Author Topic: CustLemm Level List Game  (Read 256354 times)

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
Re: CustLemm Level List Game
« Reply #315 on: August 16, 2005, 07:57:39 PM »
Ok.. I've taken screenshots of all the levels except level 8, which crashes DOSBox for me (rather than a freeze, which usually happens for me with broken levels). Does this level work for anyone else? If not, then we'd of course have to skip the review of that level.

One thing about this pack is that every level is a spin on an original Lemmings level, so if we choose to review it, then the comments should probably be based on how well the author used the existing terrain to make a new level, how interesting the modifications are, etc. since we can't comment on the original terrain design.

JM

« Reply #316 on: August 16, 2005, 08:01:26 PM »
Level 8 i think worked ok for me.

Leviathan

« Reply #317 on: August 16, 2005, 08:38:53 PM »
I can't find the screenshots in the directory where they should be,but I'll mod my post with the screenshot as soon as they're available :)

20041.dat - Level1 - Just dig,bash,and bridge

Lems:2
To save:2
Time:2 mins
RR:1
Skills:12 builders,1digger and 2 bashers

Good: The steel areas makes it tricky to place the bashers right,also the builder needs a quick reaction time.

Bad: Way too easy,I could do the level in just one minute time with only 1 builder (and the 2 bashers and the digger)...it could have been made a bit trickier with more lemmings and a high release rate.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 16, 2005, 08:52:30 PM »
Oops. I was stupid and didn't actually upload the screenshots  :-[ They're there now though.

JM

« Reply #319 on: August 16, 2005, 09:05:05 PM »
I could do the level in just a minute aswell. How do you get the screenshots because I tried to get it for Level 8?

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 16, 2005, 09:09:57 PM »
In DOSBox, hitting Ctrl+F5 stores a .PNG screenshot in a directory called "capture" (inside your DOSBox directory) with the name of the application, followed by a number (i.e. custlemm_001.png).

If you're not running DOSBox, you may be able to get a screenshot with "Print Screen", pasting it into Paint or related program.

Since you can only get one screen at a time, you'll have to take several screenshots (perhaps around 7 for that level) and link them together where they overlap. I usually determine where to overlap screenshots based on where there are non-uniform (non-black) pixels at the very top or bottom of the screen, because it makes linking the screenshots accurately very easy.

One thing you will want to do is edit in Attributes the height of each screenshot, so that it is 160 pixels, instead of 200. This is how you can discard the tool, etc. information at the bottom of the screen. Widen the size of the picture as you link them, up to a maximum of 1584x160 (I believe Level 8 requires this maximum size). I usually start linking from right to left, because it works more naturally in Paint, but find whatever way you want to link them.

And of course, pause the game, so that your screenshots look correct together. I pause the game before the windows are opened and try to get it so that in levels with traps, they can be clearly seen, like the fire-shooting trap in the Hell graphics set and the ice-shooting one in the Snow set. The same goes for thin one-way walls, where the arrows sometimes do not appear at all.

Here's the next level:

20041 - Level 2: Have a rotten day
&#A0; &#A0;
80 Lems &#A0;
75% to save &#A0;
RR: 1
Time: 5 minutes
Skills: 1 climb, 1 float, 3 block, 15 build, 3 bash, 1 dig

Good: Interesting reversal of entrance and exit, with of course some other modifications. It's possible (but perhaps too easy) to save 100%.

Bad: Seems easier than "Have a nice day!" The one-way walls really should be set to display on ground only. The one-way area on the steel block seems to serve no purpose.

JM

« Reply #321 on: August 16, 2005, 09:47:29 PM »
It is easier than Have a nice day. Would be better if it was harder.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 17, 2005, 12:17:43 AM »
Quote from: Shvegait  link=1114567084/315#320 date=1124226597
If you're not running DOSBox, you may be able to get a screenshot with "Print Screen", pasting it into Paint or related program.

That's unlikely to work.  The PrintScreen only works with Windows app, not DOS apps.  You can do it with DOSBox because of course DOSBox itself is a Windows app (which just happens to emulate DOS apps).

As an aside, you can use Alt+PrintScreen to just capture the current active window.  That's how I generally made my screenshots for the Lemmings challenges.

JM

« Reply #323 on: August 17, 2005, 11:45:17 AM »
It would be time I reviewed Level 3.

20041 - Steel Failures

Number of Lemmings 80
82% to save
RR: 1
Time: 8 minutes
Skills: 27 Floaters,4 Blockers,14 Builders,2 Bashers,1 Digger

Good: Nice level design,Good amount of builders

Bad: 8 minutes? You can complete it less than that,Too many floaters

Leviathan

« Reply #324 on: August 17, 2005, 12:07:54 PM »
I couldn't pass that level...always too less builders :(

JM

« Reply #325 on: August 17, 2005, 08:06:02 PM »
Who wants to review Level 4 then?

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 17, 2005, 08:20:04 PM »

20041 - Level 4: Tightrope Murder

5 Lems  
20% to save  
RR: 99
Time: 1 minute
Skills: 4 bashers

Good: Uses the air bashing technique...

Bad: Way too simple. You have no choice *but* to air bash!

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 17, 2005, 08:32:31 PM »
Quote from: Shvegait  link=1114567084/315#326 date=1124310004
20041 - Level 4: Tightrope Murder

Interesting title, makes me wonder if Lemeri originally intended to use the "Columns" set (which has the rope trap).

JM

« Reply #328 on: August 17, 2005, 08:54:04 PM »
The title of the level is interesting. Lemeri seemed to have made a nice pack. But you have no choice but to airbash on the level. I'll call one of my next levels No Choice but to Air-Bash. I'll take a shot at Level 5.

20041 - Level 5: The roles Reversed

2 Lems  
100% to save  
Time: 9 minutes
Skills: 2 Floaters, 40 Builders, 40 Diggers

Good: You have to dig the bars to get through them which is challenging

Bad: Not a lot of lemmings on level

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 17, 2005, 09:14:03 PM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)  link=1114567084/315#327 date=1124310751
Interesting title, makes me wonder if Lemeri originally intended to use the "Columns" set (which has the rope trap).

Considering that every level in the pack is based on an original Lemmings level, it seems much more likely that he just took the level "Tightrope City" (Tricky 24), and added in the columns with the crushers, changing the word "City" to "Murder" (and, of course, he also added a triangle piece so you don't need to build up to the exit platform).

20041 - Level 6: Just three minutes
&#A0; &#A0;
80 Lems &#A0;
100% to save &#A0;
Time: 3 minutes
Skills: 15 builders, 1 miner

Good: You sort of have to be a little careful about how high you build...

Bad: The title! It took me just over two minutes to complete... and it seems possible to complete with at least 1:01 remaining. Other than that, the level is pretty boring.