Author Topic: CustLemm Level List Game  (Read 256311 times)

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
Re: CustLemm Level List Game
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2005, 08:53:16 PM »
I thought we weren't going to review two packs by the same author in a row. It doesn't really matter to me though.

Why don't you review 5, Timballisto? I can't, I reviewed 4...

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2005, 09:13:42 PM »
I will as soon as I play the level.  I need to do some other things first, but I'll get to it eventually.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2005, 08:42:47 PM »
Added screenshots for Conway04-13, ISteve04-09, Hubbart 3 and 4, and Steaver's pack at http://www.jx3.net/tdg/shve/levelpics/.

Still need someone to review 5. Cmon, it's easy!

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2005, 08:59:01 PM »
I don't have CustLemm, but I have access to Insane Steve's website, so here ya go!

Level 5: BLEEEEEGGGGGGH!

Save 97% of 70
Release rate 20
1 minute

10 climbers, 5 bombers, 5 blockers, 2 of everything else

Good: you only get one minute, so you won't waste hours on different possibilities
Bad: really awful title, and.... let's face it.... big cheapie.

Really bad: and wasn't it Insane Steve who didn't manage to work out Manclimber United?

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2005, 09:13:26 PM »

ISteve01 - Level 6: Catch-22

60 Lems
70% to save
RR: 1
Time: 7 minutes
Skills: 5 climbers, 10 blockers, 50 builders, 10 diggers

Good: A cool concept for a level. Nice symmetrical design, and looks intimidating at first.

Bad: Since only 25% of the lemmings come out of the center trapdoor, you don't need to worry about those lemmings at all. You can even make use of a couple of the blockers and still make the very low 70% save percentage.*

I took a glance at ISteve01.txt, and at the time Insane Steve wrote that, he put a hint in that said you have to figure out a way to save the middle, so I'm guessing he didn't realize that only 25% and not 33% come out of the center (at least back when he made the level).

*In Cheapo, this level doesn't have this problem (save 75/90, and 30 come from the center window). I haven't beaten it there yet, though, so I can't comment beyond that.

Conway

« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2005, 11:06:02 PM »

ISteve01 - Level 7: >>>>wAy Up YoNdEr<<<<
 Save: 68/80
 Time: 8 minutes
 RR: 99
 Skills:
   Bombers: 20
   Blockers: 20
   Builders: 50
   Bashers: 2
   Miners: 2
   Diggers: 20

Good: A decorative title, and a nice, open-plan level with a bit of leeway and plenty of skills. Out of interest, has anyone ever managed to save 100%? I've just spent the last 30 minutes trying. I'm sure it's possible, just very tricky!

Bad: The high release rate can get slightly annoying.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2005, 01:07:04 AM »
I still don't realise that Catch-22 can be done without bothering the center group in LemEdit. I need to fix this somehow (Make it 76% to save?). Thanks for the heads-up.

I've formulated a lot of interesting solutions to "Rhapsody in Blue" -- but a lot of them either run out of time or are missing one skill or so. I'll get it eventually.

I did eventually figure out "Manclimber United" -- but it took a lot longer than it should because I tend to "eye" my solutions -- that is, I visualizae my plan of attack before I attack. I bet that if I saw my own 1.5 without having known the trick, I'd be a bit unnerved when I accidently stumbled across the answer. Then again, I was a bit inexperienced when I made ISteve01.dat.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2005, 04:07:05 PM »

ISteve01 - Level 8: Watch Ye Step!

80 Lems
92% to save
RR: 85
Time: 6 minutes
Skills: 1 of each

Good: One-of-each-skill levels are always fun. This one has quite a clever solution.

Bad: It can take a few tries to implement even when you know what to do. By working backwards it's pretty easy to figure out. The part where you need the floater seems unnecessary (except to require all skills).

Note: Just because I put more bad things than good doesn't mean I didn't thoroughly enjoy the level :) It's just easier to come up with things to nitpick about... :P

« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2005, 07:36:25 PM »
Quote from: Shvegait  link=1114567084/60#67 date=1115914025
Bad: It can take a few tries to implement even when you know what to do.

The solution Insane Steve mentioned might save the most lemmings, but since we only need 92% (up to 6 lost), I believe there's a slightly easier solution:

1) After 2nd lemming emerges, raise RR to 99

2) After 5th lemming emerges, lower RR back  to 85 (not strictly necessary)

3) 1st lemming bombs as close to the first trap as possible, so that the bombed hole goes under the first trap allowing everyone to pass that trap.  2nd lemming will die.

4) Make 7th lemming blocker after the bombed hole.

5) Because of the RR adjustment, as lemmings 3-6 goes thru the remaining 3 traps, 3 will die but the last one will remain.

6) Have him do the usual mining upwards.  However, you no longer need to be precise, because you will keep mining until you are about 6-8 pixels below ground level, then you will bash left to free the blocker.

7) With luck, the basher might even stop bashing at the bombed hole, but even if you lost him, you've just saved enough for 92%.

The hardest part of this solution is to time the bomber, but at least it's less frustrating then incorrectly positioning the miner towards the end as ISteve's solution requires.

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2005, 07:55:29 PM »
I think I've revised Watch Ye Step! to require 96% (77/80) but never bothered to re-upload the pack to Garjen for whatever reason. The Cheapo version of the level only allows you to lose 3 lemmings.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2005, 09:23:28 AM »
Indeed, and my imitation only allows you to lose two, but then it exploits a Cheapo glitch, namely the fact that if you bash in the pixel before a trap you'll go right through it (similar to a trick Insane Steve uses on another level with bashing through a blocker). Unfortunately I no longer have the level..... I semi-accidentally deleted more than half of my Cheapo levels, sets and styles last night....... fortunately mostly all other people's levels, so it will be possible for me to re-obtain them.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2005, 05:54:50 PM »
Since tumble_weed wanted to continue on with this, and Ahribar said we should get rid of the rule of no reviewing two levels in a row, here we go. I still don't think people should review multiple levels in a row unless there is a bit of a time period between the reviews.

ISteve01 - Level 9: Having fun yet? Good.

80 Lems
80% to save
RR: 50
Time: 5 minutes
Skills: 10 climb, 1 float, 20 bomb, 10 block, 20 build, 2 bash

Good: An interesting concept that you have to get to the exit by bombers.

Bad: I saved 95% on my first try of the level. There is a huge surplus of tools that makes it feel very easy for its position in the pack.

Edit: Insane Steve, I just now looked at your solution in your help file, and you make it sound like it is all about timing. Yet you forget that you give 10 blockers, so no timing is necessary, at all! I can only assume the blockers were accidentally added (I mean, giving 10 instead of 1, or some such thing).

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2005, 06:02:52 PM »
See, originally, the level relied on the lemmings not being able to direct drop into the exit. So... ya. I couldn't fix it so it looked even remotely hard.

See, that's the difference between a first pack and a 9th pack, methinks.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2005, 06:16:12 PM »
Quote from: Insane Steve  link=1114567084/60#72 date=1119549772
See, originally, the level relied on the lemmings not being able to direct drop into the exit. So... ya. I couldn't fix it so it looked even remotely hard.

Direct drop???  :???:  I can't play the level now, but on first glance it would look like the simplest solution would be to have one lemming float down, then build bridges to catch the fall, then set blockers and blow up a hole in the bridge to open up the way to the exit.

So, which part of this will be thwarted?

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2005, 06:28:04 PM »
There is no direct drop. I used 4 blockers and 4 bombers, though, with the floater and about 7 or 8 builders. I only used 1 basher.. I could've saved 96% if I had used one more basher and 1 less blocker/bomber.

The easy part is that you give 10 blockers!

Maybe I misunderstood what you meant, though.