Author Topic: CustLemm Level List Game  (Read 256341 times)

tumble_weed

Re: CustLemm Level List Game
« Reply #165 on: July 29, 2005, 01:01:44 PM »
Yeah I agree that's the first thing I noticed when I saw the Hubbart levels...they are really really designed well. A lot are better than the original lemmings levels...

Leviathan

« Reply #166 on: July 29, 2005, 01:22:42 PM »
I really loved to see that thundercloud level :P
That's a very good use of the crystal set:the water,the traps and the color :P

And it seems I can't figure out that Billboard level...I can get the lemmings stuck inside the L and E but then?I'dd need a climber :)

JM

« Reply #167 on: July 29, 2005, 07:45:25 PM »
The thundercloud level is ace.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 29, 2005, 09:33:52 PM »
Heh, I'm like the "anti-Hubbart" then: I strive to add a high puzzle element in my levels, choosing to sacrifice the interesting, beautiful designs that Hubbart's levels contain.

Then again, I am a logical thinker, and a terrible artist.  ;P
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

JM

« Reply #169 on: July 29, 2005, 09:37:12 PM »
Insane Steve none of your levels are terrible at all. I think they are pretty good. It is mostly my levels that are terrible but if I have problems with a level my friend GM would help me sort it out.

Then again I just love your levels I can't wait until you resume work on Pack 10.

« Reply #170 on: July 29, 2005, 11:06:10 PM »
Quote from: Insane Steve  link=1114567084/165#168 date=1122672832
Heh, I'm like the "anti-Hubbart" then: I strive to add a high puzzle element in my levels, choosing to sacrifice the interesting, beautiful designs that Hubbart's levels contain.

I don't think your level are ugly or anything.  They might not be as spectacular as Hubbart's in the visuals, but they certainly don't look like a highly contrived pile of terrain thrown together just to get a puzzle/trick to work either.  I'd say your levels are pretty normal in terms of visuals.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 30, 2005, 02:57:01 AM »
I think your levels are variable; some of them I might call ugly, but then there are others (the one with one of each skill and two exits, I can't remember the name) that are very attractive to look at; and of course many that fall in between.

As for me, when I started making Cheapo levels I didn't have much idea about how to make them attractive, but now that I've got my new styles, I'm taking the opportunity to remake many of my old levels, and I'm taking much greater care over the visuals of my new ones. Obviously I can't judge how successful this will be, but I note that guest has already commented on the visual appeal of "Zorn's Lemming", the one new level I've shown him. :D

tumble_weed

« Reply #172 on: July 30, 2005, 06:14:59 AM »
well my levels must be great (imitation in the greatest form of flattery)...

uh actually most of my levels, after playing over them again recently, I've realised most of them are awful...I'll probably release a "best of" pack with all the slightly less crap levels.

JM

« Reply #173 on: July 30, 2005, 10:51:08 AM »
Tumble Weed you have a lot of great levels.

I love the level No Use for a Terrain and I love A Rip-Off of a level.
Hide and Seek is a pretty challenging level. I also love We all Fall Up and Someone spiked the Lemmings.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 31, 2005, 04:37:12 PM »
Well, I like Insane Steve's levels; for me they're the best of all.
I don't really care about design, I like the straight terrain and love the neat puzzles and the trickiness in the levels.
Since they are usually small they are quite nice to play, having a first look at them most of them look interesting at once, and usually they are also interesting to play.
Of course there are also some not so good levels, but those appear not so often at all.

Since I don't care about design so much, Hubbart's levels should be not really special to me, but some of the are quite impressing though.

(Oops...seems that it's getting a little off topic...)

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 31, 2005, 04:47:31 PM »
You realize that level 4 was skipped?  Either that or the level number for the last one was just wrong.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 31, 2005, 05:10:02 PM »
"Remains of the roman empire" is Level 4, TW just put level 3 by mistake.

JM

« Reply #177 on: July 31, 2005, 11:24:09 PM »
Thanks for that information Shvegait. Anyway are you reviewing the next level of Hubbart4.dat ?

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 31, 2005, 11:29:39 PM »
I'll review it in a little bit, it's my favorite from the pack :)

JM

« Reply #179 on: July 31, 2005, 11:33:10 PM »
My favourite level from the pack is The Beacon.