Author Topic: Lemmings or Lemmings 2?  (Read 2637 times)

Offline exit

• View Profile
Lemmings or Lemmings 2?
« on: October 17, 2014, 09:53:27 PM »
Which one do you prefer?

My personal choice is the original Lemmings, because I feel that the graphic sets were better made and the levels were made better.
What'should yours?

Offline Luis

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings or Lemmings 2?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 10:09:30 PM »
The first Lemmings. The only thing that was relevant to me about Lemmings 2 was the Classic pillar levels. Those levels uses the same gameplay and skills as the first one, so I was able to build them in the Lemmings PSP editor.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 10:56:52 PM »
I like both of them for different reasons, but my vote has to go to the original Lemmings.

Part of this is due to Lemmings 2 sometimes being bogged down with excessive complexity - it has some skills with unintuitive, or at least non-obvious, uses (often ones requiring the fan), and I feel that this does hamper it a bit compared to the first game.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 12:02:08 AM »
I was put off Lemmings 2 by the whole concept of throwing in every new skill they could think of. The charm of the first game is the amazing amount of variety that comes from just a few well-chosen skills. (I like the new skills in Lix -- each one fits in well with the existing skills, and you get the real sense that they add something to the game. I haven't played with namida's new skills enough yet to know how I feel about them.)

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 01:11:47 AM »
"Lemmings 2 - The Tribes" is my favorite of all the sagas. It has new challenges, and a better and more sensible learning curve than the first game. The graphics are very colorful and varied, and the scenarios are bigger. I totally dig the new skills: some are crazy and some are tricky, but most of them are useful and allow creative and not obvious solutions, and I think that's a great improvement over the original game.

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 09:26:28 PM »
That's a tough one.  Both games are very good, and I have spent countless hours playing each one.  The original achieves a wide variety of puzzles with just eight skills, and many skills have multiple potential uses.  There are, however, a lot of builder-intensive levels and simple "hero" levels that pull down the puzzle quality a bit.

Lemmings 2 has a lot more skills, some of which are very welcome additions.  New skill types like the Jumper, Platformer, and Laser Blaster can create an even larger variety of puzzle solutions; however, I feel that some of these skills are underutilized, meaning that they have a lot of potential uses that are not seen in any of the levels.  Some of the other new skills are almost completely redundant.  Why add skills like the Club Basher, Scooper, and Stomper when the Basher, Miner, and Digger already exist?  In addition, several skills (e.g. the Diver) are rarely (if ever) used, and several of the interactive objects (e.g. cannons, chains) just seem out of place for a Lemmings game.

In the end, I went with the original by a close margin.  It feels more polished and complete, and the number of challenges we've come up gives it much more replay value than Lemmings 2.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 01:52:42 AM »
That's a tough one.  Both games are very good, and I have spent countless hours playing each one.  The original achieves a wide variety of puzzles with just eight skills, and many skills have multiple potential uses.  There are, however, a lot of builder-intensive levels and simple "hero" levels that pull down the puzzle quality a bit.

Lemmings 2 has a lot more skills, some of which are very welcome additions.  New skill types like the Jumper, Platformer, and Laser Blaster can create an even larger variety of puzzle solutions; however, I feel that some of these skills are underutilized, meaning that they have a lot of potential uses that are not seen in any of the levels.  Some of the other new skills are almost completely redundant.  Why add skills like the Club Basher, Scooper, and Stomper when the Basher, Miner, and Digger already exist?  In addition, several skills (e.g. the Diver) are rarely (if ever) used, and several of the interactive objects (e.g. cannons, chains) just seem out of place for a Lemmings game.

In the end, I went with the original by a close margin.  It feels more polished and complete, and the number of challenges we've come up gives it much more replay value than Lemmings 2.

that pretty much sums it up for me as well. I feel like Lemmings Revolution did a better job of utilizing new features but even that game can be accused of under-utilizing a lot too.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 04:19:02 AM »
I voted L1. Besides the simplicity vs complexity thing, there are some major things that L1 does better than L2 that haven't been mentioned yet:

• L1 has variable lemming counts and save requirements, whereas L2 is always 60/60 (or close to). L1 tends to be more forgiving and less frustrating because of this.
  • L1 allows for more intricate terrain formations, which means you can build a specific formation you need for a puzzle, and makes the decorations more organic. L2 has a clunky tile system that isn't very flexible (this is actually the #1 reason why I gave up building levels for it).

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 05:41:44 PM »
Also, I feel that the new skills make many of the Lemmings 2 levels be "1 lemming goes ahead and does all of the work". Not that those levels aren't good, though.
For example, the jumper skill and other of the sort allow for levels to be not that interesting, as you only need to worry about the one lemming getting to the right spot to save the others.