Author Topic: I am running on windows Xp neon screen  (Read 8065 times)

Mr Kiwi

I am running on windows Xp neon screen
« on: January 09, 2008, 11:21:52 PM »
I am running on windows Xp and am trying to figure out how to clear up this issue.
I have included a screen shot of the problem.

I have tried running in 16 & 8 Bit mode and in dos box normally.

The rest of the game looks fine. And I should mention it doe this same thing for every game.

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
Re: I am running on windows Xp neon screen
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 02:27:16 AM »
By "dos box" do you mean like the command prompt box of XP or do you mean the actual DOSBox program?

If you are trying to run it directly from Windows XP, it just won't work out.  Their DOS support really sucks.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 04:44:42 AM »
I get the same issue in DOSBox now...
(I don't get this issue through just using XP though...)

Interestingly, this didn't happen before, so I'm guessing it has something to do with the latest version of DOSBox, or maybe not. You might want to try an older version of DOSBox (the new changes don't seem to have any positive impact on Lemmings so you wouldn't be missing anything there) and see if that clears up the problem.

Mr Kiwi

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 05:08:18 AM »
Update: well I downgraded my version of dosbox to 6.5 and bam it works correctly!

But now FRAPS kills it =(
FRAPS is a game play recording program, I need to work.

It makes the game super slow...

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 11:07:55 AM »
Video capturing is very CPU intensive.  So is DOSBox.

Trying to do both at the same time probably won't work out unless you have a very powerful computer.

Mr Kiwi

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 06:32:10 PM »
AMD X2 6400+ @ 3.21GHz X2
4gb of ram
8800 GTS

Don't know where the bottle neck is =/

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 09:30:40 PM »
...oh

In that case, I dunno.  Try lowering the cycles in DOSBox as far as you can without the game slowing down.  Less cycles = less CPU usage and more for Fraps to use.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 11:29:28 PM »
Okay, this color glitch is nothing related with computers or windows, but just a compatibility problem between latest versions of Dosbox and Lemmings. This bug appeared in the 0.70 (or 0.71?) version of Dosbox. I did some tests trying to solve the problem and finally comes with a conclusion. The problem is... the mouse. It sounds strange, but true.

When you're on the main screen. Press F1 key to start the game and immediately after, click with the left mouse button (here, it depends of which version you have. If the main screen DOES a fade out, it's ok, but if it DOESN'T (turns black straightly), then it won't work). The messed up colors will disappear (if not, try again by entering the level and going back to the main menu), but you'll only be able to click on  one of the mouse buttons (keyboard won't work). If you do, the messed up colors will show again and then, you'll be able to use back keybord and mouse and start the level by clicking on the left mouse button. Strange, huh?

As for recording, Dosbox already allows to record (from 0.65 version). Press CTRL+ALT+F5 to start and stop recording as an AVI file. You don't need Fraps for that.
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...