Author Topic: Lix Community Level Set  (Read 169645 times)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Lix Community Level Set
« Reply #720 on: April 07, 2014, 10:00:20 PM »
Replays for Death or Glory, Feel the Pressure, Seven Pillars, Skulls and Crimson Room (A).

Note for myself from IRC:
<mobius_> figured how to save 100% on Goblin city, that's good
<mobius_> little miner puzzle is harder then level 11
<mobius_> I know they're not in order of difficulty but if that's the general idea, I think it's tougher than that
<NaOH> really? It didn't seem that hard to me
<mobius_> i haven't even solved it yet
<NaOH> oh =P sorry. Good luck!
<mobius_> idk I'm stupid sometimes, but usually I prefer the single skill levels like not near the very beginning
<mobius_> unless they're tutorials
<NaOH> I like so-called "hidden" tutorials
<NaOH> which are parts of the game that teach you how to play without telling you how to play.
<mobius__> ok either I did solve this level before and I just don't remember or I'm a total idiot
<mobius__> despite ordering, I think minimalism 1 is easier than 2
<mobius_> well maybe not, they're about the same
<mobius_> Land of Rainbows and Unicrorns was a fun level, despite being a tad annoying with the precision required
<mobius_> but I do'nt see a way around that
<mobius_> oh yeah it's way harder than it's position
<mobius_> unless im not finding the right solution

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #721 on: April 08, 2014, 05:41:52 PM »
Seven Pillars is precisely as intended.

Death or Glory is an alternative solution that also works on the original level, so I'm not going to fix it.

Crimson Room (A) -- if the lasers don't prevent a left-climb solution, there's no point in having them, so let's stick with the (B) version.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #722 on: April 08, 2014, 06:49:08 PM »
Lix Potion Number Nine-- [isn't this the level with a bunch of factories?] I didn't find any compression was necessary, since you can lose a lot  ??? unless I have an old version.

Yes, the simplest solution is to set SI 4 at the start and just watch. That saves exactly the required 40/80, so it's not obvious it will work, you have to think of trying it out. Of course, you can save more by combining this idea with building or digging past some of the traps.

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #723 on: April 08, 2014, 07:23:24 PM »
Interesting solution for Skulls! The second half was right, but it's not supposed to require a cuber in the middle or any building directly underneath the steel. I'll see what I can do about that.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: April 09, 2014, 06:44:41 PM »
names like Martin Zurlinden, I recommend shortening to Martin Z or something like that, so it looks nicer in the menu bar.

replace all instances of "TM" or "thick molasses" with random name of your choosing like "ElvisIsAlive"
-----
Low clearence by I.S. is a little easier than it's position
100 ways to die, is harder imo, haven't solved this yet but I could just be silly.
Tribute to Flagpole Sitting, maybe a little harder

Merge Sort: I liked this one a lot. Definitely harder than its position. I think I solved it easier from playing a similar level to it before so to a newcomer it might be pretty difficult.

------
more levels ok with removing: Dances with Lixes

If there are still two version of "Tinker Tailer Soldier Lix, if needed keep only the harder one; one with Proxima's solution. (There should be 3 miners and there ought to be a brick on the right side near the exit that makes it harder to mine through there but I don't remember exactly).

I haven't mentioned any of the levels which I collab'd with other people like Proxima or Nortaneous. simply because since it wasn't all my own I won't make that decision on my own but as for my opinion; I'm ok with any of those being removed if they needed to be.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: April 16, 2014, 11:03:57 PM »
"the lix who Japed" is a new Lix level (while it was an old Lemmix level but I never redid it for reasons) I recently removed at least a few backroutes. It can replace any of my other levels. [Unless it's not well received..]
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #726 on: April 18, 2014, 05:52:17 PM »
I love it -- it's like a fixed version of The Great Lemming Caper, one of my favourite levels from the original. Unfortunately, it's not entirely backroute-free; perhaps the gap at the bottom-left needs to be a little wider?

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #727 on: April 18, 2014, 09:13:03 PM »
I've gone through the community set in the current order as far as #183 "To Destroy is to Construct", and assigned every level a quality rating from A+ to C. (No point in using lower ratings; all the levels are good!) I stopped at that point because the next two levels are ones I haven't solved, and there are more I haven't solved later on, but all the levels from that point on are excellent.

I also noted a few changes to be made, and a few levels that were blatantly out of place. I don't think the ordering is perfect except for these, but reordering was not my primary goal for now  8)

A couple of general points stood out:

* Levels whose entire raison d'etre is subverting expectations set by a previous level (Derailed Level, Laser Deathroom 2, Changing of the Guards 2) really should come after that level even if they are a bit easier. None of these levels are drastically easier than their counterparts, so I don't think that should be a problem. (Though I don't really want CotG2 to be included anyway.)

* I'm not a fan of levels like Cuber Replacement 1 that teach a trick by offering you no alternative except to perform that trick. I enjoy Lemmings/Lix because I enjoy solving puzzles, and working out new tricks as and when you need them is part of that.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: April 26, 2014, 08:14:42 PM »
Thanks a lot for that list, this should be a great help to sort (out) levels quite a bit. I'll compile a list of levels that I have gripes with too hopefully soon-ish and post it. And thanks everyone else for their feedback too.
For the two/multi-parters, I intended to have each of them either in direct sequence, or in different ratings if their difficulties differ notably.
What do you not like about Changing of the Guards 2? I find it to be quite an elegant solution, especially as it's possible with just three skills, so I was wondering what your gripe is with it. I mean if you insist I can take it out, though I quite like it so I'd like to know at least why in that case...

I finally solved Labyrinth of Despair! And my solution saves 100% too. It gave me a lot of trouble, even though there are probably multiple solution due to the sheer variety of the skill set, it's still not easy to find any. Great level!
I also solved Panic Attack, and The Lix who Japed. I think for the latter I have a backroute, as the timing at the beginning is really tight. There must be something better I think.

mobius: I don't like having random names pop up as level authors, can I just put 'mobius' as the author of all of your levels?

NaOH: Any updates to Skulls, Sludge, and Steel?

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #729 on: April 26, 2014, 11:27:04 PM »
Yep! Updated the level.

Here it is.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #730 on: April 27, 2014, 09:49:04 PM »
First of all: Congrats to all of you for this great level set :thumbsup:!

All comments below refer to the levels geoo linked to in his first post. The last time I updated my levels was late march. The numbering of the levels also refers to this list.

Levels that I found harder than the current rating:
Merge Sort (62), Derailed Level (64, far harder), Riddle me this (84, not yet solved), A fearful symmetry (94, my solution needs very precise execution), When the levee breaks (102, not yet solved), Circular Ruins (145, not yet solved though extensively tried), Get Hype (187, not yet solved though extensively tried)

Levels that I found easier than the current rating:
Adventure Playground (57), Detour (79), Flugtag (81), One way segment (83), Prelude (90, backrouted?), Abominable Snowlix (92), Switchback (101, backrouted?), Excavation (112), Hard to Port! (126, backrouted?), Three days of the Condor (132), A completely ridiculous level (133, 100% saved is easy), Logging you process (138, had this solution also for the prequel), Under the rainbow (146), Dilemma (157, backrouted?), Mice in the Pipeline (162), Watch Ye Step! (196), A Soulful bounding leap (200), Alien Invasion (207), Round Trip (218), Betcha can't save just one (223), Halfway down the stairs (230)

As already indicated, several of my solutions do not feel like intended ones. The most prominent examples are attached.

There are also some levels that deserve special comments. These comments contain mostly criticisms, because the list of levels that deserve "Great level" is just too long...
- Roundabout (39) @Möbius: Can you please check whether this level is actually solvable. There is a pesky gap at the top between the boxes and the steel to the right, which isn't there in the Lemmini level.
- Migration (67) and Last Mile (75): I don't understand the time limit. Every solution I can think of fits within the time limits (at least after two or three tries)
- Can't reach it - don't need it (70): Wrong title - the lower exit can be reached (which isn't even that hard btw).
- Cold irons bound (78): May I suggest a sequel without any floater (but everything else the same)?
- Too much stepping stones (105): This level gets much easier with basher- and miner-stairs (and even then it is non-trivial to pull off a solution). But as far as I know, there are no earlier levels showing off this trick. So for inexperienced players, this level is MUCH harder.
- Trivial Matters (107), Subversive Activities (152) and Elixir (197): Trivial matters and Elixir are (up to a slightly moved exit) the very same levels (unless I missed something). Subversive Activities uses the same general approach (but has some twists in its execution). Doesn't one of these levels (preferrable Subversive Activities) suffice?
- The same comment, but to a lesser degree, concerns: Derailed levels (64 + 189), Logging your Progress (54 + 138), Backslash (98 + 168)
- Impetus (113): It's fairly easy to save 100% using 2 climbers, 2 miners and 1 jumper. Intended?
- Corridor of Death (179): Is hiding the trap really necessary?

And finally one question: Is there a list with all intended/officially accepted solutions (except the 49 pages of this thread)? I would like to compare my solutions to the ones already known, before posting them here and stealing your time. 

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #731 on: April 27, 2014, 11:39:01 PM »
No, we don't have a compilation of intended solutions. It's a nice idea, but it would have required us all to redo replays each time the game mechanics were changed.

For Prelude, that's one of the intended solutions. It's meant to be a fairly easy level, and I agree that geoo placed it too late. However, if you feel the level would be stronger if I cut this solution, please say so.

I like your solution to Corridor of Death better than mine, so yours is the intended solution now  :P

Lix Cannon will have to be fixed, which will be tricky as it's an adaptation of a level that used one-way walls. I'll do my best, as I hope the level can be saved.

For other levels, it's not up to me whether they'll be fixed or not, but I do know that most of the solutions you attached replays of were not intended.

Derailed Level and Off the Rails should have completely different solutions, so if you solved both the same way then you did something unintended.

I would love to see your solution to Halfway Down the Stairs, as the intended solution is actually impossible under current mechanics (I am hoping the mechanics will be fixed before release, otherwise the level will be scrapped).

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #732 on: April 28, 2014, 02:44:47 AM »
Proxima, let's talk in the channel at some time about the to-be-fixed bug that breaks Halfway Down the Stairs. It's not easy to find a simple algorithm to flinging (I assume that's the reason) that disallows two same-sided batters travelling together, but being fair across players. :-)

-- Simon

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #733 on: April 28, 2014, 04:21:29 PM »
I attached replays for both Derailed levels. As I will probably get the same request for Subversive/Elixir and Back(s)lash, these are attached as well.
Moreover the replay to Halfway, but I am not sure if I have the latest version of Lix (and I am too lazy to check right now). Nevertheless I hope that my solution allows for slight changes in the game mechanics, as I don't use the fling-bomber and do nothing special with the batter.

Prelude: I don't know the other solutions, so I cannot really decide whether removing this solution would be good. It just felt somewhat disappointing and cheating to have such a big level and using only a very small part of it.

Corridor: Ok... but I still don't like my own solution ;).

Lix Cannon: I don't know if that helps fixing the level, but I need to be pixel-precise when starting the first basher facing left.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #734 on: April 28, 2014, 05:06:23 PM »
Ah, nice. That's mostly the intended solution to Halfway, but you didn't use the cuber on the second step and so saved one more than I did. Looks like the bug affecting this level has been fixed -- at one point, the climber/bomber would have fallen before exploding and so you couldn't get up the third step.

The rest of the level space in Prelude is "used" in the sense that you need it for the only solution that saves 100%, so I'm inclined towards leaving it at the moment.