Author Topic: CustLemm Level List Game  (Read 256310 times)

Jazzem

Re: CustLemm Level List Game
« Reply #1125 on: November 05, 2005, 03:20:09 PM »
Argh!

Level 8 is driving me insane! Whatever solution I build, there's always one problem that stops it from working!

Do you enjoy tormenting us Geoo89? :P

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: November 05, 2005, 03:57:27 PM »
Quote from: Jazzem link=1114567084/1110#1123 date=1131202110
Afraid not :(. I know what you have to do roughly, it's just they way you have to do it so all necessary lemmings are saved that I can't put my finger on. I'll keep trying though.

EDIT: Bah, I managed to save 86%. Getting there...
That's rather intriguing.  That level uses a specific glitch/trick, and it's nearly impossible to screw up once you have the intended solution.

So it actually sounds like you're going about it a little differently.  Maybe you should PM geoo89 what you're trying to do (even though it looks like it's not working), just in case.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: November 05, 2005, 03:58:58 PM »
Quote from: Jazzem link=1114567084/1125#1125 date=1131204009
Argh!

Level 8 is driving me insane! Whatever solution I build, there's always one problem that stops it from working!

Do you enjoy tormenting us Geoo89? :P
Well, I'm used to this especially playing Insane Steve's Hopeless levels.
I think you're on the wrong track with level 8: It is one of the levels using almost no precision or precise timing.

Also for level 10, conventional way to solve it shouldn't work. Remember, it's level 10. :P

Jazzem

« Reply #1128 on: November 05, 2005, 04:31:02 PM »
It uses a glitch? So my WIP method was either complete trollop or a potential backroute!

Here's what I've been trying...

Make one of the first lemmings to come out a climber, and then a floater. When he gets to the ground, make sure he builds just under the squasher trap. Meanwhile, make two blockers surronding the lemmings on the second platform they walk on, the closer together the better. Then, when the lone lemming gets to the edge of the wall he is walking on  (After turning around because of building directly under the wal), start building a bridge to the left. When it's big enough, bomb the blocker on the right and the lemmings will walk down the path to the left (Although your positioning of the blockers may change this). However, the main problem is getting the builder lemming to turn around, because he will either sink in the liquid or just go to the left side of the level

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: November 05, 2005, 08:00:50 PM »
I think it shouldn't be possible to solve it that way because (1) you cannot save the climber (2) cannot free both blockers without having at least one of them walking to the left. I'm quite sure that both reasons are correct.

Also, I'd call the glitch/trick for the level rather a trick; the effect is actually expectable.

Conway

« Reply #1130 on: November 05, 2005, 08:23:58 PM »
I was trying something similar to Jazzem, and if the blockers are close enough that all lemmings are grouped into one, none will walk to the left when you set them free. Still, there's the bother of having to save the climber, which evidently can't be done.

I was also trying the same but having the climber build so he hits his head on the corner below the right-hand blocker, hoping he would leave a tiny ledge for the group to use. Unfortunately this wouldn't work either.  :'(

JM

« Reply #1131 on: November 05, 2005, 09:10:37 PM »
There must be a way to solve Levels 8-10. I keep losing. I give up on this levelpak. I'm thinking about what levelpak should be reviewed after this one.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: November 05, 2005, 09:31:14 PM »
[size=12]Sounds like we might need to temporarily repeal the rule about not allowing the same person to review twice or 3 times in a row...... &#A0;;)

I'm ready to get the reviews out of the way as soon as someone gives the go-ahead, if that's what people would like......[/size]

JM

« Reply #1133 on: November 05, 2005, 09:39:05 PM »
Which levels have you passed ccexplore?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: November 05, 2005, 09:44:14 PM »
[size=12]I passed all except level 7, which I haven't completed mostly because I lost interest.[/size]

Jazzem

« Reply #1135 on: November 05, 2005, 10:48:27 PM »
10 is perticularly hard, just how do you stop so many dying?

JM

« Reply #1136 on: November 05, 2005, 10:56:26 PM »
Well done ccexplore  :)
EDIT: Passed Level 8  ;D What a trick!

Geoopk0 - Level 8: Finding a place to stay

Number of Lemmings: 20
Save: 18/20
Time : 2 minutes
Release Rate: 99
Skills: 1 climber,1 floater,1 bomber,2 blockers,3 builders

Good: Some nice scenery and a very snappy trick never seen before

Bad: If you don't know the trick then the level seems impassable

Jazzem

« Reply #1137 on: November 05, 2005, 11:27:57 PM »
Wahey! Congrats for passing.

Now who's doing level 9?

JM

« Reply #1138 on: November 05, 2005, 11:33:25 PM »
Somebody said you can't review it unless you've passed it in Custlemm2 :P

Even if you're allowed to review it from passing it Custlemm I can't review it because I'm not allowed to review 2 or more levels in a row.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: November 06, 2005, 12:55:36 AM »
Quote from: JM link=1114567084/1125#1136 date=1131231386
EDIT: Passed Level 8 &#A0;;D What a trick!
[size=12]Good job! : thumbs-up :

Geoopk0 - Level 9: Mission at max-fall 60

Number of Lemmings: 1
Save: 1/1
Time : 1 minute
Release Rate: 1
Skills: 1 of each

Good: First CustLem(2) level using the SuperLemmings feature. &#A0;Really heightens the tension when you have both a short time limit and a clock that runs down twice (or more?) the normal speed.

Maybe it's a bad for some, but for a while, the most straightforward solution will seem to get you the closest to the exit and yet fail; it takes a bit of perseverence to get past that impasse.

Bad: The time limit is very very tight, so even after you know all the tricks needed for the solution you still need some precision to get a successful execution, which together with the SuperLemmings can make things somewhat more annoying than necessaary.

It indirectly requires some knowledge regarding how the miner cannot survive a fall that non-miners normally survive with no problem. &#A0;Not knowing this can conceivably lead some people into a dead-end.

Finally, because initially people didn't realize CustLem2 is intended, many people are less inclined to try again after finishing it on CustLemm.
[/size]