Author Topic: Game boy Lemmings  (Read 15287 times)

Jazzem

Game boy Lemmings
« on: November 22, 2005, 06:25:03 PM »
For the completist value (And to see what it plays like on the grey brick of fun) I got this from ebay today. It certainly is a bizarre conversion, the builder's bridge is at a much steeper angle this time, and some of the levels have been tweaked, some for the better (Don't do anything too hasty is much more of a challenge), and some for the worst (What have they done to We all fall down!?!). It's fun though, and feels slightly different to the versions we're all used to. Just a shame that the lemmings aren't always so responsive to your commands :(

Anyone else got it?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Game boy Lemmings
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 10:00:46 PM »
I've heard that the NES and GameBoy versions have a very different feel than the other versions. &#A0;I even seem to remember it was mentioned how you are only allowed to use certain skills in certain areas of the level. &#A0;Maybe someday I'll try to donwload one of those versions and play on an emulator, though frankly I'm not super-excited about them.

Games like lemmings can conceivably be very tricky to handle for certain consoles. &#A0;Unlike many games that are based on sprites, to properly support lemmings the way it works on the PC, Amiga, etc., you actually would need to keep track of individual pixels. &#A0;That can conceivably be too much to handle for the older game consoles which tend to be sprite-based. &#A0;Of course, I don't know much about game consoles programming so I can be totally wrong about this.

Jazzem

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 08:28:39 PM »
Yeah, it is a very resource demanding game, it's amazing they got it to the 8bit consoles as they did, even if a lot was lost in the process (Only 14 lemmings!?).

Alexraptor

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 03:10:14 PM »
I also quired lemmings for GameBoy a few weeks ago, also ebay.
I agree the feel of the game is diffrent, and alot harder, i swear that im stuck on the 1st level on tricky  :P

Thank goodness for lemmings on Mac.

Jazzem

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 04:07:16 PM »
Welcome to the forums :)

Yeah, Tricky 1 was a pain. Make sure you take into account how to keep the non-building lemmings together.

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 02:09:47 AM »
I actually bought the Game Boy Color version of Lemmings & ONML back when it was still in stores.  I say, save your money.  They really, really butchered ONML. (90% of the levels are the brick texture ones, and they're all out of order)  The music was replaced by some utter junk that I could have done better (and I've only composed one song in my life) and the graphics are overall ugly.  But I tried to enjoy it when I was away from the computer, and it kind of worked.  Not really.  Got to fun and never played it again.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 02:32:48 AM »
Quote from: Mr. Ksoft link=1132683903/0#5 date=1133230187
The music was replaced by some utter junk that I could have done better (and I've only composed one song in my life) and the graphics are overall ugly.
Well, we are talking about the GameBoy here though, not even GameBoy Advanced.

Would you say the music and graphics are bad even in comparison with other GameBoy games?

Jazzem

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 07:50:15 PM »
Have they just replaced the ONML music? They can hardly make it much worse, the soundtrack was dreadful to begin with. Why they didn't just use the first one again I don't know.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 12:16:27 PM »
Quote from: Jazzem link=1132683903/0#0 date=1132683903
and some for the worst (What have they done to We all fall down!?!)
Actually, what they've done to we all fall down makes perfect sense.  Since the system apparently can't handle more than 14 lemmings on those versions, the original versions of we all fall down, with increase number of lemmings, just won't work.  So instead they change the skills distribution rather than the number of lemmings.  (At least that's what it looks like to me, I've only gotten to Tricky 2 as this point.)

Jazzem

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2005, 12:44:36 PM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)(Guest) link=1132683903/0#8 date=1133612187
Quote from: Jazzem link=1132683903/0#0 date=1132683903
and some for the worst (What have they done to We all fall down!?!)
Actually, what they've done to we all fall down makes perfect sense.  Since the system apparently can't handle more than 14 lemmings on those versions, the original versions of we all fall down, with increase number of lemmings, just won't work.  So instead they change the skills distribution rather than the number of lemmings.  (At least that's what it looks like to me, I've only gotten to Tricky 2 as this point.)

I can understand that, but it's now incredibly easy (It can be an extension of "Only floaters will survive this" or the initial part fo "Now use miners and climbers") now. Perhaps they shuld have used a much smaller platform, and the number of lemmings would start off small (4 or so), but by the end it would be the full 14?

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2005, 08:57:55 PM »
In response to earlier posts.

I thought the music was pretty bad. They took out all of the original songs, replacing them with boring tunes that don't seem Lemmingy... I might post a recording later. The graphics (on the GBC version) barely use as many colors as the system can probably support.  Look at http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/games/coverg/16/667316.jpg to see what a hunk of junk the game is.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 10:20:53 PM »
Wow, there's a Gameboy version of ONML too? &#A0;Surprising.

Let me see if I can find a NES version of ONML on the net......

Jazzem

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2005, 11:20:42 PM »
No no no! There isn't one, it was only released indepedently on home computers. It was however released in later compilations (The Playstation version of Lemmings, Winlemm and the GBC one mentioned by KSoft)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 01:58:08 AM »
Now that I've played NES lemmings for a few days, I'm starting to really like it. &#A0;I think everyone should give it a try. &#A0;It does take a little time to get used to the fact that your skills only take place on grid boundaries (hence the "unresponsiveness" as compared with skill assignments happening right on the next frame at any pixel position), and that some behaviors are just different on the NES version. &#A0;But once you gain a feel for the game mechanics, I find it almost as fun as the normal versions. &#A0;An addition bonus is that because of the difference in game mechanics, skill distribution, and often the terrain details, even the levels that do exist in normal versions will often play out a little (or a lot) differently in the NES version. &#A0;For example, even on Fun 1, you'll probably not achieve 100% on a single try. ;) &#A0;And yes, there are also levels unique to the NES version.

The one thing bad about the NES version is that it repeats levels a lot more than the normal versions. &#A0;And sometimes the repeats are pretty lame. &#A0;Oh, and the titles! &#A0;Clearly they made it one of their goals to ruin as many good level titles from the normal versions as possible. ::) (eg. "Is your Lemmingaid working"--wtf?)

minglw

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2005, 07:27:17 PM »
Other than on the Amiga, PC and the coming PSP, Lemmings is vailable on few other platforms.
 (I don't have the ones for the Mac or Playstation.)

I have these:
=========

arcade\lemmings.zip

game_gear\Lemmings (JUE).gg

GBX\Lemmings (U) [!].gb
GBX\Lemmings 2, The Tribes (U) [!].gb
GBX\Lemmings vs.gbc
GBX\Lemmings_and_oh_no_more_lemmings.gbc

Genesis\Lemmings (E).bin
Genesis\Lemmings 2 - The Tribes (E).bin
Genesis\Lemmings 2 - The Tribes (U).bin

lynx\Lemmings (1993).lnx

NES\Lemmings (U).nes

SMS\Lemmings (UE) [!].sms

SNES\Lemmings (E).sfc
SNES\Lemmings (U) (v1.0).sfc
SNES\Lemmings (U) (v1.1).sfc
SNES\Lemmings 2 - The Tribes (E).sfc
SNES\Lemmings 2 - The Tribes (U).sfc

Some of the files you can download from: &#A0;http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/files.php

For the rest, if you want it but can't find it, feel free to let me know and I can send it to you or put it on a web site for download.

The arcade version is not bad. &#A0; I don't think that's ever officially released. &#A0; It's playable with MAME.

If you know of any other platforms that's not listed, please let me know.