Author Topic: CustLemm Level List Game  (Read 256317 times)

The Guest

Re: CustLemm Level List Game
« Reply #225 on: August 04, 2005, 07:43:36 PM »
This is regular guest speaking to differentiate from the more recent guest.

Just want to say I haven't got the chance to download the level yet.  It didn't look too hard to me, but I'm sure the devil's in the execution.

« Reply #226 on: August 04, 2005, 08:04:07 PM »
The solution requires some good timing at the beginning and some luck at the end. The execution is similar in difficulty to "There's madness in the method". But for some reason level 4 was harder for me. :P

Leviathan

« Reply #227 on: August 04, 2005, 09:34:47 PM »
If I recall I had another kind of solution to Madness in the method...but mostly I ended up with my miner splatting.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 04, 2005, 11:50:48 PM »
Huh? Once you know the trick to "A new roof for the entrance", it should take you a couple of tries at most... Don't even try to compare it to "There's madness in the method", although the trick is quite cool and I'll admit I use a variation of it in one of my levels (new pack that's not done yet). But really it's not that hard to execute...

So which pack are we reviewing next?

Leviathan

« Reply #229 on: August 04, 2005, 11:55:47 PM »
I would love mine to be reviewed :)

I believe someone could make the screenshots and upload them easily.

My levelpack is here:http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/lemmingswelt/index.php
The pack is called "levipack1"

EDIT: in order to let 2 of my levels run well,you need to copy the extended graphic sets from the lemmings folder into your custlem folder (vgaspec0 trough vgaspec3)

« Reply #230 on: August 05, 2005, 12:15:24 AM »
Hmmm...my solution is probably a lot harder than it needs to be. Here's how I didi it:Let the first lemming walk a ways then make him dig. Make the second one dig as close to the other hole as possible without falling in. When the third lemming comes out set the release rate to 99. The third lemming should turn back, make him dig over the exit. When the diggers are low enough so that the lemmings won't die, make one of the lemmings bash under the second digger. Then make the first digger build.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 05, 2005, 01:01:33 AM »
Oh, interesting. Here is my solution (the trick that I had been referring to should become obvious):

Let the first lemming walk a ways then make him dig. Make the second lemming fall in the hole and dig also, make the third lemming hit the right side of the diggers' tunnel and face the exit, then dig in between the first two lemmings, freeing at least one (so there are only 2 diggers digging). Raise the release rate to 99. After waiting a bit to get a safe fall height, make the digger facing the exit a basher. Stop the other digger by making him a builder (this can be done at any time.)

Leviathan, I've just downloaded your pack and will take screenshots right away. One note, they are being filed under "levpak1" instead of "levipak1", because that is the name of the .dat file. If this is unacceptable let me know. "levpak1" might sound generic, as in "level pack 1", whereas "levipak1" couldn't be construed that way... but it's your choice, just let me know!

« Reply #232 on: August 05, 2005, 01:16:52 AM »
Aaargh! I knew I did it the hard way!

I didn't know diggers could free each other. That suggests that the "we all fall down" levels could be done easily with 2 diggers (maybe). The first one digs and the second one digs near the right edge of the hole, freeing the first digger (might not work).

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 05, 2005, 02:20:56 AM »
That won't work.

The reason you can free diggers with diggers is because you can eliminate the ground completely under the digger (This is especially easy when you have two diggers and a third that frees one of the others. You need to be pixel-perfect for just one digger to free another). In your "We all fall down" example, however, there must be at least one pixel left, so the digger will not be freed. (This is a different story in Cheapo, which requires at least 2 pixels for a digger to continue digging).

Edit: I've uploaded the screenshots of Leviathan's levels.

Some of his levels are quite challenging (Some are annoying  X_X)!  Conway knows how much I hate 80 floater levels (in which you need to use all 80, and have a very limited time to do so...), so i really shouldn't review the first level... I'll leave that to someone else :)

Leviathan

« Reply #234 on: August 05, 2005, 07:54:10 AM »
I never knew that about the diggers too,that's why it seemed imposible for me :)

I know about the first level...it's the first one I ever made :)
Note that the rest of the levels isn't in the same order than the order I made them,the second one I made was level 10 :)

If you can,you may call it Levipak1 as lev or levi stands for "leviathan" :)

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 05, 2005, 03:25:23 PM »
I understand that... I was merely stating that the file itself is called "Levpak.dat", and the naming convention I've been using refers to the .dat file.

Offline Isu

• View Profile
I didn't reply earlier. I was working.
« Reply #236 on: August 05, 2005, 05:01:51 PM »
Quote from: guest  link=1114567084/210#224 date=1123184037
The trick for level 10 requires some luck and is difficult to pull off. I've only managed to do it once. I had a digger spare so I probably did it the same way as Isu.

No, you didn't; I used the same solution as Shvegait.

JM

« Reply #237 on: August 05, 2005, 06:13:27 PM »
When is the next levelpak being reviewed? May I ask kindly

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 05, 2005, 06:44:08 PM »
As soon as someone decides to review the first level of Leviathan's pack... Like I said before, I won't review it because I won't say anything good about it, but someone else might :)

the guest

« Reply #239 on: August 05, 2005, 08:05:38 PM »
Quote from: Shvegait  link=1114567084/225#238 date=1123267448
Like I said before, I won't review it because I won't say anything good about it, but someone else might :)

Such encouraging words for new levelmakers......  ;P

I see that brutal honesty is your personal philosophy.  :-/