Author Topic: [BUG] Cursor sometimes switches to the "lemming hand" in level select screen  (Read 279 times)

Online WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
I have found that sometimes the mouse cursor will revert to the Lemming hand cursor used in the title screen instead of the Windows mouse pointer ... I have experienced this if the Level Select screen is on-screen and then Alt-Tab or the Windows key is used to switch back to the desktop/another app, and then switched back to SLX.

From a quick look at the code, I can't see anything that would be causing this and I haven't been able to replicate the bug.

If possible, can you give a step-by-step of exactly what leads to this happening as this would greatly help me to find a possible cause (and therefore a fix).

Does it happen in NeoLemmix with the NL menu screen cursor? Has anyone else experienced this?

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
I've definitely seen this happen.

When you more recently made an update I no longer saw this though. I'd open the level-select and open up some level lists and it'd eventually change to the hand.

I can't get mine to do this anymore. you fixed something else about this menu hanging or something and mine never did this again. It was around the time you fixed the menu tile looping thing so it'd stop at the highest difficulty.
...Jeremy Kapp

Online WillLem

• View Profile
OK, thanks Jeremy.

Come to think of it, I think I remember something like this happening when I very first implemented the Amiga cursor, but haven't had it happen in a long time and I'm also struggling to get it to happen.

@Tygerboi - which version of SLX are you using?

Offline Tygerboi

• View Profile
OK, thanks Jeremy.

Come to think of it, I think I remember something like this happening when I very first implemented the Amiga cursor, but haven't had it happen in a long time and I'm also struggling to get it to happen.

@Tygerboi - which version of SLX are you using?

I was actually using v2.7.1.  I have just realised that you're now up to 2.7.3, so have just downloaded that, and the styles pack, so will update my installation and then get back to you with the info you asked for, if the problem recurs.

Online WillLem

• View Profile
OK, I'll keep the topic open for now. Go ahead and let me know if you notice it again, and I'll also keep my eye out for it as well.

Offline Tygerboi

• View Profile
OK, this is still happening in v2.7.3 (screenshot attached).  I have been able to replicate this numerous times now.  It seems to occur when I browse through the different level pack/groups, expanding and then contracting different levels in the tree structure on the left.  It will work fine to start with, then will temporarily freeze/lock up, and the level select window will get the "...(Not Responding)" message in the title bar.  Then it will refresh and become functional again, but with the lemming hand cursor.  If I close the level select window and then reopen it, the cursor reverts back to the Windows mouse cursor again.  Sometimes (less frequently though) when it stops responding it kills SLX entirely, and I have to completely restart it.  This happened when I was testing immediately prior to posting this message.

I am running Windows 10 Pro v22H2 on an Aspire E15 E5-552 (SNID: 54000963676) laptop with 8GB RAM and AMD Radeon R6 on-board graphics, 40GB+ free HD space.  I have no other open apps (apart from MS Edge as I had this page open) and all latest drivers/Windows Updates, etc are installed.  Since I originally posted this issue I have cleared my system and user profile Temp folders, and have obviously shut down/rebooted numerous times.  I do have NordVPN running, but even when I have closed this and all of its associated services (and the same for my AV app), the issue with SLX level select occurs.

It's not a major game-busting issue, and is easy enough to work around, but still is a little frustrating.  I will test again on my desktop PC, which is also running the same version of Windows, with a loosely similar spec - for this issue and the panel issue I raised - to see if I can replicate the issues on there, and then let you know.

Online WillLem

• View Profile
OK, this is still happening in v2.7.3 (screenshot attached).  I have been able to replicate this numerous times now.  It seems to occur when I browse through the different level pack/groups, expanding and then contracting different levels in the tree structure on the left.

OK, I've added this to the list of known bugs and will try to find a fix at some point.

It will work fine to start with, then will temporarily freeze/lock up, and the level select window will get the "...(Not Responding)" message in the title bar.

I've noticed this as well, it's been happening for quite a while. I've also added this to the list of known bugs; the level select menu in general could do with some debugging and bottleneck fixing. I'll take a look at it and see what can be done.