Author Topic: [SUG] Minor UI tweaks  (Read 293 times)

Offline Tygerboi

• View Profile
[SUG] Minor UI tweaks
« on: April 15, 2024, 12:33:52 AM »
1) I think it would make more sense in Level Select for the "Xmas Lemmings" subgroup to be renamed to "Holiday Lemmings" and for the "New Year Lemmings..." collection to be moved inside this subgroup in addition to the "Holiday Lemmings 1993 & 1994" and "Xmas Lemmings 91 & 92" collections.

2) In the "Covox Lemmings" collection there are only two levels per difficulty, whereas in the SupperLemminiToo "Save the Lemmings" collection there are six levels per difficulty.  Would it be possible please to add these levels into SuperLemmix in a future release?

3) Please could you modify the 'Sleeping Lemming' mouse cursor that appears between levels so that the blue "ZZZ" at the top contains the actual section that is used to select?  Currently it is the sleeping lemming at the bottom of the cursor, which feels a bit odd.

4) Context-sensitive help in the level selector and settings screens - maybe like in some Windows apps where you can click on a "?" in the title bar of the menu window and then click on/hover over an option to get a tooltip description of what particular options mean, e.g. "deactivate clear physics"/"deactivate skill queuing", "Activate postview jingles", etc in the options menus, or "Mass Replay Check", "Cleanse All Levels", etc in the Level selector.

5) A "bye-bye" lemming voice sound effect when exiting the game instead of the current sound effect.

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: [SUG] Minor UI tweaks
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2024, 11:31:12 PM »
1) I think it would make more sense in Level Select for the "Xmas Lemmings" subgroup to be renamed to "Holiday Lemmings" and for the "New Year Lemmings..." collection to be moved inside this subgroup in addition to the "Holiday Lemmings 1993 & 1994" and "Xmas Lemmings 91 & 92" collections.
2) In the "Covox Lemmings" collection there are only two levels per difficulty, whereas ... there are six levels ...  Would it be possible please to add these levels into SuperLemmix in a future release?

I've replied to these suggestions here.

3) Please could you modify the 'Sleeping Lemming' mouse cursor that appears between levels so that the blue "ZZZ" at the top contains the actual section that is used to select?

Yes, I was looking at changing the hotspot for this anyway. The blue Zs probably does make more sense.

4) Context-sensitive help in the level selector and settings screens

Sure, we can add more popup hints - I'll aim to get one for each config menu item. This will also probably be a 2.8 feature.

At some point, I'm also planning to make a video tutorial for navigating the menu screens, so this should also help when I finally get around to doing it! :lemcat:

5) A "bye-bye" lemming voice sound effect when exiting the game instead of the current sound effect.

You're welcome to replace the default sound effect to whatever you like by simply swapping out the "bye.ogg" file in SLX/sounds for something else that you prefer. The player supports most audio files (MP3, Wav, Ogg, etc). Just make sure to also title the replacement sound "bye", and it will cue as normal in place of the default.

I've added these suggestions to the SuperLemmix wish list.

Offline Tygerboi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2024, 02:18:19 AM »
Thank you again for your quick responses; much appreciated.  Those modifications you described would be brilliant! :excited::lemcat:

Offline Tygerboi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2024, 02:26:46 AM »

You're welcome to replace the default sound effect to whatever you like by simply swapping out the "bye.ogg" file in SLX/sounds for something else that you prefer. The player supports most audio files (MP3, Wav, Ogg, etc). Just make sure to also title the replacement sound "bye", and it will cue as normal in place of the default.

So if I had a wav file that had the desired sound effect, I'd just need to rename it to "Bye.wav" and SLX would use it in place of the "bye.ogg" file, if the ogg file wasn't detected?  I don't actually have one atm, but I remember Worms Reunited had a sound effect of a worm saying "bye-bye" just before it died (I think) which could easily pass as a lemming voice, :D so may hunt that down at some point and try that.

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2024, 01:15:05 PM »
So if I had a wav file that had the desired sound effect, I'd just need to rename it to "Bye.wav" and SLX would use it in place of the "bye.ogg" file, if the ogg file wasn't detected?

Correct, but de-capitalise it to be sure (so, "bye" instead of "Bye"), and rename "bye.ogg" to "bye2.ogg" or something in case you ever want to switch back.

Also, I recommend using this OGG Converting tool to convert the .wav to a .ogg (not entirely necessary, but it does save disk space).

It's also worth placing a separate copy of any mods you make in a separate folder (call it something like "SLX mods") and keep that folder somewhere handy. That way, when you update SLX, you have all your mods in one place.

Note: I did consider adding a "mods" folder to SLX for this purpose (similar to the one in Lemmini), this might happen at some point in the future. That way, mods can always be drag-dropped into the new copy of SLX. For now though, they must be performed again manually with each update.

Meanwhile:

:lemming: Postview cursor hotspot updated (Commit 593e81c14)
:lemming: Tooltip hints added to Level Select menu and Config menu (Commits 1e8c3f8f4 and d2a37aeb1)

Offline Tygerboi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2024, 12:32:59 PM »

OK, thanks for the advice.  I am a big fan of well organised filing systems as it makes it so much easier to find things.  It's one of my biggest annoyances about Android - files just seem to get scattered all over my phone by different apps, instead of all photos in one folder (with relevant subfolders of course), all sound files in another folder structure, all apps installed into an apps folder.  Windows 10/11 are much better than previous versions in this regard.

I have downloaded the ogg converter and will try that out once I have some suitable audio files.