Author Topic: CustLemm Level List Game  (Read 256322 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: CustLemm Level List Game
« Reply #660 on: September 24, 2005, 12:51:37 AM »
Quote from: Shvegait  link=1114567084/645#646 date=1127410806
Not yet. I'm wondering if you need to use the 2 miners stopping each other trick though.

Has that trick been actually verified to work in DOS CustLemm and/or Lemmings/ONML?

I'm asking because it seems to me that, due to the miner glitch involving how his vertical position is already lowered by 1 pixel while swinging the ax, the most logical setup for this trick with the 2 miners facing each other at the same height separated in between by 4 or 5 pixels, will not actually work.  (There might be other setups, involving the miners meeting with each on a rather different height, that could work but I'd first need to examine the exact shape of the miner's terrain-removal mask more closely.)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #661 on: September 24, 2005, 12:59:44 AM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)  link=1114567084/660#660 date=1127523097
(There might be other setups, involving the miners meeting with each on a rather different height, that could work but I'd first need to examine the exact shape of the miner's terrain-removal mask more closely.)

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I'm now convinced that no setup with the 2 miners at different heights can possibly work.  Because if they can't affect each other enough when meeting at equal height, when they are at unequal height, the higher one will be at an even worse position to have any effect on the lower one.

So I'm currently of the opinion that trying to get 2 miners to stop each other will not work on PC versions of Lemmings, ONML etc.   (But do try to prove me wrong though--"prove" meaning try it out now, not "I remember this working some time ago".  Memories can be faulty.)  Note that you can still have a case where miner A's actions stops miner B, and then miner A stops mining because of the terrain itself, rather than actually as a result of miner B's action.  That's of course a different thing altogether.

tumble_weed

« Reply #662 on: September 24, 2005, 05:15:29 AM »
well i remember you said no "I remember this working some time ago"...but a couple of years ago i think i was trying out the 2 miners trick for one of my levels and i tried for ages to get it to work, but I'm about 99% sure that it is impossible, as well as this I'm sure bashers and diggers can't cancel eachother out. The only thing i know that works is 2 bashers cancelling eachother out, but i guess thats fairly obvious.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #663 on: September 24, 2005, 06:07:20 AM »
Hmm. Perhaps I was thinking of Cheapo then, where this is possible.

Leviathan

« Reply #664 on: September 24, 2005, 08:22:15 AM »
So has anyone solved level 5 yet?
I was breaking my mind on if for a full 2 hours yesterday and came up with about 20 different miner positions but nothing worked...I thought I found out the solution,yet then another problem popped up :(

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #665 on: September 24, 2005, 08:46:59 AM »
Quote from: tumble_weed  link=1114567084/660#662 date=1127538929
as well as this I'm sure bashers and diggers can't cancel eachother out.

Well, I really wouldn't expect that to work even in Cheapo (I haven't really tried though).

As far as DOS Lemmings/CustLemm/etc. is concerned, I think the only 2 that work are basher-basher and basher-miner.  miner-miner would have probably worked as in Cheapo, if not for the miner glitch.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #666 on: September 24, 2005, 08:48:17 AM »
Quote from: Leviathan  link=1114567084/660#664 date=1127550135
So has anyone solved level 5 yet?
I was breaking my mind on if for a full 2 hours yesterday and came up with about 20 different miner positions but nothing worked...I thought I found out the solution,yet then another problem popped up :(

I'll take a look soon.

Jazzem

« Reply #667 on: September 24, 2005, 09:04:28 AM »
I think my route is going in the right direction, it's just the last few bits that need fiddling with.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: September 24, 2005, 09:17:22 AM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)  link=1114567084/660#665 date=1127551619
Well, I really wouldn't expect that to work even in Cheapo (I haven't really tried though).
It works. Insane Steve uses this in his level (Set 4 Hopeless) Plan B.
In general, the miners in Cheapo work quite strange.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #669 on: September 24, 2005, 09:53:43 AM »
Typo?  I was talking about basher and digger canceling each other out, which has nothing to do with miners.

I don't think the miners in Cheapo are any stranger than CustLemm's/Lemmings.  If anything, the Lemmings ones are probably more strange.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #670 on: September 24, 2005, 10:07:04 AM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)  link=1114567084/660#666 date=1127551697
I'll take a look soon.

Well, after a little thought I finally got it, or rather I would've gotten it if my mining wasn't off. X_X I still think it'd be best to let someone else actually solve it for real, that and I'm a little lazy to write the review. ;P You don't have to do anything extraordinary to solve this level.  It might help though if you look at the terrain carefully.  Remember Genesis's "Electric circuit", how a piece of terrain that merely looks solid can in fact have places where you can fall thru while walking (ie. which doesn't work in Cheapo).

A little bit of precision seems to be required in one or two places.  It only necessary just because of how the terrain is laid out and has no real role in the solution, so if I were to review the level that would be a bad.

Overall an interesting level.

« Reply #671 on: September 24, 2005, 10:42:37 AM »

Timb04 - Level 5: The old abandoned mine shafts

Number of Lemmings: 80
To be saved: 80
RR: 99
Time: 6 minutes
Skills: 1 climber,5 miners

Good: Has good scenery,hmm uses good amount of tools

Bad: Annoying level after failing a few times

Jazzem

« Reply #672 on: September 24, 2005, 11:47:12 AM »
I've done level 6 :D

Timb04 - Level 6: Who thought up THIS stupid wall?

Number of Lemmings: 30
To be saved: 30
RR: 01
Time: 3 minutes
Skills: 1 climber, 8 floaters, 2 builders, 1 basher, 4 miners

Good: A very challenging and original puzzle. The strict time limit and the huge amount of of multi-tasking means it is a very demanding level that's satisfying to solve.

Bad: The time limit does make it a little frustrating considering the amount of effort it requires, and the name could be a bit better.

Strange, after that level nocdlem asks me to insert a disk :???:

EDIT: Ack! It requires an extended graphic set. Could someone give me the link for it?

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #673 on: September 24, 2005, 01:02:53 PM »
It should come with the pack...

Oh, btw nice avatar.

You can find the pack at this weird little place that is my site

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #674 on: September 24, 2005, 02:47:28 PM »
Hmm, for Level 6, I had a miner left over. Is that intentional, or a backroute?

Timb04 - Level 7: The Pipes

80 Lems  
92% to save  
RR: 0
Time: 5 minutes
Skills: 3 climb, 3 bomb, 2 block, 7 build, 1 bash, 1 mine, 2 dig

Good: The first new special graphics level made with ccexplore's myvgaspec. And it looks great! It fits in with the other Lemmings sets. It's possible to save 100% :)

Bad: Continuing the tradition that special graphics levels must be extremely straightforward with no challenge at all...