Author Topic: Officially-licensed Lemmings comic series from 1994  (Read 1945 times)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
Officially-licensed Lemmings comic series from 1994
« on: October 03, 2012, 05:30:54 AM »
Long, long ago, in the Spring of 1994 or so at a guess, Prob Lem bought herself a video game-themed comic book from Forbidden Planet (back when Forbidden Planet was a neat store to find imports and unusual things, as opposed to its current state of simply selling pop-culture-related merchandise at a ridiculously high mark-up over other retailers), which had a Lemmings comic in it.

Years passed, and I forgot what the title of it was - just that it had comic pages featuring Lemmings, and Toejam & Earl. It drove me nuts for a very long time thereafter.

A short time ago, my boyfriend used his remarkable Google-Fu to figure out what it was called, after my own Google-Fu had completely failed me. The comic was called "Max Overload!", and, though British-made, it was published by Dark Horse, which struck me as a bit unusual. Some scans from the first issue - and specifically, brilliantly, of the Lemmings comic from the first issue - can be found here, on someone's blog. It's well worth a look, as it's humourous and has some nice artwork that, to my knowledge, has never been published anywhere else.

According to the account at the blog above, Max Overload! never made it past its second issue. Funnily enough, I was only ever able to find the second issue, and always wondered what I had missed with regard to the Lemmings strip, as the second issue's installment made it appear as though it was connected to the first, when it turns out that it really wasn't. To fill in the gap left by the blog entry, the second Lemmings story focussed on lemmings in Roman times, taking part in gladiatorial events and suchlike. :P

Anyway, I just thought that I'd post this, as I couldn't find any other mentions of it on the forum, and it's obscure enough that perhaps it's not very well-known to most people. Enjoy the scans! :)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Officially-licensed Lemmings comic series from 1994
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 09:34:57 PM »
thanks for the post! That was a fun read. :D
I wish people made more official comics of games like Lemmings, Mario, Zelda and others.

Some people including myself made a few simple comics of our own on this forum a while ago. That was fun.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 10:13:44 PM »
Hi!

Good find. The comic has actually been posted in Mike Dailly's picture collection before, but we never discussed it in the forum, and it doesn't seem to be talked about on the net much either.

The images seem to be the same as from the linked blog, so the second part is still not on the net. Do you own that second part on paper?

-- Simon

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 12:16:40 AM »
Do you own that second part on paper?
I'm really sorry to say that I don't anymore - at that age (I was about ten years old at the time), I wasn't in the habit of keeping paper ephemera around for too long. :( Now I finally know the name of the magazine again, though, I'll be keeping an eye out for a copy.

Incidentally, I didn't know about Mike Dailly's picture collection, so thanks very much for the link to that! :)