Author Topic: Playing level packs  (Read 2236 times)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
Playing level packs
« on: September 06, 2012, 02:19:48 AM »
Since I've been away from the custom Lemmings scene for a few years, I'm behind the times (or rather, I started working with Lemmini).

My question probably has a painfully obvious answer, but how exactly do you play custom Lemmings level packs in Lemmix? Surely I don't have to manually extract every single level and save it in .lvl format for Lemmix to read.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Playing level packs
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 04:48:54 AM »
I believe you can play custom packs with the Lemmix Clones, not only with the Lemmix editor. I merely know how to do it with the latter, so someone else should probably answer how to do it with the Lemmix Clones.

Here's how to do it with the editor, which is maybe a bit harder: If you don't have the editor, get it from the site and install the Lemmings terrain. There are a couple threads about how to do it, hunt around the forums, or ask again.

If you have the editor working, then open packs via the open file dialog. Select .DAT packs as the viewer format. Unfortunately, there is no option to view at the same time all extensions which Lemmix can open.

-- Simon

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 09:55:57 AM »
I am using the Lemmix Clones - sorry, I should have made that clear.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 04:06:34 AM »
The original clones from Eric's site may not work because the "Original Lemmings" clone only has the graphics sets for that game (and not the ONML graphics sets which some CustLemm levels may use), and similarly for ONML clone (which in addition to missing sets, the numbering scheme of the sets is not compatible with CustLemm's).  At some point I think namida posted an updated version of LemmixPlayer that has all 9 graphics sets included (and numbered just like CustLemm), so I think in principle you can use that one to play CustLemm levels if you can find where he posted it.

It is still of note that there are some minor game-mechanics difference between CustLemm and some of the other games, so some levels may not play out perfectly on the clones:

- on original Lemmings, the entrance ordering for 2 entrances is ABBA rather than ABAB like ONML and CustLemm.  Don't know which ordering namida's modified version uses.

- on original Lemmings, the lemmings come out of entrance trapdoors one more pixel to the left compared with ONML and CustLemm, again not sure how that goes on namida's version.

- On CustLemm only, the maximum safe-fall distance is 3 pixels more than original Lemmings and ONML, so for example in CustLemm the lemmings can safely fall off the end of the platform in "We All Fall Down".  No idea what this is like on namida's version.

Somewhere on either this forum or Eric's site are instructions on how to use the LemmixPlayer clones to play custom levels, I don't have time now to look that up though.

=========================

I personally just use the Lemmix editor to play CustLemm levels, but I can see why using a more game-like program to play the levels can be preferred.  You can of course also just use DOSBox to run CustLemm for real. ;P

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 08:35:56 AM »
That's true, I still have CustLemm lurking around so I can use that.

Given the choice I'd make a large pack for Lemmini, since I can do things like control the background music with that.  I may release something on that front soon.

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 05:34:51 PM »
Namida's LemmixPlayer with all 9 graphics sets was posted here http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?topic=269.0 but the topic is 3 years old and the link doesn't work. However, namida's LPDOS LemmixPlayer works at the same way, and it can be downloaded from here: http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?topic=283.0 The game mechanics are the same as in original Lemmings with ABBA entrance ordering, lemmings landing one pixel left from the entrance and the max-safe-fall distance being 63 pixels. (If I'm not totally wrong...)

Lemmini is still great in my opinion, and I'm so looking forward to play your levels if you're going to release something!