggest moving the entire terrain 24px down and 24px right, so the maze isn't right up against the corner of the level area.

EDIT: The layout can also be solved builders-only (no climber), though this requires more than the 25 you're given in the current level. Done with 44.

Online mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 05, 2012, 01:12:58 AM »
Updated Maze, I got rid of a few builders. I figured it would be best to give some leniency since like you said, it can be easily adapted for challenges this way.

And here's a few levels, not for entry but for consideration/and or help. I can't get them the way I want. I like bouncing ideas off other people. If you don't like me doing this; let me know.  You (Proxima) can have the Tower's level if you want it, I'm not going to do anything with it. I don't care about author credit. The other two are ideas that I'm just having trouble sorting out if they're worth anything or not.

As for Five for fighting, what I originally intended was for some lix to get trapped in the space at the bottom between the danger block and the large area to the right, and then while one is bashing toward the exit, one mines down to free them. But I'm thinking the found route is good enough.

has anyone solved brickout yet? I'm curious what that almost glitch trick is...

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Nortaneous

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 05, 2012, 05:30:16 AM »
Here's an edit of Slipping Again that gives a much harder puzzle, although it does make use of a holding pit trick.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 05, 2012, 12:32:22 PM »
You're right, that's a very nice puzzle level now. Though I think, as it almost fits on one screen, it would be better to squeeze it in so it does.

This replay uses the build-on-air glitch but has one spare builder; I haven't solved it without using the glitch yet.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 05, 2012, 04:16:50 PM »
I had another go at Brickout B8-b today, and finally managed to solve it.

I also solved Nortaneous' version of Slipping again, and didn't have to use any special tricks or glitches.

I really like TM's towers, the design is interesting, and it gives you a lot of leeway with the skillset, yet if you don't see the idea you can't solve it.

Note that my replays already use the upcoming version of Lix, I'm not sure whether I use anything not working in the old version, but if you see some unsuccessful replay, you'll have to wait for a day or two for the new version of Lix.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 05, 2012, 04:31:01 PM »
Your replay is for untitled-12 but your post talks about TM's Towers. Deliberate?  ???

Here's my replay for TM's Towers. Nice concept but very easy (the number of climbers is a big hint) but if TM doesn't want to, then I'll have a go at seeing if I can make anything out of this level.

I haven't saved a replay for untitled-12 as I thought it was too obvious to warrant one... yet geoo found a different solution  :P

TM: Of course it's okay to share ideas; this is a community project after all. We've all been freely making suggestions when we see something we think can be improved, and generally the levels end up being much better for it.

I'd love to see the intended solution to "Five for Fighting" -- even with your description I can't get it at all. I can't see how you can make the drop to the danger block survivable without losing at least one or else running out of skills; but if you don't reduce that drop, no-one can get stuck there except the two floaters, and you can make both of them climbers....  ???