Author Topic: Lemmini - Lemmings for Java - public Alpha  (Read 56602 times)

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Level Database
Re: Lemmini - Lemmings for Java - public Alpha
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2006, 02:38:21 AM »
When on the level intro screen, the level starts upon mouse button press, could you have it wait until the button is released?

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2006, 08:55:17 PM »
Due to your new changes indeed some new bugs appeared:
- builders hitting their head don't turn around anymore, they just keep on building
- when a digger has finished digging or is assigned a skill, he'll walk/execute that skill to the right, no matter what direction he went before
- the bug that lemmings don't walk up bridges starting on slopes (http://207.58.177.175/~geoo89/lemmings/slope_builder.PNG) is back again, however it only seems to happen in special cases: I could only reproduce it in Tame 5 on a miner's slope building to the left, and even then it happened not everytime

#  Explosions speed up with FF and stop when paused.
I don't know whether you forgot or justs did not do, but also objects should be speeded up in FF.

#  Messed around with fall distance and entry height
The we all fall down levels are solvable now and Mayhem 1 works correctly, but 'Take care, Sweetie' (Wild 16) is still impossible: the second fall on the left should actually be survivable, but it isn't. Since everything seems to work fine for original lemmings, perhaps you could do it the same way it is done in the DOS versions: setting the max-safe fall distance of ONML 3 (low-res)-px higher than the distance for original lemmings?

0xdeadbeef

« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2006, 10:23:33 PM »
Small update only (yet no resource extraction this time)...

Fixed/Changes 0.4 -> 0.41
#  FF speeds up object animations as well
#  Some memory optimizations - Memory footprint should be distinctly reduced
#  Builders stop building when reaching ceiling again (bug introduced in 0.3)
#  Diggers "remember" direction (bug introduced in 0.3)
#  Fixed error in fall distance calculation for walker converted into fallers -> fixes lethal fall in WILD 16
    (bug introduced in 0.2 while fixing ccexplore's bug #0)

About "safe distances": I'll most probably put that in the ini file of the levelpack (orig.ini and ohno.ini). So people can also define their own safe distances in their own levelpacks. Anyway, at the moment, a lemming will splat if it fell at least 123 hires pixels. Following ccexplore and others, it should survive even a fall of 126  hires pixels (63 lores pixels). I had problems with this higher value though - but I begin to think this was related to the wrong fall distance calculation for walkers turning into fallers.
Will have to check again, but most probably I can go up to 126 being safe now...

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2006, 12:24:21 AM »
Quote from: 0xdeadbeef link=1140547071/75#77 date=1141079013
Fixed/Changes 0.4 -> 0.41
I've talked to ccexplore about this before.

With 0.41 (or 0.4.1), at this point:

I get this error:

Every time.

0xdeadbeef

« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2006, 11:19:20 AM »
Ok, again a new bug introduced by a bug fix (giving the digger back his direction) :-[
Will be fixed this evening - I can't sign the Jar from work.

0xdeadbeef

« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2006, 05:54:13 PM »
Just a small update, yet with resource extraction for the builder issue.
Hope I didn't mess any things this time...

Any news regarding crashes on '98?

Fixed 0.41 -> 0.42
#  Fixed Builder mask (again) to work better on slopes (resource extraction)
#  Fixed ArrayOutOfBoundException thrown when accessing second direction for lemmings
   with only one direction (bug introduced in 0.41 when fixing digger direction
   "memory")

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2006, 08:23:17 PM »
When a climber climbed out at the top of the game field (Havoc 7: 'Creature discomforts', lemming of the left entrance is made climber), I got the following error message: http://207.58.177.175/~geoo89/lemmings/Error_1.PNG

Also, climbers (output) look as they'd be climbing a little in the wall, and at least for climbers facing left, I noticed when they hit the top, there's one frame they get walker (you can assign any skill at that point) before they fall.

And also, builders hitting their head aren't checked correctly still: they can still build a few (three or four) steps too far when their head is already in the terrain, I suppose it's just the checked pixel that is the wrong one.

0xdeadbeef

« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2006, 10:55:46 PM »
Fixes/Changes 0.42 -> 0.43
#  Builders shouldn't be able to leave the screen any more to the top
    causing ArrayOutOfBoundExceptions
#  Added basic priority handling for "lemmings under cursor"
    Please tell me if it's ok this way.
#  Reworked entry timing: Lemmings can only enter level if trapdoor is fully opened
#  Music starts only after trapdoor opened
#  Floater, climber or both skills (athlete) are displayed as "(f)", "(c)" and "(a)" behind
    the main skill. Just a test to hear some opinions on this.
#  Reworked Cursor: active Lemming gets its own border, so it's clearer which lemming is
    active. Mixture of Winlemm and Miga look. Also the Cursor is the default Cursor now,
    so it moves smoother

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2006, 02:40:53 AM »
Just a couple of notes:
 - Lemmings don't get the updraft that they should when opening thier umbrellas.
 - For the sake of future customizablilty, please use separate graphics for left and right animations (e.g. walkers, fallers, etc.).

Again... (you probably just missed it earlier)
Actually, by version number standards, 0.41 is newer than 0.5 since it would be the 41st minor revision. Bug fixes usually go under the third revision section (e.g. 0.4.1)

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2006, 11:33:39 AM »
@MisterDeadbeef:

Can you supply me with some technical information about graphic en level files?
I'm starting my own lemming-clone programming project (it will be freeware too).
Thanks,
Eric

0xdeadbeef

« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2006, 11:52:46 AM »
For info on SPR and PAL formats, have a look in this thread.
http://forum.lemmingswelt.de/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1132849781
I posted about everything I know there.

For the LVL format, just google for "lemmings level format".

BTW: do you aim for smaller/different platforms (PDA, cellular phone, GBA) or why would you start your own remake?

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2006, 12:09:44 PM »
Ok thanks.
I start my remake because of hobby. I'm programming databases now and this is much more fun.
I'm using delphi so it's a pure win-application (or eventually Linux)

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2006, 12:15:05 PM »
So you use winlemm as a base. So I must have this.
What about the DOS files? (main.dat, vgaxx.dat, groundxx.dat, levelxxx.dat)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2006, 03:14:32 PM »
Quote from: 0xdeadbeef link=1140547071/75#82 date=1141167346
#  Added basic priority handling for "lemmings under cursor"
    Please tell me if it's ok this way.
I got an error message caused by the new addition to the text saying what lemming is selected. http://207.58.177.175/~geoo89/lemmings/Error_2.PNG
It was outputting "Walker(f)-12" and was giong to switch to "Builder" which was probably too long.
About the general system, I don't know too much about the original one, but it seems ok, as far as I checked.

#  Reworked Cursor: active Lemming gets its own border, so it's clearer which lemming is
    active. Mixture of Winlemm and Miga look. Also the Cursor is the default Cursor now,
    so it moves smoother
Having the normal cursor AND the border for the lemming is a bit...strange (to me). I don't like it actually. Waiting for other opinions...

0xdeadbeef

« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2006, 04:55:01 PM »
Quote from: geoo89 link=1140547071/75#88 date=1141226072
It was outputting "Walker(f)-12" and was giong to switch to "Builder" which was probably too long.
OK, I did a "silent" update on this one. Should not happen again...

Having the normal cursor AND the border for the lemming is a bit...strange (to me). I don't like it actually. Waiting for other opinions...
The Windows version does the same thing, but border and cursor are monochrome and less bold. Maybe it would look better with a little thinner graphics. Anyway, I must admit I like the idea of split Lemmings frame and cursor for a number of reasons.