Author Topic: Dosbox Sound Glitch  (Read 3262 times)

Offline TomorrowPerfume

• View Profile
Dosbox Sound Glitch
« on: July 18, 2009, 05:35:21 AM »
In most levels on both original Lemmings games, the songs sound like they originally did on the old PC. However, some levels, most noticeably "Snuggle Up To a Lemming", some of the sounds are messed up. Most of the song is fine, but the high notes of the chorus sound out of tune. It's a shame really because that's my favourite of the Lemmings songs. Has a nice bridge and more personality than the other ONML songs, and I like 80's rock. Is it a problem with the file itself or with DosBox?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Dosbox Sound Glitch
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 01:28:12 PM »
I just compared that music in DOSBox v0.70 and v0.73 and heard a difference.  That bell sound in v0.73 is much more in tune compare with v0.70.  Time for you to update your version of DOSBox.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 09:48:01 PM »
I wonder if it would help if I try running 0.73 under WINE?  I mentioned in another thread that my Linux distribution doesn't have a 0.73 release yet.  However, I have been installing extra desktop environments to Ubuntu left and right, so that might be a way to get a 0.73 as well.  I have this same problem in 0.72.

I got really annoyed playing Holiday lemmings with this glitch.

Offline TomorrowPerfume

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 12:15:42 AM »
Thanks! I'll try that!

Edit: The bell sound is a little different now, but still rather out of tune. Hopefully the next few versions of DOSBox will work on that because it's quite painful to have a favourite song ruined by the emulator.

I just compared that music in DOSBox v0.70 and v0.73 and heard a difference.  That bell sound in v0.73 is much more in tune compare with v0.70.  Time for you to update your version of DOSBox.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 01:50:58 AM »
Okay, I have good news.  I found a way to configure DOSBox to get rid of the problem you're having.

First, exit DOSBox if it's running.

Now, in the Windows Start Menu where you have DOSBox v0.73, select "Configuration" and then "Edit Configuration".  Notepad should pop up with DOSBox's configuration file (dosbox-0.73.conf)

Go to the "[mixer]" section and change the value of "rate" to 49716:

Code: [Select]
rate=49716
Then go to the "[sblaster]" section and change the value of "oplrate" to 49716 as well:

oplrate=49716
Now save the changes and close the window, and run DOSBox again.  You should find that the instrument you're complaining about is finally in perfect pitch.

I believe 49716 is the correct frequency at which the Adlib chipset operates on.  The default in DOSBox was set to a lower 22050 probably for performance reasons that no longer matters in today's superfast CPUs.  The lower frequency probably causes aliasing effects that distorts high-frequency components of the audio from adlib, which is probably why it only affects that particular sound.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 03:01:50 AM »
Heh, that should help everyone who uses DOSbox.  I'll try that if I find farther problems with sound.

Offline TomorrowPerfume

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 05:44:20 AM »
Thanks for the help. I've still got problems with that sound, though hopefully I can find a way to get those pesky notes to sound right. Also I've tried to find a good place to download the entire "Snuggle Up to a Lemming" song - including the part most people miss if they just finish the level really quickly.

Edit: Wait wait I think I found the problem... edited the wrong lines. Let's see if this works now...

Edit II: SUCCESS! Ooh man it's in tune now! Thank you ccexplore!

Okay, I have good news.  I found a way to configure DOSBox to get rid of the problem you're having.

First, exit DOSBox if it's running.

Now, in the Windows Start Menu where you have DOSBox v0.73, select "Configuration" and then "Edit Configuration".  Notepad should pop up with DOSBox's configuration file (dosbox-0.73.conf)

Go to the "[mixer]" section and change the value of "rate" to 49716:

rate=49716
Then go to the "[sblaster]" section and change the value of "oplrate" to 49716 as well:

oplrate=49716
Now save the changes and close the window, and run DOSBox again.  You should find that the instrument you're complaining about is finally in perfect pitch.

I believe 49716 is the correct frequency at which the Adlib chipset operates on.  The default in DOSBox was set to a lower 22050 probably for performance reasons that no longer matters in today's superfast CPUs.  The lower frequency probably causes aliasing effects that distorts high-frequency components of the audio from adlib, which is probably why it only affects that particular sound.