Author Topic: Lemmings re-make  (Read 49167 times)

Leviathan

Re: Lemmings re-make
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2006, 11:03:23 PM »
I modified my level to eliminate the nuke backroute and the other backroute I detected on that webcam picture :)
I also added a little bit more scenery on the left,I'm thinking about making the level a bit more symmetric (also add terrain at the right of the center).
http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/lemmingswelt/index.php?cmd=get&file=levelpacks/seven2.dat

In fact another trick (digging at the edge of steel) is also involved.

BTW Mindless,I've played your level and it's certainly not easy...people who don't know the use of the pause hotkey are destined to fail every time :)
I hope the intended solution involves using the pillar,if not I found a backroute and saved exactly the 62% I required.

tseug

« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2006, 11:32:02 PM »
The nuke backroute still works. You will have to eliminate all places where a lemming can turn around just by building.

EDIT: Places so far: a certain part of grass, the top of the lump

EDIT2: I found the intended solution (uses all the skills and all the tricks you mentioned)

Leviathan

« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2006, 11:57:32 PM »
I knew where the grass part was and I think I eliminated that in the new version...but I didn't realize the rock I put down there for delay (otherwise dig-build worked too at a certain spot) provided an even more obvious turning-around point :)

Tomorrow I'll make a third version when I have the time...but if there are any other comments on how to improve the level I'dd be glad to read them ;)

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Level Database
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2006, 04:05:43 AM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)(Guest) link=1135291547/45#56 date=1136073469
Quote from: Mindless link=1135291547/45#53 date=1136054905
Quote from: tseug link=1135291547/45#51 date=1136006569
uhhh.... have you ever played onml? That level is certainly nowhere near the lame levels.
I've played... maybe the first 10 levels.  :-[
Mindless, you do realize tseug means your level is not "lame" enough right? ;)

That being said, I really don't want 20 lame levels for the ONML remake.  Ideally it should have maybe a few Fun-type levels and then the rest are more Tricky-like, in going with the trend that ONML is supposed to be generally harder than Lemmings.

Incidentally, are we still restricting ourselves so that only the four ONML graphics sets are used for the ONML remake?  Because if so then Mindless's level, which uses the Lemmings Hell set, wouldn't qualify for the ONML remake anyway.
Yeah, I understood.  My comment was somewhat meant to be a joke....  Anyway, are we doing an ONML remake first? or is that the only remake we're doing?  I'm a bit confused, but put my level wherever it belongs.  If nothing else, my level is probably simple enough to be remade with another style.

Jazzem

« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2006, 12:09:44 PM »
Quote from: Mindless link=1135291547/60#63 date=1136174743
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)(Guest) link=1135291547/45#56 date=1136073469
Quote from: Mindless link=1135291547/45#53 date=1136054905
Quote from: tseug link=1135291547/45#51 date=1136006569
uhhh.... have you ever played onml? That level is certainly nowhere near the lame levels.
I've played... maybe the first 10 levels.  :-[
Mindless, you do realize tseug means your level is not "lame" enough right? ;)

That being said, I really don't want 20 lame levels for the ONML remake.  Ideally it should have maybe a few Fun-type levels and then the rest are more Tricky-like, in going with the trend that ONML is supposed to be generally harder than Lemmings.

Incidentally, are we still restricting ourselves so that only the four ONML graphics sets are used for the ONML remake?  Because if so then Mindless's level, which uses the Lemmings Hell set, wouldn't qualify for the ONML remake anyway.
Yeah, I understood.  My comment was somewhat meant to be a joke....  Anyway, are we doing an ONML remake first? or is that the only remake we're doing?  I'm a bit confused, but put my level wherever it belongs.  If nothing else, my level is probably simple enough to be remade with another style.

Basically, we're doing remakes of both games. We're gping to go for Lemmings first which will only use terrain types 0-4. The ONML remake will follow, and use
the following terrain 5-8.

Leviathan

« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2006, 06:14:51 PM »
Finally after hours of trying I can access this forum...

I made a radical change to eliminate the nuke backroute and now,the level should be 100% perfect when it comes to backroutes...

http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/lemmingswelt/index.php?cmd=get&file=levelpacks/seven3.dat

Any other comment would be appreciated too :)

EDIT: link modded

tseug

« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2006, 09:47:54 PM »
You linked to the old version. The link should say seven3 instead of seven2.

EDIT: The level looks fine to me.

Leviathan

« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2006, 09:58:24 PM »
So this level can have a "go" to put somewhere in the mayhem cathegory later on?

Are there any more people who already made a level for this remake?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2006, 07:38:20 PM »
Quote from: Conway link=1135291547/15#29 date=1135455595
and I don't know how we're going to get it out to the rest of the world.
I guess one way to start off is to go to the wikipedia entry for "Lemmings" and add a link there to a web page we set up that people can use to download the remake.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2006, 09:07:06 PM »
Quote from: Leviathan link=1135291547/60#67 date=1136239104
Are there any more people who already made a level for this remake?
Like I said, I've got a few levels that would be adequate, but they're in Cheapo so someone would have to remake them -- but tell me if you're interested and I can provide the screenshots and level information.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2006, 10:54:35 PM »
I have several levels I can use, and I can also make a few new ones for the set if I can figure out how to run CustLemm3 in DOSBox. Seriously, I can't figure out DOSBox.  :(
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2006, 11:14:11 PM »
Quote from: Insane Steve link=1135291547/60#70 date=1136501675
Seriously, I can't figure out DOSBox. &#C2;&#A0;:(
What trouble are you having?

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2006, 02:28:00 AM »
I don't know what command prompt I need to type to run the program. I mounted the program, now I need to figure out what to type to actually run it.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2006, 02:41:22 AM »
Ok, I assume you mount c to the physical c drive (or whatever letter your hard disk is), which means you did

mount c c:\

You then need to change to the directory containing CustLemm or LemEdit.  On my home computer for example I put LemEdit and its variants at c:\lemedit, and custlemm and its variants at c:\lemedit\custlemm.  So I would do

cd "c:\lemedit"
lemedit

to launch LemEdit, and

cd "c:\lemedit\custlemm"
custlemm

to launch CustLemm.  Replace "lemedit" or "custlemm" with the filename of the various hacks (eg. nocdlem, custlem2, lemedit2 etc.) to run the corresponding program.

Note that because DOSBox emulates real DOS, filenames cannot be longer than 8 characters.  If your directory path to lemedit or custlemm has a portion that is not named in a DOS compatible manner, I suggest you rename it.  So no c:\thisistoofreakinglongforDOS\lemedit.

Hope this helps.

Oh yeah, almost forgot:  for CustLemm and CustLem2, because it expects a CD-ROM drive, you need to also do

mount d d:\ -t cdrom

(replace d:\ with whatever drive letter your CD-ROM is on your computer) before CustLemm/CustLem2 will run.  The hacks nocdlem and nocdlem2, as their names suggest, does not require you to mount the CDROM drive, as they play the original music that comes with the game.

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2006, 03:21:47 AM »
I type mount c c: at it says my c drive doesn't exist. What the hell.

I fail at computers.

Ok, I mistyped that line and it worked, now I type "cd c:/lemedit3" and I get "Unable to change to c:/lemedit3" ... BAH

EDIT 2: Finally got it. After about 20 minutes of fiddling. Thank you for your help.

EDIT 3: Hey, first new LemEdit level in about a year. Well, not quite -- I still have to fiddle with the release rate, and I re-discovered the joys of not having the exit on a place where lemmings enter it, and there's a couple of pain-in-the-behind bombers to time (well... one, really. The other isn't that hard)... and it's a Cheapo re-make of sorts with the solution very slightly changed (and the terrain set also messed with), but it is finished, in concept. I tried to make the level as aesthetically pleasing as possible, since it will (if you all like it) be placed into a publicly released, professional-looking re-make.

It's a re-make of "The Top Shelf" (with the Crystal Graphics) and I project it to be somewhere in mid-late Mayhem. Somewhere. Then again, we'll see what everyone else makes.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano