Author Topic: No sound in Lemmings 2, Chronicles, or 3D.  (Read 14113 times)

Megaritz

No sound in Lemmings 2, Chronicles, or 3D.
« on: June 12, 2007, 03:53:32 AM »
I've gotten Lemmings 2 (downloaded from abandonia), The Lemmings Chronicles/ANWOL, and 3D Lemmings (both downloaded from this site) to run with DosBox, but all of them are without sound effects or music. They seem to work, but they're silent. As good as Lemmings music is, I just can't play them like that. With Lemmings 2, I get a brief message when it starts up. Something like Sound Failed to Initiate. I had very little trouble with Lemmings/Xmas/OhNo, however.

Has this happened to anyone else, and does anyone have any ideas on how to solve it?

Re: No sound in Lemmings 2, Chronicles, or 3D.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 06:53:21 AM »
Are you certain that sound is activated in DOSBox?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 12:54:23 PM »
I've never encountered problems w/ sound before, especially with abandonia downloads.  Here're some things you should check:

1) At least for Lemmings 2 and 3D Lemmings (I don't have ANWOL so I wouldn't know, but I suspect it has something similar), there's a settings program you should run, to make sure the sound/music settings are set to what you want.  For Lemmings 2, that program is install.exe.  For 3D Lemmings the program is setup.exe.  DOSBox should support emulation of most sound hardware the games support, so just make sure the game settings aren't set to something like "no sound" or "no music" etc.

2) If the above didn't help, make sure to use latest versions of DOSBox, either 0.70 or 0.65.

3) If that still didn't help, make sure you don't set the DOSBox "CPU Cycles" setting too high.  The default of 3000 should suffice for most games (well, maybe 3D Lemmings could use a higher setting).  For certain sound hardware (eg. Adlib which is used for example in Lemmings and may be selected by you to use in some of the other games), DOSBox emulation has some bugs where you might not get sound if the CPU Cycles is set too high.

Hope this helps.

Megaritz

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 07:59:03 PM »
Thanks a lot. I used the install/setup files, and configured them to soundblaster, and now sound works perfectly in Lemmings 2 and Lemmings Chronicles.

However, there's still a problem with Lemmings 3D. It plays the music during the menu, and at the intro screen for each level, but it stops when starting the level itself. When I played it years ago on an older computer, I'm sure I remember there being music during the levels. The music doesn't seem to play during the levels no matter how high or low the CPU Cycles are.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 08:09:06 PM »
Not sure if it'll help, but go back to the setup program for 3D Lemmings and make sure to set the "CD Music" setting to OFF.  If that still doesn't help, try selecting a different sound hardware in the setup program.

Megaritz

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 09:43:21 PM »
The music works perfectly now. Thanks for all your help.  :thumbsup:

There seems to be just one thing missing. The funny intro of the lemmings getting out of the computer and becoming 3D. I think it's supposed to play before the menu comes up, but it doesn't seem to be there. Does anyone have a link to it or instructions how to get it to play? If not, I can live without it.

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 10:42:02 PM »
Yes, it is meant to play before the menu.

However, it is only available on the original CD (it is also absent from the non-CD versions, I would guess), as are the animations that show at the end of each difficulty rank.

Megaritz

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 01:32:00 AM »
Those are gone too? Oh no...I liked those. I've searched the Internet for them, but have found hardly any videos from 3D Lemmings at all. If someone who has the CD could put them on Youtube or something, that'd be great, but if not...well, my old CD might be under one of those huge piles over there, but...oh well. Anyway, thanks again ccexplore for your help getting the sound working.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 03:02:19 AM »
You know what? The simpliest thing would be that someone here that has the original 3DLemmings CD would do an Image CD. I want the original CD as well. Isn't 3D Lemmings considered as abandonware?

About the intro, you can get it in the demo of 3D Lemmings.
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Megaritz

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 03:28:34 AM »
I've found my original 3D Lemmings CD, but couldn't get it to work in DosBox. I couldn't install it for some reason, and it also said it required Windows to work...but wouldn't work in Windows...

I've found that the CD does have a folder the download version doesn't, called ANIM. I think those are probablythe animations, the movies. They're large files. I've copied my downloaded L3D folder, and am considering copying the ANIM folder into that. I don't know what will happen if I run it like that, but I wouldn't doubt that some difference between the versions that will prevent it from working, or even from running. Could it mess up my computer to try running it with that folder in it?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 05:05:44 AM »
I think copying the ANIM folder over should be harmless, even if it doesn't actually cause the game the use them.

As for the CD not working in DOSBox, one thing you could try is to install it outside of DOSBox (ie. in Windows), and then run the game under DOSBox after it is installed.

It also should be noted that if you want to use the CD-ROM under DOSBox, it is best to mount it like this:

mount d d:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl  (for Win2K/XP) or
mount d d:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -aspi  (for Win98)

(replace the "d" and "d:\" with the drive letter for the CD-ROM you're using)
[These are taken from the DOSBox readme.]

The readme explains that the switches shown above add emulation support for low-level operations with the CD-ROM, which the game might need for things like playing the music tracks on the CD, for example.

Megaritz

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 05:29:07 AM »
I can't believe it actually worked, but copying that folder into the download version actually made it play the intro, with sound and everything. I assume it will play the ones that are after finishing each level category as well. I don't know why it was left out of the download version in the first place. I don't know much about files, but is there a way for me to put it up for download for people who only have the download version, or maybe send it to the person who put the other version up to change it if for some reason they didn't have it, or something? Since it seems to work, I don't see why the download version shouldn't have it.

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 08:16:08 AM »
Could you possibly upload a CD Image file, or if your connection isn't that great, copy the CD and send it to someone who can?

Megaritz

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 07:26:29 PM »
They aren't image files, they're movies and some small "FX" files. The movies are rather large, a total of over 100 MB. If that's okay, where should I upload them, if that's what you meant? I don't know much about files and download websites.

Could their size be the reason they were left out of the download version? Or did the person who runs http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/ not have the files? If for some reason he did not, could I e-mail them to him, to put up for download along with the game itself? I would like to help make the movies available for people who don't have the CD.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 09:35:56 PM »
You misunderstood what's meant by "CD Image".  They're talking about basically a rip of the CD itself (ie. kinda like the raw data in it), not just the files that you can get off the CD.  There should be plenty of tools on the web for creating a CD Image though I'm not familiar with this process myself.

As you can guess, the size is the big reason why the files are usually not made available for download.  Most web hosting services limit the amount of traffic (ie. number of bytes in any given time period, essentially) going to/from your website charge you extra to support huge traffic.  A 100+MB download made available to everyone can easily exceed the limits of most free web hosts and probably even some paid, basic service web hosts.  That's one reason why huge downloads are hard to get.  It probably also doesn't help that 3D Lemmings is nowhere in the same order of popularity as Lemmings, or more recent games that need the storage capacity of a CD.

Mindless is the author of the it.travisbsd.org/lemmings site, so hopefully he can determine whether it's feasible to support a 100 MB download from his site.  It might not be feasible though.