Author Topic: Custom Level Remake  (Read 20289 times)

Offline Luis

• View Profile
Re: Custom Level Remake
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 05:52:32 PM »
Setting up the Dazzle was complicated for me too at first. You need three RCA splitters for it and the instruction manual that it comes with doesn't tell you that.

Another megadrive level finished. Seeing a level remade with different graphics doesn't get old, because even though it looks different, it still plays the same way. I said in the other post that those brown terrains are not in the PSP editor but you can use the ice as a replacement. There's three types of those round circles. I think I made the hill at the a little too far from the vertical one on the left.

Lemmings PSP: Tea Time in the ball country

I'm gonna try to do Suicidal Tendencies now, but note that ONML has different terrains from the first game, so it won't look exactly the same.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 09:57:34 PM »
So I decided to remake one of my custom levels in the PS2 format. It turned out OK, although the timing is a bit off at the beginning. But I only have a CRT television and a s***ty camera, so this looks a lot better in front of my eyes than it does in the photos....

Here's the DOS level:

And here are the two photos of the PS2 levels (linked because i haven't compressed them):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15543016/lem/climbing-level-ps2a.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15543016/lem/climbing-level-ps2b.JPG

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 12:08:32 AM »
That was cool. Got anymore? I made the Suicidal Tendencies that minimac wanted. This level was annoying me because you have to really start the builder on the edge, especially on the one near the exit. 

And the video is for anyone that wants to see the level in action.
Lemmings PSP: Suicidal Tendencies
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 12:31:27 AM »
I don't, really; they take a while to make. I do have a version of this level here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15543016/lem/FIERY.LVL

although various aesthetic things are different about it, IIRC.

I'm a bit annoyed, because I know that it's technically possible to upload levels to the internet from my PS2 but I don't know how to connect the damn thing to the internet in the first place – it implied that I would need a special setup disk that I'd probably have to purchase or something. And creating levels is only really worth it if you can get other people to play them. (On that note, I haven't had any decent ideas in a while; the level I did make today, on a whim, is one of the few worthwhile ones, in that I was at least praised on here for it...)

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 04:09:36 PM »
I have that disc but didn't know how to use it or have enough motivation to get it to work, so I never played my PS2 online. Speaking of online, there's one thing that me and someone from Europe found out about the Lemmings online. You can't download someone's levels from a different country. It won't appear on the list.

This level was hard to replicate, because of that bone terrain at the beginning. I'm sure if the developers were to do it, it will look perfect and everything else will be lined up the same way.

Lemmings PSP: Take a little rest

Lemmings PSP: Catch more Floaters

Lemmings PSP: Lemmings in the attic

Lemmings PSP: Under Construction

Lemmings PSP Dark Dawn
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2011, 02:26:41 PM »
Come to think of it... has anyone ever done the other way around – taking a Special level from this version and transferring it to a DOS Lemmings custom level?

Also, while we have a topic open about it, does anyone else who's played this get a bit annoyed at how much help they give you in some of the levels, and even then manage to mess up? That's not the first time I've played Special 26 (Back of the net!) and stared in dumbfoundment at the level because I assumed that the two red markers which tell you exactly where to bash were actually metallic lattice segments that you couldn't bash through. Maybe I just really wanted to think that they'd done something innovative... but no, they tried to make a hard puzzle and had to put markers in so that the makers of the game could aim it more at children...

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2011, 04:40:35 PM »
You mean the special levels in the PSP versions? I only made 11 of them. The first ten are in the level database and "Down the line" is in my Lemmix file. I haven't gotten around on making the other 9 nine levels for the levelpak. The topic for that was here: http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?topic=560.0 I played the level just now and saw the red markers. I remember noticing that the red markers were a hint to the solution when I first beat it, but that was a long time ago. Either way, it is a let down that a level that is near the end will give you a hint on beating it.

I changed "Take a little rest" because I wasn't satisfied with it and not only that, the harder version "Temporary Peace" has a solution where you need to go up to the two terrains, so I replaced the big tree logs with the ground ones. What's cool about the remake version of Temporary Peace is that I included the backroute where you go under the steel to work. I can't make a video of it now because my RCA Modulator plug broke. I ordered a new one. Isn't it possible to E-Mail PSP game files?

Lemmings PSP: Temporary Peace
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2011, 12:15:05 AM »
Wow, very nicely done. 8) Under construction is practically indistinguishable from the original.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2011, 03:19:57 AM »
Yeah I like how Under Construction turned out. That curved stair wasn't easy though.

I forgot the thread is also about remaking other user's levels. I'll still be doing the other megadrive levels. I'm curious to see how Tricky 11 "Let's go to the moon" will look. I made one of Gronklems 5's levels, which is Restoration in Process. The only problem is that I didn't noticed the erased steel terrains there at the bottom, so I just put the indestructible wall where the steel is suppose to be over the yellow terrains. Other than that, the solution works pretty much the same way. Not an easy level, due to the timer.

One of namdia's levels in Lemmings Plus DOS Project - 02 - Mild (Part 2).

Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 10:26:40 PM »
For the "suicidal tendencies" remake, is there really no way to make the horizontal wooden planks perfectly centered relative to the water below (like they were in the original version)?

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2011, 12:42:11 AM »
I think that is possible. To be honest, I was judging where to put the horizontal wood based on where the Lemming will land when he stops building by looking at a Youtube video of the stage. I forgot Lemmix has ONML in the levels viewer. I could've used that to help me build it.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2011, 02:09:41 AM »
I think that is possible. To be honest, I was judging where to put the horizontal wood based on where the Lemming will land when he stops building by looking at a Youtube video of the stage.

Well, that's a good strategy. ;)  The point of that level is requiring you to build at the edge of the horizontal platforms to reach the next place.  Preserving the original solution concept is good.  It's just that it seems you should be able to reposition the various terrain and objects to better match the original layout, and thereby avoid the awkward-looking arrangement with the horizontal platforms off-center.  Of course, not having a PSP I can't say I know the limitations of the editor in that version.

Anyway, I don't particularly care for that level myself, I'm more curious whether it was an editor limitation or something else.  Please keep going with the remakes. ;)

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2011, 04:22:00 AM »
I finally got my RCA Modulator plug, so I can make videos of these again. Added videos in my other posts, like "Temporary Peace" and Dark "Dawn". I changed the "Take a little a rest" video.

Taxing 3: No Choice but to follow them.
Lemmings PSP: No choice but to follow them

To anyone that has played the Sega version, is it possible to reach the exit with only one builder near the exit? I mean at the lower terrain that comes after the one that is under the forth fire. The Lemming in my video will start building at the spot I'm talking about. Every video of this level I see in Youtube doesn't show the Lemmings building at that spot. They only show the Lemmngs building on the terrain that is under the fire.

Lemmings PSP: Where do you see Lemmings?
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2011, 09:17:43 AM »
To anyone that has played the Sega version, is it possible to reach the exit with only one builder near the exit? I mean at the lower terrain that comes after the one that is under the forth fire. The Lemming in my video will start building at the spot I'm talking about. Every video of this level I see in Youtube doesn't show the Lemmings building at that spot. They only show the Lemmngs building on the terrain that is under the fire.

Yes, it is possible on Sega with just one builder there.  Although you have to start building pretty much as soon as you drop down into the spot.  I think if you let the lemming walk for 2 or more pixels after dropping down before starting to build, then the bridge ends up connecting at the underside of the terrain instead of at its left side, and then the resulting height (6 pixels from terrain + 1 from the last bridge brick) is just too high to walk up.  Of course, one could've also just dig a little bit near the edge just before the drop, and then build.

(Beautiful job remaking that level btw.  The updated hell backgrounds on the PSP definitely jazz things up over the predominantly black and grey of the original.)

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2011, 11:11:02 PM »
Thanks, I just wanted to make sure it's right.

That curved pillar doesn't exist in the PSP, so I made one up.

Lemmings PSP: Keep Step

Mr. Lemmings PSP user.