Author Topic: Technical Issues with Lemmings Files  (Read 8479 times)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Technical Issues with Lemmings Files
« on: May 10, 2009, 10:07:38 PM »
Lemmings files are always causing Windows Explorer to crash.  It's very annoying, and I was in my Lemmix folder, when all of the sudden, Windows Explorer crashed, and so did a program that I can't identify called DrWatson Postmortem Debugger.  I've tried Google, but I can't figure out for certain what it is...

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
Re: Technical Issues with Lemmings Files
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 01:58:48 AM »
Does it happen after you restart your computer?

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 03:26:32 AM »
Trust me, this stuff has been happening for awhile...
The DrWatson thing popped up today, but the lemmings files crashing Windows Explorer has happened for a long time...

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 04:03:02 AM »
Your problem really is a weird one. I guess you'll just have to delete the entire folder. If you have any levels stored there, use 7-Zip to move the files to another location (if you can). When you delete the folder, you will need Unlocker if Windows says something like "The folder is in use." Hope this helps!

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 08:08:05 AM »
For reference, Dr Watson is a crash debug tool bundled with Windows since earlier days.
This Lemmings forum is simply *fabulous*!

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 09:08:37 PM »
Actually, it happens with any folder containing just the right stuff, and it has been noticed that it's an "error."

The computer says it's an error, but it works just fine until you click the button to get rid of the pop up.

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 11:29:42 PM »
Hm, maybe it's a virus. Have you scanned your computer with an up-to-date anti-virus program?

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 12:00:02 AM »
Nope, not a virus.  I checked a while back when I was having other problems (which occurred long after this problem began).  Besides, this whole Lemmings file stuff occurred before this computer had Internet.

EDIT:  I probably will tonight, because I just remembered, when I did research on DrWatson Postmortem Debugger, I read at several places that it can mask some kind of, if I'm not mistaken, Trojan virus known as "Acebot."
I bet if I was using a different OS, this wouldn't be a problem!  Of course, Linux might be a bit difficult to use, from what I hear, and my computer can't handle Mas OS X.

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 03:35:49 AM »
You could also try using an Ubuntu live CD or Knoppix and boot off the disc, pretty easy to use. Then, access your hard drive from it and see if you can rescue the files. Being under Linux means you'd be protected from whatever problem you're having if it is software based. If the directory structure of that folder is bung, however, Linux will also say "Um, no, I don't think so" as well.
This Lemmings forum is simply *fabulous*!

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 10:49:53 PM »
My only guess is a corrupted file, but now that I think about it, that's probably not it, either.  Even ones that work just fine seem to crash it...