Author Topic: CustLemm Level List Game  (Read 256323 times)

JM

Re: CustLemm Level List Game
« Reply #555 on: September 14, 2005, 05:13:10 PM »

Twbestof - Level 1: Sculpture Maze

Number of Lemmings: 1
To be saved: 1
RR: 1
Time: 1 minute
Skills: 1 of each

Good: Good scenery with good solution

Bad: Solution is fairly obvious

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #556 on: September 14, 2005, 07:33:10 PM »
...obvious?  Are you quite sure about that???  I just looked at the level for about 10 minutes and I haven't realized it yet.

JM

« Reply #557 on: September 14, 2005, 08:05:30 PM »
You will probably find out the solution after a few tries. If you can't find it I'll PM you the solution.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #558 on: September 14, 2005, 08:09:48 PM »
Maybe take a break and look at it again later and you'll solve it.

TWbestof - Level 2: The Lemming Factory

10 Lems  
100% to save  
RR: 99
Skills: 5 climbers, 5 floaters, 4 bashers, 1 digger

Good: You really have to watch out for that time limit.

Bad: Despite the time limit, it's still rather straightforward.

JM

« Reply #559 on: September 14, 2005, 08:37:30 PM »
Level 2 isn't a bad level but Sculpture Maze is one of my favourite levels which was why I reviewed it. I have to say Level 2 has some good scenery there.

« Reply #560 on: September 15, 2005, 12:59:48 AM »

TWbestof - Level 3: Miner Threat

40 Lems  
100% to save  
RR: 50
Time: 3 minutes
Skills: 10 climbers, 10 builders, 2 miners

Good: Good title, nice-looking level. PERFECT time limit.

Bad: It's fairly obvious what you have to do. The precision is annoying. (And it's near the end of the level, so if you mess up, you have to start over.)

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #561 on: September 15, 2005, 02:39:57 PM »

TWbestof - Level 4: Stairway

80 Lems  
100% to save  
RR: 75
Skills: 2 blockers, 2 builders, 4 bashers, 4 diggers

Good: Fun, short level. Four groups to manage (well, three) without much to work with in terms of terrain.

Bad: Plenty of extra tools, unless I found a backroute...

tumble_weed

« Reply #562 on: September 15, 2005, 05:03:37 PM »
um...could you please PM me and tell me what this backroute is!

I think I've actually just seen what it is...but tell me anyway

JM

« Reply #563 on: September 15, 2005, 05:51:50 PM »

Twbestof - Level 5:Everyone but the bomber

Number of Lemmings: 8
To be saved: 7
RR: 50
Skills: All with 1 except the bomber

Good: Nice challenging level with good solution and multiple entrances

Bad: Fairly easy level and the solution is fairly obvious

Conway

« Reply #564 on: September 15, 2005, 08:18:28 PM »
I don't understand you, JM. You say the level is challenging, then you say it's obvious! I wish you'd explain your reviews so they don't all sound the same.

Level 4 is probably my favourite in the pack. But I also had a few skills left over. Here's my solution:

Groups 2 and 3 builds to the levels above, lem1 from group 1 blocks as soon as he lands. One or both builders should turn back, and make one of them dig on the corner to let group 1 up. Make the digger bash when he's half-way down. RR: 99. Make the last lemming from group 1 dig and bash to release the blocker.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #565 on: September 15, 2005, 08:54:56 PM »
Yep, that was my exact solution as well, Conway.

And JM, I have to say that I agree with Conway about your review(s). You contradict yourself so you in essence say absolutely nothing about the level. (How can the level be easy and challenging? How can the solution be "good" and obvious...? Well, I suppose it can, but you don't really explain it.) Try to focus on the unique aspects of the level, maybe how the title correlates to the level, the overall theme of the level, the design of the terrain, the tricks involved (without giving much away), something! It always pays to be more specific than really general, especially when we're reviewing hundreds of levels... Reading the same thing said about every other level gets boring, especially when the levels are indeed very different!

JM

« Reply #566 on: September 15, 2005, 08:58:52 PM »
The level can be hard to complete at first but then when you play it a lot of times the solution can be obvious. Level 6 is mostly challenging. The scenery of the level looks good. If somebody has passed Level 6 or the levels further on can they kindly PM the solution to each level?

tumble_weed

« Reply #567 on: September 16, 2005, 03:51:08 AM »
ugh I really need to revise these levels...I guess this is the best way, having lots of people point out things in these levels which i didn't notice. The thing with these levels is that I've 'known' what the solutions are for each of these levels and i haven't paid enough attention to backroutes. Also it didn't really help that I first created these levels years ago, and usually can't remember my initial idea.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #568 on: September 16, 2005, 08:25:53 AM »
Quote from: JM  link=1114567084/555#566 date=1126817932
The level can be hard to complete at first but then when you play it a lot of times the solution can be obvious.

So sounds like the word you are really looking for is "intimidating" rather than "challenging".

I do have to agree that you need to make your reviews more specific.  For each sentence of review you write, you should ask some sort of a what, how, or why question about the sentence.  If you can answer it, you should add a sentence or two relating to the answer.  For example, if the solution is easy or hard to figure out, ask yourself "how easy/hard?" and consider the answer.  Does it only take 2-3 tries?  a dozen?  a few days?  By including that information in the answer, you can make the review much more informative than the usual vague one-syllable adjectives, while expending only a few extra words.

JM

« Reply #569 on: September 16, 2005, 01:25:33 PM »

Twbestof - Level 6: Stalker!

Number of Lemmings: 2
To be saved: 2
Release Rate: 99
Skills: All with 2 except climber

Good: Level title suits level, scenery is good, level is challenging

Bad: Why do we need bombers when we have to save 100%?