Author Topic: Don't exit on losing all lemmings (feature development)  (Read 5901 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: Don't exit on losing all lemmings (feature development)
« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2024, 02:43:22 PM »
OK, this fixes the problem. We specifically check for (StateIsUnplayable and a non-Success result) at the point that the replay check stops because of StateIsUnplayable, and return a CR_FAIL result:

Code: [Select]
            if (Game.CurrentIteration > CutoffFrame) or
               Game.IsOutOfTime or Game.StateIsUnplayable then
            begin
              Game.Finish(GM_FIN_TERMINATE);
              if Game.GameResultRec.gSuccess then
                fReplays[i].ReplayResult := CR_PASS;
              if Game.GameResultRec.gGotTalisman then
                fReplays[i].ReplayResult := CR_PASS_TALISMAN;
              if (not Game.GameResultRec.gSuccess) and Game.StateIsUnplayable then  <----- added these lines---
                fReplays[i].ReplayResult := CR_FAIL;                              <-----------------------------
              Break;
            end;

New .exe attached. We'll call this one Exp 13 (1/5/24).

EDIT: Maybe IsOutOfTime should also be factored in, and return a CR_FAIL result?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 03:06:39 PM by WillLem »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 01, 2024, 03:10:32 PM »
OK, even better.

This time, we factor in IsOutOfTime as well.

if (Game.CurrentIteration > CutoffFrame) or
               Game.IsOutOfTime or Game.StateIsUnplayable then
            begin
              Game.Finish(GM_FIN_TERMINATE);
                fReplays[i].ReplayResult := CR_PASS;
                fReplays[i].ReplayResult := CR_PASS_TALISMAN;
              if (Game.StateIsUnplayable or Game.IsOutOfTime) <------------------------------------
                and not Game.GameResultRec.gSuccess then      <--------changed these lines------
                  fReplays[i].ReplayResult := CR_FAIL;        <------------------------------------
              Break;
            end;

This now only returns CR_UNDETERMINED if the level has an infinite time limit. Otherwise, if the time limit has been reached and the result is non-Success, it returns CR_FAIL. Not sure why it wasn't always like this tbh, there are probably reasons. But, this works nicely.

New .exe attached. We'll call this one The 4pm Version 8-)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #107 on: May 01, 2024, 06:44:19 PM »
Thanks. Both packs that I tested yesterday (the NL Introduction pack and Lemmings United) produce identical text outputs during mass-replay-verification in your new nl-4pm as they produced in nl-2024-04-08. In other words, in nl-4pm, the replays are still oneframediff, which is good.

Your code (that you posted with nl-4pm) looks reasonable. I've only looked at your snippet, I haven't looked at the codebase. In those GameResultRec that you get there, does gGotTalisman always imply gSuccess? Then I don't see any problems.

I haven't looked at your test cases yet. The idea is excellent. I wouldn't worry much about the "Error" high-level result.

-- Simon

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 03, 2024, 12:41:22 AM »
does gGotTalisman always imply gSuccess?

As far as I can tell, yes. We first check for Success, then check for a Talisman, wherever it's relevant. So, if we're checking for a Talisman then we have to have reached a Success result.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #109 on: May 03, 2024, 05:11:00 AM »
As far as I can tell, yes. We first check for Success, then check for a Talisman, wherever it's relevant. So, if we're checking for a Talisman then we have to have reached a Success result.

That doesn't answer my worry.

Reason: You're not exiting the monster, you're continuing into tests that care for (not success), but not for (not talisman) and overwrite the result that depended on your test for success:

... things that depend on success but don't exit early ...
if (Game.StateIsUnplayable or Game.IsOutOfTime)
    and not Game.GameResultRec.gSuccess then
        fReplays[i].ReplayResult := CR_FAIL;

This is a problem when the supplier of that result struct GameResultRec allows to have (gSuccess false at the same time as g.GotTalisman true). When I wrote "imply", I meant this supplier's side of concerns, not the consuming code that you showed. Your code seems to assume that the supplier always has gSuccess whenever he has g.GotTalisman. I ask you if that assumption is justified.

Your unassuming line would be:

and not (Game.GameResultRec.gSuccess or Game.GameResultRec.gGotTalisman) then
I'll have time for code review tonight, Friday 3rd, 17:00 UTC, or anytime on the weekend.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 10:32:54 AM by Simon »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Today at 12:48:00 AM »
You're not exiting the monster, you're continuing into tests that care for (not success), but not for (not talisman) and overwrite the result that depended on your test for success:

I see what you mean, but this happens in the very next block:

begin

This makes me wonder whether gGotTalisman does indeed imply gSuccess. However, a quick search elsewhere in the codebase doesn't make it clear that these conditions are definitely mutually inclusive.

So, I've committed and pushed your suggested change. You're right, let's not assume anything.

I'll have time for code review tonight, Friday 3rd, 17:00 UTC, or anytime on the weekend.

Weekend is good for me too, shall we aim for 1700 UTC Saturday?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #111 on: Today at 01:47:54 AM »
All right, 17:00 UTC on Saturday is it!

-- Simon