Author Topic: CustLemm Level List Game  (Read 256308 times)

JM

Re: CustLemm Level List Game
« Reply #480 on: September 09, 2005, 07:54:33 PM »
I agree the scenery is good but the only thing is that the Lemmings fall through the water. I would say this was one of my favourite levels of the pack.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 09, 2005, 07:57:56 PM »
Well, it was the third level I made, and all of my solutions left you with only a few seconds left, but I can see of course that much more is possible. Still, if you're not thinking, the time will run out before you know it!

@JM: The reason for this is that if the water level were higher, it would become a precision thing with where to stop digging and where to start building. Since this was annoying, I lowered the water level, even though it is technically inactive now.

JM

« Reply #482 on: September 09, 2005, 08:08:01 PM »
Okay dude. Thanks. I've probably seen that in other levels. I might look at Level 8 in a bit.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #483 on: September 09, 2005, 08:14:30 PM »
Quote from: Shvegait  link=1114567084/465#477 date=1126293272
There is one backroute that involves bypassing the shredders by actually going between them, but I haven't found a clean way to fix this solution in CustLemm. In the Cheapo version, I just put two shredders on top of each other (one upside-down), and it eliminates this problem. However, the region of death in the Lemmings shredders is around the middle, so an upside-down one doesn't help much. And I kind of don't want the level looking too sloppy :P

You can create "invisible" interactive objects by setting the "draw on terrain only" flag to true and make sure to place the object entirely on empty space.

Then maybe you can stack a few of these invisible shredders along with the visible ones (make sure the invisible ones have z-order lower than the visible ones), to completely fill up gaps in the region of death without affecting the appearance.

This of course might not be feasible if there's too much surrounding terrain so that there's no completely empty space for you to place the "invisible" shredders in.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 09, 2005, 08:19:19 PM »
Ah, that's a nifty idea. :) I kind of want to keep the surrounding terrain for this level how it is, though, but I'll definitely keep that in mind for any future levels that might be helped by it.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: September 09, 2005, 08:19:20 PM »
Quote from: Shvegait  link=1114567084/465#477 date=1126293272
There is one backroute that involves bypassing the shredders by actually going between them, but I haven't found a clean way to fix this solution in CustLemm. In the Cheapo version, I just put two shredders on top of each other (one upside-down), and it eliminates this problem. However, the region of death in the Lemmings shredders is around the middle, so an upside-down one doesn't help much.

Forgot to mention:  the upside-down flag in LemEdit/CustLemm doesn't actually change the trigger area of the object.  It just draws the object upside-down, the trigger area is still at the same place it would be if the object isn't drawn upside-down.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 09, 2005, 08:20:37 PM »
Ah, yes. I did know that, but for the shredder it doesn't matter either way (as in, it even looks like the trigger area would be (roughly) the same).

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: September 09, 2005, 08:34:04 PM »
Hmm, there might be some interesting hacks I can do with the level to deal with the trigger area issue without affect appearances.  No guarantees, but I'll try.

I do need a screenshot (e-mail or PM) from you  though that indicates where you would ideally want the areas of death to cover, just to make sure I understand.

JM

« Reply #488 on: September 09, 2005, 09:18:42 PM »
Now It's time for me to review the 8th Level

Shveg01 - Level 8: Comic Book Heroes

Number of Lemmings: 80
To be saved: 70
RR: 1
Time: 4 minutes
Skills: 10 Blockers,20 Builders

Good: Level name suits the scenery and a good set of skills to leave level

Bad: The level is fairly simple

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 09, 2005, 09:21:58 PM »
JM, could you PM me your solution to Level 8? (And Level 6, also, I think you missed when I asked that.)

JM

« Reply #490 on: September 09, 2005, 09:29:13 PM »
I'll privately message you how I could complete Level 6 and 8.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 09, 2005, 09:42:22 PM »
Maybe that was the old version of Level 6 (see if the screenshot matches up)? I can't imagine having enough builders to do it that way and still saving 85%  :???:

JM

« Reply #492 on: September 09, 2005, 11:17:10 PM »
That probably was the old version of level 6.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #493 on: September 09, 2005, 11:21:46 PM »
Hmm. I'm not convinced that you actually passed Level 8. It sounds audacious for me to say that, I know, but I don't see how your solution would work...

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #494 on: September 09, 2005, 11:23:11 PM »
speaking of version:  Shvegait, e-mail me (or post a link to) the latest version of your .DAT file too so that I don't end up working on an outdated set (for the invisible shredder thing).