Author Topic: New PSP Lemmings Screenshots.  (Read 32038 times)

JM

Re: New PSP Lemmings Screenshots.
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2005, 08:10:30 PM »
I can't remember passing all of them but I always think about the level with the portion of terrain saying COOL. I love that level.

Jazzem

« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2005, 08:28:22 PM »
Quote from: Anatol  link=1125415222/45#57 date=1128179308
To add a new perspective to the level graphics...

I played ONML for about a year before I ever played original Lemmings. And when I first saw the original graphics, I was like, "Oh! What kind of graphics are these?!? These are HORRIBLE!" But then I got used to them (as well as the different music B))

Hopefully it'll be the same way with the PSP Lemmings.

Gosh...I haven't posted for like a year!!! =8O =8O

That's a good point actually, I found the ONML graphics a little strange at first. They weren't that dissimilar from the original ones though (In terms of the style), so I adapted.

I just can't bring myself to like this aesthetically. Maybe I'm just a Lemmings purist, but it really has lost all of it's charm for me.

I should let it go though, they had to update the graphics, and I highly doubt that I would've liked them whatever they turned out as.

EDIT: Oh, and I've only been here for a month, but welcome back! :thumbsup:

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2005, 08:49:07 PM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)  link=1125415222/45#55 date=1128091094
That's only true for the Mac version, although maybe it's in the manual in the PC version as well.  (And I guess I haven't checked all the other versions out there either.)

I only found out recently (because I finally got hold of a Mac emulator) that the Mac version of the games have more elaborate credit text.  On the PC version, I'm pretty sure it's just a regular set of credits to the people involved.  The Mac version on the other hand also includes a whole bunch of extra text about the game itself (things like "can you beat them all", "we're not responsible for lost of sleep", etc.)

Watch out for SUPERLEMMING!! And all kinds of other crazy stuff. :D I was disappointed when I sat through the entire credits on the Playstation version just to find that it didn't have this.... :(

Oh, and by the way, my manual covers the mac, pc, amiga and atari versions. (although I can't remember if it actually does have this, I just suspect it does)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2005, 11:29:03 PM »
Incidentally, I never seen anything from the Playstation version, do the graphics look just like the Mac or Amiga versions, or does it look a little different?

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2005, 02:18:55 PM »
The Playstation version is very similar to the Win95 version, I can't remember much though, since I haven't had that version for 4+ years.

Maybe Finlay can give a more detailed explanation, because (apparently) he still has it.

Jazzem

« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2005, 03:53:01 PM »
As in hi-res Winlemm or low-res? Assuming you can remember that much :P

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2005, 05:16:18 PM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)  link=1125415222/60#63 date=1128209343
Incidentally, I never seen anything from the Playstation version, do the graphics look just like the Mac or Amiga versions, or does it look a little different?

It's high-res, unlike the amiga version etc, because it's on a TV screen. But the graphics are noticeably different from the mac version as well, presumably from being done by different people.
Also, the problem you described about the mac version in that you can't quite tell if the lemmings have gone off the edge of something (which, incidentally, I've never noticed) is much much worse on the playstation.
It probably is based off the win95 version--that seems very likely.
Other differences (to the mac version usually, since I don't know enough about the others):
It's missing 6 levels of Lemmings (the four special graphics levels, All the 6's and the Fun incarnation of We all fall down) and 5 of ONML (Tame 17-20 and Superlemming, to my dismay),
Many levels are missing water that goes along the bottom of the screen, which usually just serves a decorative purpose, but it makes the levels look a lot plainer. Call in the bomb squad is even missing the decorative water along the top,
Triple Trouble has 12 builders and Steel mines of Kessel has 20 of everything, much to my dismay again since these were always the hardest to pass, especially the latter, on the mac. otoh, this made them possible to be passed, so it's not all bad.
Also, Come on over to my place: save 40/50, not 100% (yes I am aware that this is the case on the PC),
and The Crossroads: save 70/80, not 100% (although here I actually passed it with 100% anyway so nyah).
And Save Me only required one attempt at the final section (after, to be fair, about 20 or 30 for the first part); it seems to be more lenient here.
Plus, the lemmings walk off the top of the screen, which seriously affects Going Up........, where I had to use an elaborate system of blockers and bombers and stuff, and to a lesser extent Mind the Step, which only needed an extra builder.
But anyway, all that is hardly even worth mentioning when you realise the biggest bad part, namely the builders; their mechanics seems to be completely different, with the net effect that bashing from a bridge is impossible unless the builder is shrugging. This used to keep me from solving Lemming Hotel (Wild 2), although the other day I also used a digger so that the returning builder would stop and solved it in one try, ironically. Building from the very edge is also nigh-on impossible for the high-res reasons that I mentioned before, and that here the builder's feet start in the middle of the first step, not the very edge as I'm used to. This makes Livin' on the edge quite difficult, although iirc the mac only has 6 builders yet the playstation has 10.

Andi

« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2005, 09:57:55 AM »
I have the PSX version somewhere. But no PlayStation. xD

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2005, 11:10:39 PM »
Try using a PSX emulator.
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2005, 11:36:09 PM »
Quote from: finlay  link=1125415222/60#66 date=1128273378
Many levels are missing water that goes along the bottom of the screen, which usually just serves a decorative purpose, but it makes the levels look a lot plainer. Call in the bomb squad is even missing the decorative water along the top,

That's also true in the DOS version as well, although I'd guess the DOS version did it for memory/performance reasons.  I wouldn't expect the Playstation to have such problems.

Triple Trouble has 12 builders and Steel mines of Kessel has 20 of everything,

That's also true in the DOS version (at least for Steel Mines, I don't remember off-hand about the other one), though I don't really understand why.

That being said, the Mac version is unintentionally harder.  On the original versions (Amiga, PC, Atari), there are 3 terrain areas which are traversable, but on the Mac became extra obstacles due to graphics differences.  Together with Mac's reduction to 80 lemmings out without adjust the percentage to save, and you end up with a level whose difficulty is way out of league with the rest of the game.

This makes Livin' on the edge quite difficult, although iirc the mac only has 6 builders yet the playstation has 10.

I think most versions (DOS, Amiga, SNES, etc.) also have 10.  I'll have to check the Mac version myself tonight.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2005, 11:39:21 PM »
Quote from: DragonsLover  link=1125415222/60#68 date=1128381039
Try using a PSX emulator.

I'm not sure if there are any available now though.  There used to be this one called "Bleem" or something, but it's commercially sold or something, and later Sony sued them out of existence.

It's kinda weird that someone would have the game but not an actual PSX.  PSX emulators work directly with the game CDs, and since CDs tend to hold far too much content for downloading purposes, it's not too likely you'd be able to download PSX games off a web site.  (Though I can imagine maybe thru a peer-to-peer network you can download that sort of thing.)

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Level Database
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2005, 12:18:02 AM »
[link=http://www.zophar.net/psx.html]Hmm...[/link]

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2005, 12:40:20 AM »
Wow, clearly a lot has changed in the past few years. X_X

Andi

« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2005, 06:13:36 PM »
I got it from a friend for collecting purpose. He didn't liked it so he gave it to me.

edit:// xD Corrected the nonesense.

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Level Database
« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2005, 07:43:36 PM »
Quote from: Andi  link=1125415222/60#73 date=1128708816
I didn't liked it so he gave it to me.

O_o :D