Author Topic: Lemmini - Lemmings for Java - public Alpha  (Read 56584 times)

0xdeadbeef

Re: Lemmini - Lemmings for Java - public Alpha
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2006, 04:59:25 PM »
Quote from: EricLang link=1140547071/75#87 date=1141215305
So you use winlemm as a base. So I must have this.
What about the DOS files? (main.dat, vgaxx.dat, groundxx.dat, levelxxx.dat)

Search the forum. Some guys here (ccexplore and Mindless I guess) investigated the DOS files. I was only interested in the Hires graphics from Winlemm.

tseug

« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2006, 05:14:53 PM »
What is the best free disassembler that anyone here knows of?

0xdeadbeef

« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2006, 06:09:40 PM »
Did you try PvDASM?
http://pvdasm.reverse-engineering.net/index.php?Section=1

I must admit however that I used the trial of PE Explorer the last time I felt the need for a disassembler.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2006, 08:35:35 PM »
Quote from: 0xdeadbeef link=1140547071/75#89 date=1141232101
Having the normal cursor AND the border for the lemming is a bit...strange (to me). I don't like it actually. Waiting for other opinions...
The Windows version does the same thing, but border and cursor are monochrome and less bold. Maybe it would look better with a little thinner graphics. Anyway, I must admit I like the idea of split Lemmings frame and cursor for a number of reasons.
Then you seem to have a different version of WinLemm since in my version either the cursor (when no lemming is selected) or the border appears, but never both.

I actually like the idea that the selected lemming is pointed out. It's just that having additionally to the cursor the border around the lemming makes it unintelligible and somewhat strange.
Just to give a different aspect, in Cheapo an arrow from above is pointing on the lemming that would be selected.

0xdeadbeef

« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2006, 08:47:55 PM »
Quote from: geoo89 link=1140547071/90#93 date=1141245335
Quote from: 0xdeadbeef link=1140547071/75#89 date=1141232101
]Then you seem to have a different version of WinLemm since in my version either the cursor (when no lemming is selected) or the border appears, but never both.

I actually like the idea that the selected lemming is pointed out. It's just that having additionally to the cursor the border around the lemming makes it unintelligible and somewhat strange.
Just to give a different aspect, in Cheapo an arrow from above is pointing on the lemming that would be selected.

Right, I confused WinLemm with DHTML lemmings.

0xdeadbeef

« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2006, 11:11:24 PM »
Fixes/Changes 0.43 -> 0.44
#  Reworked whole redrawing scheme. Redraw will take a little longer
    but "hidden" exits don't need special treatment any more. Also graphical
    glitches like removed pixels in water should be gone now.
#  Checked/Fixed lemmings leaving playfield and according Exceptions
#  Fixed Diggers "hanging" on steel in special situations

Well, I'd bet I screwed something when changing the redraw since this was a major one.
I'd be also interested if the performance was degraded distinctly from a prior version
to 0.44.

tseug

« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2006, 04:10:32 AM »
Quote from: 0xdeadbeef link=1140547071/90#92 date=1141236580
Did you try PvDASM?
http://pvdasm.reverse-engineering.net/index.php?Section=1

I must admit however that I used the trial of PE Explorer the last time I felt the need for a disassembler.
That looks good for a PE, but it can't disassemble lemmings. (which is what I'm trying to do, I should have been clearer)

0xdeadbeef

« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2006, 06:16:35 PM »
Then why don't you use a trial of one of the commercial disassemblers (PE Explorer, BDASM, IDA Pro or whatever)?
At least some of them should still support 16bit executables.

tseug

« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2006, 09:05:24 PM »
The trial of IDA Pro wasn't good. I shall use google.....

EDIT: All disassemblers seem to be:
free, good, can disassemble dos exe   -   choose 2

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Level Database
« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2006, 11:31:14 PM »
Are any of the ones listed on Wikipedia of any use?

0xdeadbeef

« Reply #100 on: March 02, 2006, 11:55:38 PM »
To get this back on topic, the usual release after midnight (boy I need some sleep)

Fixes/Changes 0.44 -> 0.45
#  Reworked MiniMap internals. Also "hidden" exits are no longer shown neither in the Minimap nor in the level preview (briefing).
#  Reworked Floaters: there's a little "jump" up when the parachutes opens
#  New debouncing for release rate icons/keys: first press is debounced, then the RR increases/decreases faster
#  Reworked nuking. Now really no lemming can survive a nuke. Also types like exiting or drowning lemmings should get nuked.
#  Messed around with "free pixels above" again to improve builder behaviour.

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2006, 02:58:29 PM »
I FINALLY got around to playing this.  Excellent, excellent, EXCELLENT job.  I like it much better than WinLemm.

0xdeadbeef

« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2006, 05:59:56 PM »
Nice to hear that some folks actually like it  :D

Anyway, here is version 0.50  (and no, I won't change my chaotic version numbers  ;D)
The game is pretty much complete now feature wise. I will probably rework the menus a little and may add replay if anybody wants it, but I think it's ok to call it a beta now, since it's pretty close to what I imagined to be the first "real" release.
I also think I fixed all of the bugs noticed by ccexplore and other testers (apart from graphical thinks like horns, colors etc.).
Yet I am convinced that there are still lots of bugs around. So give it a try.

Fixes/Changes 0.44 -> 0.50
#  Changed: Player handling is in (Menu "Player"). This also means that only the first
    level of each difficulty level is available by default (see below).
#  Changed: new Menu item "Enter Level Code". The Amiga level codes should work.
    To enable all Levels for testing, use levelcode "0xdeadbeef". This also enables debug/cheat mode
    (press "C"). In cheat mode, create a lemming at the cursor position with "space" or draw/erase
    bricks by pressing left/mouse button after changing to draw mode with "D".
#  Changed some pixels in the number font. So 2, 8 and 9 should be a little better to keep apart.
#  Fixed entry order for levels with 3 entries (was shifted by one). However, WinLemm doesn't
    have special treatment for 3 entries at all.
#  Reworked dirt_39 since a one pixel offset would lead to a fall in Mayhem - 1 being not
    lethal.
#  Increased safe fall distance to 126 and moved this as configuration entry to the levelpack inis
    (so "oh no" and orginal lemmings could have different safe fall distances). To keep Mayhem 1 fall
    from trapdoor lethal, I changed the entry (foot) position to 20 hires pixels under the upper
    trapdoor coordinates. I may add that in Winlemm, the fall from the trapdoor is NOT lethal,
    but it is in the Amiga version.
#  Added more debriefing screens. Should be complete now???
#  Fixed: Scolling via MiniMap or mouseDragging could cause screen flicker.
#  Fixed: on the rightmost border of the level, dragging the mouse left didn't work
#  Reworked homepage a little: some minimal instructions can be found there now

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Level Database
« Reply #103 on: March 05, 2006, 12:18:18 AM »
Quote from: 0xdeadbeef link=1140547071/90#102 date=1141495196
   To enable all Levels for testing, use levelcode "0xdeadbeef". This also enables debug/cheat mode
    (press "C"). In cheat mode, create a lemming at the cursor position with "space" or draw/erase
    bricks by pressing left/mouse button after changing to draw mode with "D".
Debug cheating is way too fun.  ;D

0xdeadbeef

« Reply #104 on: March 05, 2006, 12:41:05 AM »
I think the debug features are really helpful for testing borderline cases - that's why I posted how to enable them.
Then again, I must admit I caught myself trying to solve levels by only painting and erasing in cheat/draw mode  ;)