Author Topic: Thoughts on a Game Engine for Lemmings  (Read 7786 times)

Offline Tim

• Skype name: timfoxxy
    • View Profile
Thoughts on a Game Engine for Lemmings
« on: April 07, 2009, 02:56:38 PM »
First, please forgive me if this is in the wrong section of the forums or should be a part of a current active topic, but I thought this deserves a new section.

If, or once we manage to get a new Lemmings sequel in the works soon, I would suggest we try getting a Game Engine as one of the foundations for the project. Having programming, scripting and stuff started from scratch may take alot of time to do, and so using a Game Engine would make the process easier (escpeically for a fan made game).

Whether it be "The Perfect Blend" topic by GuyPerfect using ideas such as extended skills, limited hero levels, child-friendly gameplay etc, or "Multiplayer Online Game" by EricLang focusing more on the multiplayer style of lemmings play, it should be relatively simple to desgin a remake/sequel.

I did a search on Google for "Game Engine" and came across the Torque Game Builder in the results as one of the many engines on the web ( http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque-2D ). It includes a Demo version which we could try to see if it works for the game we want to build. Im sure that a free game engine may not provide the features that would be needed, and if members would be willing to pitch in, we could get a decent game engine that would work for the game we want to make.

A Game Engine would also allow us to choose a name for the game that would be built, and although im sure many names have already been suggested, I have a few of my own:
- Lemmings: Reloaded
- New Age Lemmings
- Xtreme Lemmings
- Lemmings the Freshmen
- Back in the Habit of Lemmings
- Lemming All-Stars (if using multiplayer and/or special modes)

As noted before, this is mostly a suggestion for using a Game Engine to desgin a new Lemmings Game. Of course with it being a fan based game, using a freeware Game Engine would also work, just with lesser features/options available to us compared to a paid one. The Torque Game Engine I mentioned earlier is just one of the engines, the wikipedia article below lists a more wider range of engines available.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines

I hope it will provide some use, I am really interested in assisting with one of the projects, lets see how this turns out :)

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
Re: Thoughts on a Game Engine for Lemmings
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 08:54:35 AM »
As you know Tim, I am gathering people to work on the Lemmix Online Multiplayer version (which will contain single-player levels too). I had a reaction from a quite good programmer, so maybe I can get started now.
The game-engine will probably be written from scratch by the me and my team.

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 03:43:32 AM »
On another note, Eric, are you going to make it multiplayer Lemmings like in the originals?

Or make a version incorporating all the features nobody likes from the other Lemmings games and making a new one? ... Heh, yes. I'm a fan of originality. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. >_<
This Lemmings forum is simply *fabulous*!

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 09:03:57 AM »
But L1 is a little bit broken in multiplayer. :-)

-- Simon

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 02:00:03 PM »
A bit. But introducing features from L2 and L3 and L-for-PS3 won't fix it. Heh.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 12:02:08 AM »
Jason: I am planning to make lemmings with better mechanics, new traps, new skills etc.
But I also want to have the original lemmings in the game. singleplayer AND multiplayer, both online.
Lots of work :)
I still need programmers, I may have found one now.

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 08:22:43 AM »
As long as it's labelled as being as such, that'd be OK.

I'm not terribly interested in all these games that claim to be "Lemmings" but have so many changes in them that they're more like The Tribes. If they made it clear they were going to be different, it might be OK.

I think this dislike comes from Lemmings for PlayStation 3: a misleading title for a game that incorporates features from ANWoL. I was a bit disappointed...

Hey, if it was gonna be different, they could have titled it so.

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Level Database
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 04:02:00 AM »
I still need programmers, I may have found one now.
Speaking of which, what language are you planning for? (hoping to hear C/C++)

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 12:15:02 PM »
Probably Delphi

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 06:57:08 PM »
Delphi?  Let me look that up on Wikipedia...

Delphi

It says that it is also known as "Object Pascal."

EDIT:  I don't know.  After looking through that page, I think there might be some better alternatives.  I don't know what this language can do, but LOLCODE sounds easier to pick up.

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Level Database
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 04:16:08 AM »
Pascal is not a language I ever intend code in. :devil:  I had enough experience with Pascal while working on OpenTyrian.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 10:43:40 PM »
Pascal is not a language I ever intend code in. :devil:  I had enough experience with Pascal while working on OpenTyrian.

I don't blame you.  It does look like the hardest programming language I have found information on...