Author Topic: Music problem  (Read 8999 times)

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
Music problem
« on: December 29, 2008, 06:34:59 AM »
I have some kind of annoying problem with my corrected version of Lemmings. On Mayhem 2, "The Boiler Room", the music is kinda messed up. Notes are playing badly and this is very annoying. I used Fix#3 from ccexplore's Lemmings Music Fixed executables.

Does somebody here knows how to fix that little bug? It only occurs for that level. ccexplore, if you're here, please help! :cry:
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
Re: Music problem
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 08:28:35 AM »
Nobody? :sad:

Offline -H0ru5-

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 10:46:25 AM »
I also noticed sometimes the music is fizzling (every 2nd and 10th music for me), but after months surplisingly this bug disappeared completely by itself...

If it is only on that level and the all with the same music then it is more strange... sorry I don't know the solution :(

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 01:15:46 PM »
Haven't been around as I've been busy w/ some other stuff.  I'll take a look and see, assuming I can dig out my own copy of the fix you mentioned.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 01:50:28 PM »
Well I just tried out my own copy of lem-fix3.exe and there's no problem with Mayhem 2's music (it's the same music as Fun 4).  You must've changed some other stuff in there that's causing the problem.  Email me your executable and I might be able to track down the problem.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 06:19:02 AM »
I didn't change anything in the executable. I even downloaded a fresh version of lem-fix3.exe and the same problem occurred.

Here's my "corrected version" of Lemmings : Download. Go to Mayhem 2 and listen. At the beginning, everything is fine, but after some seconds, something weird happens.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 06:04:04 PM »
I notice some glitches in the music here and there but this is happening on a lot of levels not just Mayhem 2.  I notice that you've replaced the levels with the Amiga versions (that have all those water and other objects that are missing in the DOS version).  When I go back to using the DOS levels, the glitches seem to go away.

I did a comparison of lemmings.exe and adlib.dat with my own copies, and they are identical to mine.

So my conclusion is that maybe there's your reason why they took out all those "missing" water and objects in the DOS version.  Maybe the game just can't keep up when you put back in those additional objects, and the glitches in the music is one of the symptoms of the game starting to lag.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 08:19:51 AM »
Quote from: ccexplore
I notice some glitches in the music here and there but this is happening on a lot of levels not just Mayhem 2.

Well, this is strange, as I played every level and only that one has that problem.

I notice that you've replaced the levels with the Amiga versions (that have all those water and other objects that are missing in the DOS version).

Of course, this is the purpose of the "corrected version" to have it to be like the Amiga version.

So my conclusion is that maybe there's your reason why they took out all those "missing" water and objects in the DOS version.  Maybe the game just can't keep up when you put back in those additional objects, and the glitches in the music is one of the symptoms of the game starting to lag.

I don't know exactly how the executable is running, but I thought that when a level is loaded, it only keeps the actual level in memory and NOT the others. Tell me if I'm wrong. In Mayhem 2, there are not a lot of objects compared to some other levels and I thought it would keep the actual level objects in memory without affecting anything else.

However, I tested Mayhem 2 with lem-fix2.exe and there wasn't that problem again (it was another song). Therefore, I didn't encounter any sign of lags. But I didn't test all the levels with that version. I'm curious, if you use that version instead, does the same music glitches happen?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 09:49:55 PM »
I don't know exactly how the executable is running, but I thought that when a level is loaded, it only keeps the actual level in memory and NOT the others. Tell me if I'm wrong. In Mayhem 2, there are not a lot of objects compared to some other levels and I thought it would keep the actual level objects in memory without affecting anything else.

What you said is true, but the fact remains that the only difference is in the levels, so logically something with the Amiga levels must be contributing to the problem.  It might not be the number of interactive objects per se, but maybe something like the number of objects that are continuously animated.  Water and lava for example are animated all the time (as opposed to traps which are only animated when activated), and maybe having too many of them can cause problems.  Or maybe the level data in the Amiga level have something unexpected like steel and interactive object triggers that are outside the level bounds.  I don't know.

More confusing is the fact that we're seeing different results in our computers, so for all I know maybe it's an issue with DOSBox for example.  The bottom line is, it's not something I can fix.

It might be interesting to try the Amiga levels on the original lemmings.exe on your own computer and see what happens.  I think you should be able to get the same music on Mayhem 2 if you start off playing on Taxing 29 and solve all levels up to Mayhem 1 w/o restarting a level.  Basically, do you get the same problem with the original lemmings.exe and Amiga versions of Mayhem 2 if the same music is being played?

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 10:26:30 AM »
Ok, I just tested what you said. I used the original vgalemmi.exe from the floppy version and started playing from Taxing 29. Once on Mayhem 2, the same problem occured.

BUT, I did modify a few levels in the DAT file where "The Boiler Room" level is (Level005.dat) by removing a few useless objects and then, I saved them using LemEdit. When I played Mayhem 2 again, the problem disappeared! Yippie! :thumbsup:

I'm thinking that, when there are too much objects stored in a DAT file, it may brings weird things. I don't know. But anyway, everything works fine now and this is what matters!

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 03:24:39 AM »
In DOS lemmings, I notice there is an occasional music error in which the music won't play at all. It seems that the best way to fix it is to reboot, but I forget if it was just the game, or the computer, so if you have that bug, try rebooting the game FIRST. If it is to reboot the computer, you should have an advantage by using DOSbox, where you just close and reload the program in question.