Author Topic: Lemmings re-make  (Read 49174 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings re-make
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2005, 04:34:41 AM »
Quote from: Jazzem link=1135291547/30#39 date=1135696730
Fairly colourful I guess, I'm sure I could fit in some question mark blocks and a goomba or two, and I could blend two similar colours into the same.
From your screenshot of Mario, I counted 3 colors for Mario, 2 shades of green, the white and blue in the cloud, and the brown from the floor.  Only 8 colors.  Eliminating the blue from the cloud and you're already down to 7 colors without changing anything else.  Going down to just one shade of green and it's just 6 colors.

---------------

Aside:  one thing worth keeping in mind is that in vgaspecX, black is always background.  So if the game uses black as a major color (rather than something like outlining which can usually be omitted), you might need to change it to something else.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2005, 04:39:11 AM »
Quote from: Timballisto link=1135291547/30#35 date=1135660672
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)(Guest) link=1135291547/30#34 date=1135649875
I changed the max safe-fall distance to match CustLemm's.
Custlemm2? &#A0;If not then this program would be bad for my levels, but oh well.
Sorry, I choose CustLemm as the standard because that's what most people uses.  But don't worry, since it's just a 3-pixel difference, most levels should be unaffected, and the few that are affected can probably be fixed without much difficulty.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2005, 06:33:09 AM »
Quote from: Ahribar link=1135291547/30#40 date=1135713314
Quote from: Jazzem link=1135291547/30#36 date=1135690926
I've already created a few levels based on other games -- Repton, Prince of Persia, FF7, Minesweeper. And I'm planning on doing a Worms one when I find time, too. Those are all for Cheapo, though.
Repton and Prince of Persia are good choices for vgaspecX since those games don't use many colors, especially Repton.  Minesweeper might also work although obviously you won't get a gray background, and you won't have 8 different colors for the numbers.

Perhaps we can look at your Cheapo levels and try to create an adapted version for LemEdit use.  I do remember that most of those levels are vertically more than one screen high, so probably all we could do is to borrow the levels' high-level concepts somehow, and then redesign them in the much smaller area available for LemEdit vgaspecX levels.

One thing to note is, since vgaspecX only covers the terrain, there is currently no customizing of interactive objects yet, unlike the special graphics you find in Cheapo.  I suppose if there's great demand I can start working on programs to help with customizing interactive objects, but then again, in the original game they too just stuck the standard entrances and exits into special graphics levels, and they didn't even bother with traps.  Would people prefer to have the ability to customize interactive objects, or would it be liveable to do it the original-game way?

Oh yeah, and music.  I currently don't know anything about how music is done in DOS Lemmings, and I'm not particularly sure about hacking adlib.dat to change the music, so for the current plan there is 2 choices:

1) keep the original special graphics music, even though it would surely be weird to hear the music for "A Beast of a Level" in a Super Mario level ;)

2) hack lemnew.exe so it just plays normal music even on special graphics levels.

Vote?  Note that the ideal choice of actually changing the music in adlib.dat is not completely out of the question, but it's something you shouldn't count on at this point if ever.

Don't even ask about sound effects, it won't happen; the sound capabilities of DOS Lemmings doesn't really support very good sound effects anyhow.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2005, 11:10:18 AM »
Yes -- all my "special graphics" levels except The Land of Nightmares are more than one screen high, so it would be difficult to adapt them for LemEdit. (TLON uses graphics from the four Lemmings special levels, but mixed on one level, and therefore uses too many colours to be suitable.) However, let me know if you'd like to use any of my other Cheapo levels -- there are plenty of good ones, such as "Zorn's Lemming" and "Just a Minute (Part Five)" that don't require vertical scrolling.

Jazzem

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2005, 12:10:18 PM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)(Guest) link=1135291547/45#45 date=1135744481
Quote from: Jazzem link=1135291547/30#39 date=1135696730
Fairly colourful I guess, I'm sure I could fit in some question mark blocks and a goomba or two, and I could blend two similar colours into the same.
From your screenshot of Mario, I counted 3 colors for Mario, 2 shades of green, the white and blue in the cloud, and the brown from the floor.  Only 8 colors.  Eliminating the blue from the cloud and you're already down to 7 colors without changing anything else.  Going down to just one shade of green and it's just 6 colors.

---------------

Aside:  one thing worth keeping in mind is that in vgaspecX, black is always background.  So if the game uses black as a major color (rather than something like outlining which can usually be omitted), you might need to change it to something else.

I doubt I'd include Mario in, in fact probably not even Goombas or the ilk, so question mark blocks and clouds ahoy I guess. I'll look into it when I get back from England.

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Level Database
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2005, 03:19:16 AM »
This is a bit off topic, but I've finally made a level.  I'm sure it's unoriginal and probably not very difficult, but I figured that maybe it could be one of the "Lame" levels of the remake. ;D

KINDNESS.LVL

tseug

« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2005, 05:22:49 AM »
uhhh.... have you ever played onml? That level is certainly nowhere near the lame levels.

Leviathan

« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2005, 10:32:17 AM »
Quote from: Mindless link=1135291547/45#50 date=1135999156
This is a bit off topic, but I've finally made a level. &#A0;I'm sure it's unoriginal and probably not very difficult, but I figured that maybe it could be one of the "Lame" levels of the remake. ;D

KINDNESS.LVL

It doesn't look bad altough it could use some more scenery (at least 2 pillars on the bottom) ;)

I've created a Dirt set level called "se7en" where you have to save all 7 lems in one minute...
I would rate the difficulty as mid-mayhem or something.
The level contains no glitches but 2 very neat tricks (the razors edge trick and the trick I mentioned to turn around a lemming on steel).

I don't know how to create a screenshot but the level's here:
http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/lemmingswelt/index.php?cmd=get&file=levelpacks/seven.LVL

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Level Database
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2005, 06:48:25 PM »
Quote from: tseug link=1135291547/45#51 date=1136006569
uhhh.... have you ever played onml? That level is certainly nowhere near the lame levels.
I've played... maybe the first 10 levels.  :-[

Quote from: Leviathan link=1135291547/45#52 date=1136025137
It doesn't look bad altough it could use some more scenery (at least 2 pillars on the bottom) ;)
Nah... I like it's minimalistic look.  :P

Quote from: Leviathan link=1135291547/45#52 date=1136025137
I've created a Dirt set level called "se7en" where you have to save all 7 lems in one minute...
I would rate the difficulty as mid-mayhem or something.
The level contains no glitches but 2 very neat tricks (the razors edge trick and the trick I mentioned to turn around a lemming on steel).

I don't know how to create a screenshot but the level's here:
http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/lemmingswelt/index.php?cmd=get&file=levelpacks/seven.LVL

tseug

« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2005, 07:25:29 PM »
Hit the nuke button and make the first lem build to turn around. :P

EDIT: I used both of those tricks but I ended up with a basher and a builder left over. I just ran custlemm without dosbox, which works fine, except that printscreen doesn't work. So meanwhile here a really bad picture of the screen. (really bad picture)

Jazzem

« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2005, 08:07:02 PM »
2) hack lemnew.exe so it just plays normal music even on special graphics levels.

That seems ideal, there's very little else the Beast/Awesome/etc music would accompany well, but I'm sure we could apply the normal lemmings music to a lot of things.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2005, 11:57:49 PM »
Quote from: Mindless link=1135291547/45#53 date=1136054905
Quote from: tseug link=1135291547/45#51 date=1136006569
I've played... maybe the first 10 levels. &#A0;:-[
Mindless, you do realize tseug means your level is not "lame" enough right? ;)

That being said, I really don't want 20 lame levels for the ONML remake.  Ideally it should have maybe a few Fun-type levels and then the rest are more Tricky-like, in going with the trend that ONML is supposed to be generally harder than Lemmings.

Incidentally, are we still restricting ourselves so that only the four ONML graphics sets are used for the ONML remake?  Because if so then Mindless's level, which uses the Lemmings Hell set, wouldn't qualify for the ONML remake anyway.

JM

« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2006, 12:13:10 PM »
That picture is awful. Did you use a webcam to take the picture?

Leviathan

« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2006, 03:34:09 PM »
I'll remove the nuke and the other backroute soon :)

tseug

« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2006, 06:45:15 PM »
I used a webcam. The reason it is so bad is because there isn't any way to adjust brightness while in custlemm.

EDIT: I'm not sure what the quality of the jpg is, but I think it's something like 25%....

EDIT: It's 75%. That's part of why the edges are bad....