Author Topic: The Lemmings quiz thread!  (Read 36527 times)

tseug

Re: The Lemmings quiz thread!
« Reply #165 on: January 21, 2006, 11:20:55 PM »
What happened to levi's quetion? I only know the name and number of one, and nothing about the other. :P

Jazzem

« Reply #166 on: January 21, 2006, 11:54:44 PM »
!

I didn't notice, Dragonslover forgot to answer! I guess the next person will have to answer my/levi's questions.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 22, 2006, 12:52:02 AM »
Quote from: Jazzem link=1134943315/165#166 date=1137887684
I didn't notice, Dragonslover forgot to answer!
Has he ever answered anything? :P This is at least the second time he cut in with only a question.

I'm still wondering how Ahribar got the graphics for the interactive objects without using LemEdit.

I wish I can answer the question but I'm just not familiar enough with the Genesis version.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 22, 2006, 10:03:25 AM »
Trade secret  ::)

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 23, 2006, 08:40:45 PM »
Nope, I didn't answer. Sorry, I've skipped this question. :-[
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 23, 2006, 09:02:05 PM »
OK..... anyone else? Even partial information?

(If you can't be bothered looking back, the question was: which two levels unique to the Genesis/MD version form a repeated terrain pair but with a slight alteration to the terrain layout, other than the two "Fall and No Life" levels?)

tseug

« Reply #171 on: January 24, 2006, 12:14:27 AM »
One of them is Taxing 2: temporary peace

I guess I should set a new question:
Which non-constant traps work on lemmings with no ground under their feet?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 24, 2006, 12:35:41 AM »
Quote from: tseug link=1134943315/165#171 date=1138061667
I guess I should set a new question:
Which non-constant traps work on lemmings with no ground under their feet?
[smiley=huh.gif] I was under the impression that all traps will activate as long as the lemming enters the relevant trigger area, walking or otherwise?

In any case, I'm quite certain there is no difference in how the game treats the various forms of a non-constant trap (ie. the ones that's harmless to other lemmings while operating on a victim); they differ purely in the graphics.  So the answer would have to be either all of them or none of them.

tseug

« Reply #173 on: January 24, 2006, 01:07:33 AM »
Some of them are different. And constant traps are different, the lemming is technically still there while the animation is playing. On non-constant traps the lemming is removed as soon as the animation starts.

Maybe the number would help? I'll go count again to make sure I have it right.

EDIT: Some traps have trigger areas only 4 pixels wide. I missed a few, cce may be right.

EDIT2: cce is right, just ignore that question. The problem was that objects are aligned to multiples of 8, so some of them missed. :P An interesting thing I discovered though is that the trigger area for all non-constant traps is 4 pixles wide. I think it's also 4 pixels high.

Leviathan

« Reply #174 on: January 24, 2006, 01:41:53 AM »
I tried saving a drowning lemming by putting the exit in the drowner's path but it seems to fail...

With non-constant traps,the lemming is removed instantly,the lem you see "frying" or so,is an animation and not a real lem.

However with constant traps (also water/lava/acid/tentacles) the real lemming is still there and does unusual stuff.
And this is what intrigues me a lot...there are also several other "unusual" behaviors of lemmings:
-Jumper (no skill can be distributed I guess except bomber)
-Oh-no-er (behaves very strangely,especially when he enters the exit while oh-no-ing)
-Splatter (the lem also remains for a little while)
-Faller (can be turned around by blocker)
-Shrugger (I know in certain versions this can trigger really strange behavior)

After all this,I wonder in which situations a lem can be saved and/or cause abnormal/glitchy behavior...

One other thin that seems strange to me is that interactive objects have a trigger area but exits don't work when there's no terrain under them...

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 24, 2006, 01:56:33 AM »
Quote from: tseug link=1134943315/165#173 date=1138064853
An interesting thing I discovered though is that the trigger area for all non-constant traps is 4 pixels wide. I think it's also 4 pixels high.
No, I remember the electrode trap used in "Rhapsody in Blue" has a height of 8 for the trigger area.  And I would think the spike traps in Taxing 4 probably has a height that's closer to the graphical height of the trap than only 4 pixels.

I don't remember the width, but I seem to remember the electrode trap trigger area's height is also 8.

It's true though that the minimum possible trigger area is 4x4, just like steel areas.  So it makes sense that many non-constant traps will have trigger areas of that size.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 24, 2006, 02:06:59 AM »
Quote from: Leviathan link=1134943315/165#174 date=1138066913
I tried saving a drowning lemming by putting the exit in the drowner's path but it seems to fail...
Although I'm not 100% positive off top of my head, I'm fairly confident that you cannot save a drowning lemming.

I believe I mention some time ago that when trigger areas overlap, the one with the highest z-order lower than 16 "wins" the overlap.  In other words, the trigger area with the highest z-order below 16 overwrites other trigger areas in the overlap.

I'm also somewhat certain that the game will not drift a drowning lemming to a location that is non-water, for obvious reasons.

So you have a catch-22.  If you want the lemming to drift to the location with the exit's trigger area, you would need to have water in that area, but then the water would overwrite the exit's trigger area, basically erasing the exit.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 24, 2006, 02:14:04 AM »
Having pointed out that DragonsLover doesn't always answer questions, I'm going to be hypocritical now and step in to replace tseug's withdrawn question :P:

In Genesis Lemmings, there are 2 pairs of levels such that:

1) One level's title names the level as "part 2" of the other level.
2) The "part 2" level precedes the other level in the natural ordering (ie. ascending rating then number).

Name the levels in each of the two pairs.

Hint:  criteria #1 specifically concerns only the title.  The levels are not necessarily similar......

Leviathan

« Reply #178 on: January 24, 2006, 02:26:42 AM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)(Guest) link=1134943315/165#176 date=1138068419
Quote from: Leviathan link=1134943315/165#174 date=1138066913
Although I'm not 100% positive off top of my head, I'm fairly confident that you cannot save a drowning lemming.

I believe I mention some time ago that when trigger areas overlap, the one with the highest z-order lower than 16 "wins" the overlap. &#A0;In other words, the trigger area with the highest z-order below 16 overwrites other trigger areas in the overlap.

I'm also somewhat certain that the game will not drift a drowning lemming to a location that is non-water, for obvious reasons.

So you have a catch-22. &#A0;If you want the lemming to drift to the location with the exit's trigger area, you would need to have water in that area, but then the water would overwrite the exit's trigger area, basically erasing the exit.

I've noticed some drowners drifting outside water objects (air) I think,but I certainly saw a drifter bouncing back when he hit a wall.

What would happen if I set the Z order from the exit to 0 and that of the water to 1,hence having the exit trigger area overlapping some parts of the water?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 24, 2006, 02:37:53 AM »
The part of the exit's trigger area that overlaps with the water's will be overwritten by the water (since the water has the higher z).  So this is exactly like what I said above, you won't have an exit trigger area for the lemming to drift to.

In the reverse case, it should be the case that the lemming will not drift past the exit's trigger area.  It's possible that graphically the lemming might look to have reached the trigger area (ie. some of the observed motion is in the animation rather than explicitly repositioning the lemming), but that would just be graphical.

Try it out and see what happens.  As I said, I'm not 100% sure.