Author Topic: Which levels did you find difficult when you first started Lemmings?  (Read 5940 times)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
Re: Which levels did you find difficult when you first started Lemmings?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2014, 01:51:15 AM »
The only one I remember finding problematic back in the day was the Game Gear (and, consequently, Master System, since the two versions are closely related) version of Easy When You Know How... When I figured out the solution, I laughed to myself, finding the title accurate. What you ultimately need to do is bash through the floor at the bottom, so that the presses don't trigger and squash the lemmings.

Ironically, I learned many years later that this is not the solution used in any other version of the game. Easy when you know how, indeed - turns out that you don't know how when you play it in any other version. :D

I'll have to take a look at that one of these days.  So you're saying in that version, Easy When You Know How isn't just a 20-of-every-skill level that's typical of Fun? :o Really curious why the straightforward solutions in "normal" versions of the game doesn't work there.
They might very well work, but the easiest solution, and the one I always assumed to be the intended one for that particular pair of conversions because it really is easy when you know how, is the one that I described.

I just found it amusing how that one level that stumped me back in the day inadvertently ended up stumping me twice as a result of that. :D

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2014, 07:15:58 AM »
When I was a kid in the '90s, my dad and I were both progressing through the game at our own separate paces.  He was always about a rating ahead of me, so if I ever got stuck, I could go to him for help.  :P

There were a few exceptions to this, though.  One of my dad's first major roadblocks was Taxing 11.  I don't think he ever beat that one, because I took a look at it one day while he was at work, and beat it quite easily!  I still had Tricky 7 fresh on my mind at the time, and the only significant difference was that the standard 2-blocker crowd control wasn't an option on Taxing 11.  It didn't take me long to realize that a digger pit was the only way to keep the crowd from going over the edge, and once that obstacle was taken care of, the rest of the level could be beaten the same way as Tricky 7.

A few other ones we struggled with were Tricky 19, Taxing 4, Mayhem 7, and Mayhem 28.  Taxing 4 was unique in that my dad and I each came up with completely different solutions.  He went up the traps route it took him a number of tries before he saved enough to pass the level.  I, despising traps in general, discovered the outside route, avoiding the traps altogether.

Zaphod77

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2014, 10:33:41 PM »
Mayhem 29. Oh gods, Mayhem 29.

Not too hard to figure out, but incredibly difficult execution. the ending part was pure evil. one pixel precision multiple times in a row.  Of course Lemmix makes it much easier.  I had to cheat past that one on DOS back in the day. I could never get that perfectly timed click twice in a row.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2014, 07:49:40 PM »
Ah yes, I remember that one too whilst trying to solve every level. May I also mention that there's a lot of walking during the middle part of the level, and right at the end, you mentioned a lot of pixel precision, but it's even more evil than this: I tried using a blocker on that middle platform without realising to my shock horror that the lemmings would get past it and fall to their deaths. It's one level that I didn't want to see again back then...

Another annoying precision level that I forgot to mention is Mayhem 20. That second miner to rescue the lemming below really just takes a lot of luck. At least it's quite a short level.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3