Author Topic: CustLemm Level List Game  (Read 256349 times)

JM

Re: CustLemm Level List Game
« Reply #885 on: October 12, 2005, 09:13:17 PM »
I used the basher when I passed the level.  What pack are we reviewing after this levelpak?

Conway

« Reply #886 on: October 12, 2005, 11:02:34 PM »
I haven't passed it yet. It would be easier with more builders.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: October 12, 2005, 11:14:04 PM »
You're essenitally given the bare minimum of builders for the level.

3 for the upper right, 7 for both the bottom two parts. The top left must be done without builders.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #888 on: October 12, 2005, 11:39:27 PM »
Can someone give me what the skills, initial RR, and #save/#out is for level 9?  (I'm still at work.)

I'm just really curious because only after sneaking a peek at Shvegait's screenshot did I realize level 9 was that lovely multitasking level incorporating 4 levels from original Lemmings.  I always thought the level would be just about multitasking 4 known levels, I didn't realize there's more to it, as is apparently the case since no one seemed to have solved it yet?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #889 on: October 12, 2005, 11:45:40 PM »
After some sketching and so forth, I think I have a solution that should work within the number of skills given and have no more died than the amount you need to save.  Of course, it can be very hard to keep track of skills on paper, so it's quite possible I lost track of something somewhere which would render a complication to my solution.  I'm also somewhat worried about how long it'd take to do the upper-right, although I imagine it can't be worse than the lower-left or lower-right which should be the bottleneck.  Anyway, there's nothing else I can do now but wait and try it out tonight and see (and probably get disappointed that what I have in mind fails ;)).  No glitches necessary as far as I can tell.

I do find myself having (just) enough builders at this point.  You will of course not succeed if you stick purely to the exact way you did each original Lemmings level, but that is obviously unnecessary here.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: October 12, 2005, 11:49:47 PM »
Ok.

Save 70/80
RR 5
3 minutes

6 climbers, 0 floaters, 3 bombers, 10 blockers, 17 builders, 2 bashers, 5 miners, 1 digger.

The solutions to the top two levels are a bit unorthodox. I have passed it, though, so it IS possible, albeit somewhat annoying to execute.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

« Reply #891 on: October 13, 2005, 04:56:44 AM »
I haven't had time to try level 9 because I just spent half an hour trying to get 39/40 on level 7, but I got it. :)

« Reply #892 on: October 13, 2005, 06:34:34 AM »
I looked at level 9. I figured out how to do it... but it's just too much mult-itasking.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #893 on: October 13, 2005, 06:52:25 AM »
Yeah, I'm close to having it solved.  The difficulty is pretty much purely in the multitasking.  I'm guessing I would end up writing the review for this level, unless my solution-in-the-executing runs out of time (we'll see, and even if it does, it'll just be a matter of doing some stuff sooner).

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #894 on: October 13, 2005, 07:21:36 AM »

Isteve01 level 9 - Honey, I shrunk the Levels...

Save: 70/80
 Time: 3 minutes
 RR: 5
 Skills:
   Climbers: 6
   Bombers: 3
   Blockers: 10
   Builders: 17
   Bashers: 2
   Miners: 5
   Diggers: 1

Good: Elegant and effective level design, putting a new twist on not 1, but 4 of the original Lemmings levels.  Cute title.  Fair choice of skill distribution, release rate, number to save and time limit (although I would've cut down 1 or 2 blockers at a minimum, given the forgiving release rate).

Bad: The difficulty of the level is pretty much purely in the execution, namely managing the multitasking, which really just boils down to memorizing timing and therefore, practice and patience (as you retry and retry).  Other than that, planning out the solution itself takes a little work but is overall fairly straightforward and doesn't take too much thought, especially since much of the original levels' solution concepts still apply.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #895 on: October 13, 2005, 07:27:42 AM »
Quote from: guest  link=1114567084/885#892 date=1129185274
I looked at level 9. I figured out how to do it... but it's just too much mult-itasking.

The multi-tasking is somewhat annoying but not as bad as it could be.  Especially since you have more than sufficient blockers and can lose quite a few to pass the level.  Figuring out the maximum you can save is of course another matter.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #896 on: October 13, 2005, 08:30:28 AM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)  link=1114567084/885#894 date=1129188096
(although I would've cut down 1 or 2 blockers at a minimum, given the forgiving release rate)

In fact, I think I'd say that given the generous (but reasonable for multitasking I guess) RR, the level would be more satisfying if there were, for example, only half as many blockers, half as many climbers, and just 2 minutes.

JM (at college)

« Reply #897 on: October 13, 2005, 10:14:30 AM »
I will hoepfully pass Level 9. It's a very lovely level that is split into 4 levels from the original lemmings. I can pass the 10th level of the pack. I can't wait till Insane Steve releases his 10th levelpak. I found Level 9 annoying but it's a pretty good level. If anyone has any competition levels I would love them sent to me  :)

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #898 on: October 13, 2005, 03:16:51 PM »
ccexplore, for your review, it should be pack ISteve09, but I'm sure you know that and it should be obvious based on context. Plus you can't edit it.. oh well :P

ISteve09 - Level 10: Not My Hardest 10th Level

20 Lems
90% to save  
RR: 95
Time: 2 minutes
Skills: 1 of each

Good: Fun little 1-of-each level that uses one trick that's sort of cool.

Bad: It's not your hardest 10th level! The left and right sides are very straightforward.

JM

« Reply #899 on: October 13, 2005, 04:18:10 PM »
It's not the hardest level in the pack. The easiest level in the pack is probably Level 6 "NO MAS!". I like the design of Level 10. So what pack is to be reviewed next? Geeo89's levelpak,One of Juanjo's packs,Anatol's pack,Another of Garjen's packs,another of Tumble Weed's packs,Another of Hubbart's packs or maybe another of Shvegait's packs?