Author Topic: Lemmings re-make  (Read 49106 times)

Online Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings re-make
« Reply #165 on: January 19, 2006, 09:16:05 PM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)(Guest) link=1135291547/150#164 date=1137704809
Wow, it's been a while, I didn't even realize your intended solution is affected too.

Don't worry though, I can rearrange things so that the topmost row of pixels of the steel plates are non-metal. &#A0;Then the explosion will work, although it does look slightly unusual since it will also take out steel parts as well. &#A0;But I'm guessing as long as you can't bomb thru the steel completely (and you can't it's too thick) things should be ok.
Hmm. Just so long as that doesn't make it possible to bypass the traps by digging / blowing the ground under the triggers.....

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 19, 2006, 09:31:06 PM »
I'm actually already aware of that possibility, so the plan is to extend the steel area further up at the part with the traps.  I also plan to have tseug test out to make sure the traps cannot be bypassed.

JM

« Reply #167 on: January 20, 2006, 09:17:57 AM »
Is the Custlemm version of Rhapsody in blue able for download yet?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 20, 2006, 10:02:04 AM »
Patient, it still takes time to fill up the crystal floor even if I'm not following Ahribar's arrangement exactly.  Let's aim for Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 20, 2006, 11:16:19 AM »
 :)  Wonderful!

Will you continue with the MIDIs after that, or do you have other things to do?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 20, 2006, 10:54:07 PM »
I was going to remake some more of your levels, but I guess I'll do the MIDIs first. ;)

The interruption from the MIDI since Xmas was mainly due to the investigation on hacking adlib.dat so that custom music can be incorporated for the special graphics levels.

tseug

« Reply #171 on: January 21, 2006, 01:49:17 AM »
Quote from: tseug link=1135291547/150#150 date=1137633725
Quote from: Leviathan link=1135291547/135#147 date=1137625960
Another level,this time in the pink set :)

It should combine 3 tricks:
-blocking lems with builders
-another (easy) method of blocking the lems on the other side
-a very neat basher trick

If there are no backroutes,it could be cathegorized as late taxing/begin mayhem I suppose.

http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/lemmingswelt/index.php?cmd=get&file=levelpacks/bashtr.dat
I see three ways:
Block off both ends and repeatedly bash to get higher. (probably intended)
Use the builder turn-around trick. (probably not)
Use the sliding glitch. (no way)
The sliding glitch doesn't help because the digger has to be used on the right group. So there are two ways. I'll get to screenshots at some point...

EDIT: The solution that involves turning around is too difficult to be any concern. Here's a screenshot of what was probably intended: screenshot
I accidentally lost one to the trap, but that could have been avoided.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 21, 2006, 10:44:45 AM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)(Guest) link=1135291547/165#170 date=1137797647
The interruption from the MIDI since Xmas was mainly due to the investigation on hacking adlib.dat so that custom music can be incorporated for the special graphics levels.
Ah, that's OK.  ::)  Just so long as you weren't idling about!

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 21, 2006, 12:08:25 PM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)(Guest) link=1135291547/165#170 date=1137797647
I was going to remake some more of your levels, but I guess I'll do the MIDIs first. ;)
Just so you know, if you do remake some of the others (and I'd be very happy if you did), I've made a slight change to "Lift us up where we belong" / "Just a Minute Part Four" to eliminate a couple of backroutes. I changed the square metal plate under the trapdoor to a vertical rectangular one, still touching the wall with a space on its left.

Oh, and I found a 100% solution to "We'll meet again"! I surprise myself sometimes......

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 23, 2006, 01:50:30 PM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)(Guest) link=1135291547/165#168 date=1137751324
Patient, it still takes time to fill up the crystal floor even if I'm not following Ahribar's arrangement exactly. &#A0;Let's aim for Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon.
Ok, the level is ready for beta-testing.  Here's the screenshot:

And the level can be downloaded at:

http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/lemmingswelt/index.php?cmd=get&file=levelpacks/rhapblue.lvl

I haven't gotten around to testing the level yet, so at this point I haven't even confirmed yet that it is solvable, let alone backroutes.  I do encourage geoo89, tseug and others to really try to find a backroute.  Feel free to view the level in lemedit so you understand the steel area placement, which I hope will help eliminate potential backroutes.  Also let me know whether the slicer trap to the right of the electrode traps is actually necessary.

I actually haven't really decided yet on the steel area placement.  The current setup has the ground at y=119 and the steel at y=120, except a couple of places where the steel is raised to y=116 (in LemEdit steel coordinates are always aligned to multiples of 4).  An alternative setup I'm contemplating would have both the ground and the steel at y=120, except a few places where the steel is lowered to y=124.  For those who understand what I'm getting at, please let me know which choice you'd prefer.

I have decided however not to include any water, in contrast to the original Cheapo version.  Because in CustLemm you can't make the level width smaller than the maximum, I'd have to extend the water all the way to the left and right boundaries.  And I don't think that's any better than simply leaving those unused areas (more than a screen's worth) blank.  Of course, if you feel inspired to fill up those blank areas in some gorgeous ways, do so, but please upload a differently-named file and a screenshot so Ahribar can approve/disapprove.

Leviathan

« Reply #175 on: January 23, 2006, 02:37:23 PM »
I think it's possible tempering with the blocker feeld however timing a specific bomber must be pixel-precise so I guess it's nearly impossible to destroy the steel.

However breaking the steel might be possible with a bomber from above and a bomber from below...I'll try that later :)

What is the intended solution to this level?

Leviathan

« Reply #176 on: January 23, 2006, 03:19:23 PM »
I did it :)
96% saved within 3 minutes leaving a spare floater and climber.

I guess my solution was very difficult to pull off but it worked (I played in plain dos so I couldn't make a screenshot :()
Here's what I did:

[highlight]-Make the first lem a blocker somewhere before the traps.
-Set a bomb on the second lemming and have a third one climb up the tall structure.
-The bomber should have destroyed large parts of the steel and the climber should be turned around by a builder once on top the structure by building to the crystals.
-The climber builds towards the sphere and digs down when he's beyond the traps and is made a floater.
-Once the lem is down,have him turn around on the edge of the steel block and mine down when he goes the other direction.
-Have him bash once he's sufficiently deep under the steel blocks (when bashing under the steel no "regular" terrain should remain under the steel blocks.
-Bomb the basher and time the bomber so that he explodes right under the crater of the first bomber.
-Set a blocker at the bottom of the crater and use the steel failiure glitch to remove the last 3 pixels of steel and remove the blocker if he isn't released by himself (by using the last basher).
[/highlight]

It was very fun to see this actually working :)

JM

« Reply #177 on: January 23, 2006, 05:21:49 PM »
The scenery of the level is quite cool. I haven't passed the level yet but I'll try and pass it later.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 23, 2006, 06:09:40 PM »
Hmm, that's an annoying backroute. I'm glad it's not my job to work out how to fix it!  :P

I'll put the intended solution on a webpage, so you don't have to see it but you can look if you want to. The address will be http://www.geocities.com/zarathustra47/Rhapsody.html

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 23, 2006, 06:23:55 PM »
Quote from: Leviathan link=1135291547/165#175 date=1138027043
However breaking the steel might be possible with a bomber from above and a bomber from below...
Ah, good catch! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Thanks, I'll try to fix it later tonight.