Author Topic: Lemmings comming to Sony PSP  (Read 16837 times)

Re: Lemmings comming to Sony PSP
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2005, 09:28:34 AM »
Quote from: drumnbach  link=1116495432/30#39 date=1117064528
The high-resolution graphics may open up a lot of back doors, too.

Not necessarily.  You don't have to scale the resolution of the game mechanics up with the actual resolution.  So for example, the original Lemmings on the PC runs at a resolution of 320x200.  If they scale this to 960x600, they can still make the game-mechanics "pixel" actually be a 3x3 square of "real pixels", so that the game mechanics remain at a 320x200 resolution but the graphics can be rendered at the higher resolution.  The only disadvantage of this is that counting pixels (the game-mechanical type) become harder, but then again, it would already be hard to count the tinier pixels you get when you stick to true pixel-level precision in the game mechanics.

Incidentally, anyone knows what screen resolutions the PSP supports?  Given that it's just a handheld, the screen can't be that large, so perhaps it doesn't even go much above the 320x200 the original PC Lemmings runs on.  Nice graphics could come mostly from having millions of colors displayable at once instead of the 16 in the original PC Lemmings.

drumnbach

« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2005, 11:22:12 AM »
The PSP's resolution is 480 x 272.

Isn't Cheapo 640x480?

« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2005, 01:23:36 PM »
Quote from: drumnbach  link=1116495432/45#46 date=1118143332
Isn't Cheapo 640x480?

Yes and no.  It uses 640x480, but for in-game graphics like terrains, interactive objects and the lemmings, it actually scales the bitmaps 2x before displaying them, so the effective resolution is only 320x240, as is the game mechanics.  For other graphics such as the skill selection toolbar, no such scaling occurs so it makes full use of the 640x480 resolution.

Quote from: drumnbach  link=1116495432/45#46 date=1118143332
The PSP's resolution is 480 x 272.

Hmm, interesting, so somewhere in between 320x200 and 640x480.  So they probably will just have the game mechanics operate at the true pixel resolution.

So probably the gameplay won't ever be exactly 100% the same as the original, just close enough.  Then again, even with the original Lemmings, there are subtle differences that can be found amongst the different versions on different systems.

AstralLemming

« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2005, 08:21:03 PM »
I learnt an interesting lesson last night. Never say a 2D games' sprite graphics suck until you've seen a some kind of trailer. If you want a copy of the trailer just email me at miss_lemming(at)hotmail.com (No comments on the email address please :P)

« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2005, 08:53:54 PM »
Can't you just post a link to the trailer or the site hosting it?

Benefactor

« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2005, 11:14:38 AM »
Intriguing.  B)

Of course, one factor that makes the trailer better is that they didn't feature the "dirt" style that many people seems to despise, instead featuring the more popular styles with the crystals and the pipes.

One thing I definitely notice is that most of the actions (bashing, building, mining) seems a bit slower than the original version.  I can only hope "Just a Minute (part II)" still works!  (Yes I know it's premature since there's still plenty of time for them to tweak the game mechanics.)

« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2005, 11:27:47 AM »
One thing I definitely have to object though is, the builder animation is terrible.  Towards the end of the clip there is one scene where you can see a builder (actually 2) in relatively close-up action, and if you look closely you notice that it's awful, instead of laying out a brick, it looks more like the lemmings is miming laying out an invisible brick (with somewhat exaggerated motions to boot) and then the brick appears out of thin air by magic.

I'm also not too crazy about the mining animation either.  Whereas the original it actually looks like mining with an ax, in their version it is weird, the lemmings execute this android-like, very robotic body movement and I guess mine with their fists or something.

Benefactor

« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2005, 01:16:35 PM »
team17 are great developers, they will polish the product and it will turn heads. you wait :P

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2005, 05:55:29 PM »
Yay. Lemmings on PSP. Can't wait >:(

Actually, this means I now have to buy both a DS and a PSP, this is because I want to play the new Sonic games on the DS as well as Lemmings on the PSP.
I don't see this Lemmings being multi-format, since it's Sony publishing now and not Psygnosis. My only other hope is that Sonic on the DS will go multi, but I'm not holding my breath.

Besides, I'm short on cash as it is, so I will most likely have to make the choice between Sonic and Lemmings (a very hard choice for someone who has grown-up loving both series from the very beginning)

That trailer has only made me thirsty for more. True, there is Cheapo and its superb ability to make levels, so I'd only be buying a PSP and Lemmings just for the new levels (and maybe the graphics, but as most people know, graphics don't make a game, gameplay does).

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2005, 03:25:14 PM »
I'm trying to decide how much money to save for college vs. how much to spend.  I usually never spend much at all, really.  Now though, I see some things and I say

"...I might like to have that..."

Right now, a PSP or a DS seem to be out of the question.  You can forget about me getting a revolution...if it's as expensive as I think it will be.

Am I the only one who wishes consoles would come out a bit slower?

tumble_weed

« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2005, 02:18:47 AM »
I'm about 46% the way through downloading this trailer on my little 56k modem...

I hope this will actually be released here...and I hope there will be some other decent games on PSP...

The graphics for the new game look really good and i don't think they are butchering the graphics at all...they look just like the old graphics but slightly nicer looking and with more colours!

Andi

« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2005, 08:22:51 PM »
Zoom Function, sweet. But Most of the animations are looking really bad. The Digging and Bashing is just bad. The DOS versions are MUCH better. And what's up with the Floater? Can you see an umbrella there? I can't.

« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2005, 09:17:43 PM »
I actually thought that tiny umbrella was kinda cute.  At least it was one of their better animations......

Dashwarts

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2005, 06:22:29 PM »
It's a beta, so they'll probably fix the animations. This makes me feel stupid buying that DS in december.....The PSP has graphics that are just too good! even in lemmings!!! (I might've been intimidated by ATI MMC's advanced stretching capabilities)

PS: Team 17 developed Worms, a combat game with Lemmings-like physics and graphics (On the first 2 games)