Author Topic: Oh No! More Challenges!  (Read 111630 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Oh No! More Challenges!
« Reply #330 on: February 06, 2010, 12:06:05 AM »
Yawg is correct, this is not a case of the faller skipping over the overhang while falling, but the faller falling a little further away from the wall than logically expected.  I remember first seeing that trick in one of Martin Zulinder's (sp?) levels, way back from when there's still that vtm.hypermart website for CustLemm and LemEdit.

Based on the picture, it also means I.S. could've started mining one pixel further to the right (thus no overhang) and still have the same result (since lemming will still land on same step).  I think the most surprising thing is that the height is enough for splatting; it looks close enough that it might not even work in CustLemm mechanics (not tested though, just a guess).

Offline alfonz1986

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 12, 2010, 07:31:24 PM »
New fewer builders challenge for all u action junkies.

Mayhem 25 - 100% - 7 builders (Lemmix version)
I'm pretty sure the previous record was 8 builders.

I've only verified on lemmix thus far.

EDIT: There's actually two different solutions available!

Offline alfonz1986

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 13, 2010, 06:01:54 PM »
Got one more too on Mayhem 25:

7 builders - no floaters - LOSE 1 (98%)

EDIT: Just confirmed lose 1.  :)

Replay available if ur interested.

Offline alfonz1986

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 13, 2010, 09:56:14 PM »
After a few more hours of suffering (thank god for replays, I only just started using them) I've finally achieved a 6 builder floaterless solution to Mayhem 25.  8)

Previous 7 builder challenge still stands.

So,  Mayhem 25 - 6 builders - no floaters.

I personally hit 90% on the dot after many many tries. I seriously doubt the number of builders can be reduced any further than this.

Good luck and I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

EDIT: As it turns out, I can improve this using an entirely different method to:

Mayhem 25 - 6 builders - no climbers/floaters/miners - LOSE 7 (91%) 

Offline alfonz1986

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 21, 2010, 11:55:31 PM »
I came up with another challenge.

Its a little easier than my Mayhem 25 challenges but quite silly and good fun  :thumbsup:

Taxing 11 - Don't make contact with any of the ascending pillars except the one below the portal

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 23, 2010, 12:38:59 AM »
That was a fun one  8)
Finally released my 6th level pack! Ten levels intended to push you quite a bit beyond the expectations of Mayhem/Havoc; check 'em out and let me know what you think!

http://camanis.net/lemmings/levelpacks.php?info&pack=174

Offline alfonz1986

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 01, 2010, 01:52:18 AM »
Slight improvement on ccexplore's Tricky 13 3 builder challenge.

Another steel destruction glitch!

Tricky 13 - 100% - 3 builders

Offline alfonz1986

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 23, 2010, 12:27:33 AM »
I think it's been long enough for any of u to ponder my Mayhem 25 challenges.

Here's my personal records:

:)

If u can improve on any of them I'd enjoy hearing about it.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #338 on: March 23, 2010, 06:57:39 PM »
I've enjoyed watching your replays, and you've found some intriguing new ways. Keep them coming! Don't be turned off in case you don't get that many answers. I tried the challenges and didn't succeed, so I wanted other people to respond first.

-- Simon

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 23, 2010, 07:52:04 PM »
I'll take a look at this later, although I think like a few others here, we may have a case of exhaustion with doing challenges on the original Lemmings games (Lemmings 1 and ONML), and I think attention shifted away from this especially with multiplayer L++.

My mind's currently still more hooked on the Lemmings 2 stuff, but once that wears off, I'll take a look at this.  Sounds like pretty good work though, so congrats! :thumbsup:

Offline alfonz1986

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 24, 2010, 02:00:18 AM »
Another mini-challenge if u will that shouldn't be too difficult if you've seen my Mayhem 25 replays:

I improved the 7 builder - Floaterless - Lose 1 challenge to floaterless & climberless!

Not too hard now  :)

Although it is somewhat of a shame cos I thought reducing the splat height with a bridge was quite a novel method of getting rid of the floater. Turns out its obsolete!!

EDIT: Alternatively u can use an additional builder to do an 8 builder - floaterless/climberless - 100% solution.
Note: The previous record for the level (according to caminis) was 8 builder 100% with climbers & floaters.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 24, 2010, 09:13:35 AM »
This is my solution to your earlier version of the 6 builder, floaterless challenge. I see you managed to save the blocker at left by conserving the terrain removal skills at the right to eventually improve it to lose 7.

I almost got a 5 builder, floaterless solution, but alas, it loses 10 lemmings, both off by only 1 or two pixels. If you could move the starting steel block down by 2 pixels, and the entire starting island to the right by 1 pixel, it'd work.

I especially like your 100% solutions; I never thought of using the basher to free the blockers; also the way you free the blocker in the second solution releasing the crowd at the same time is pretty nifty.

Yes, using your 7 builder, floaterless, lose 1 solution as a base, your two mini-challenges are only slight variations of it.

The terrain of this level and the skillset seem to allow for a lot of variation, and it's nice how you've come up with so many solution ideas for this level.   :thumbsup:

Offline alfonz1986

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 24, 2010, 01:20:47 PM »
Good job geoo,  :thumbsup:

I think u were the only person to respond having managed to complete one of them! Your replay is yet another variation of the 6 builder floaterless solution! I assumed u had found my original Lose 8 solution, which is actually far more cumbersome to achieve than your solution even with replays. Timing had to be absolutely perfect to free the final blocker with a tightly packed crowd! I didn't bother to upload before since I found the easier to execute Lose 7, but I will now:

Offline alfonz1986

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 24, 2010, 07:01:16 PM »
I was working on the 6 builder floaterless today, attempting either to lose fewer lemmings or reduce a builder and came across a crazy steel destruction glitch. Unfortunately its unsaveable in Lemmix so I had to screenshot it:

Its very difficult to pull off! It occurs when u trap a lemming in the steel with a blocker and then dig down while pausing at the same time. Sort of like the Taxing 10 miner trick to gain height on a wall. If done correctly the digger instantly removes about 3 pixels and stops dead. Then theres just enough room to bash through the remaining steel, so ur able to save a builder & miner using the glitch. It only happens occasionally and of course if u do execute it, any mistakes further on in the level are fatal cos u can't reload!!

Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be that useful to me yet since I was only able to theoretically achieve a 7 builder - Climberless/Floaterless/Minerless - Lose 2 solution. 1 more loss than my previous but I did cut out the miner which is something I guess..

EDIT: I can't get the damned image to paste into this thing!!  :evil:

So this leads to a new super-challenge of 7 builders - No climbers/floaters/miners - Lose 2!

EDIT2: Forget my comment about pausing its irrelevant to the glitch. It seems the glitch has the best chance of success when u put the cursor half on the blocker half on the walker and dig. It then removes 3 pixels in one frame and stops dead. The leftover steel on the right can be bashed at the final pixel before the wall.

Offline alfonz1986

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 24, 2010, 11:25:43 PM »
Sometimes I surprise myself, today I hit the jackpot in Mayhem 25 Madness!!

I absolutely smashed my own record and made a new uber-challenge:

Mayhem 25 - 6 builders - no floaters - LOSE 2!!

Ponder that one at your own peril!  :scared: