Author Topic: Omg, it is so hot...  (Read 11293 times)

Mr Kiwi

Omg, it is so hot...
« on: June 04, 2009, 12:26:05 AM »
I am not one to complain, but this summer without air conditioning; living on the second story and having the sun directly hitting my house is awful.

End.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Re: Omg, it is so hot...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 05:03:07 AM »
Ouch.  Why is there a summer without air conditioning, I ask?

I can't wait for my summer to start.  I'm getting ready with LEMMINGS!

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 04:12:53 PM »
I lived in Oregon for a couple of years, and most people there didn't have air conditioning at all because it usually wasn't needed...

...Until that one week in summer when it got to 100 degrees (~38 Celsius) and everyone was burning up.  Ouch.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 06:33:09 PM »
Oh my gosh.  And to think that Oregon's latitude isn't that much different than Indiana's, they shouldn't be colder than us.  We're used to having air conditioning when the worst we get is generally 80's, with 90's in worst cases.  Very rarely it reaches 100 degrees.

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 04:33:36 AM »
The key difference between Oregon and Indiana is that Oregon is right next to the Pacific Ocean.  The cold Pacific water moderates the temperatures in the summer, keeping them in the 70s and 80s (20s Celsius).  The climate there is actually very similar to that in the U.K.

The only time it really gets hot in the western part of Oregon is when the winds bring in hot air from the desert.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 05:14:15 AM »
From where I live in Indiana, we're near Lake Michigan.

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 06:58:18 AM »
I live in Washington, and moved here at the end of last year from Illinois, so I consider myself informed!

Lake Michigan is massive, and very cold considering. The whole "being close to water makes it colder" dealie being the reason the climate is different in Indiana than Oregon... well, simply doesn't hold water. As for the moisture in the atomosphere, however, that certainly makes a difference. Lake Michigan may be big, but it's not so big that the lake effect makes a good chunk of land to the east of it cloudy all the time like the Pacific Ocean does to the northwest.

There's also the fact that the jet stream, which pretty much enters the continent right between Washington and British Columbia, comes back down right through the top of Illinois, then under most of Indiana before heading back north. This brings with it the colder, dryer air from Canada, which in the summer is generally offset by high inland temperatures that sap all the moisture off the ground and make it humid all the time without raining. It's not uncommon to have humidity near 100% for most of a day, get some heavy rain, then have the process happen all over again when the rain evaporates.

All things considered, I'll gladly stay here in Washington. The clouds took a break last week, but they're back and all is well.

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 09:11:03 AM »
Okay, I'll admit I left out some details in interest of keeping my post brief.  Elaborating on my explanation:

If you look at satellite imagery of the eastern Pacific Ocean in the summer, you will often notice a huge blanket of low clouds covering much of the region.  These clouds form because the cold water creates a cool, moist layer of air immediately above the surface.  Typically, the winds in Washington and Oregon are from the west, which brings in the cool, moist, and often cloudy conditions from the Pacific.  This keeps the temperatures low in the summer.  When the winds shift, the marine air is pushed back out to sea, and Washington and Oregon become much warmer.  (Note that this only pertains to the summer months; in winter, the marine air helps keep the climate warmer, which is why snow is relatively rare except in the mountains.)

As GuyPerfect said in his post, Lake Michigan is much smaller than the Pacific Ocean, so the water has much less of an impact on the weather.  But it still does have some effects -- anyone who has experienced a lake-effect snowstorm knows that!

Offline Adam

• Just one more level....
    • View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 04:47:52 PM »
The UK's gonna get hot over the next week. We're in for a heatwave with temperatures getting above 30

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 06:24:34 PM »
Here in Florida we had a heat wave about a week ago with temperatures over 100 F (38 C) for seven straight days.  It's cooled off a bit since then, and I can't remember the last time 95 felt so good!  ;P

Although yesterday as I was driving home from work, it was bright and sunny, 90 degrees, and pouring down rain all at the same time.  Afterwards it felt like a sauna outside.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 03:29:26 AM »
36C here in Christchurch today. I can't remember the last time it was this hot! Thankfully this looks like a one-off, since we're expecting a cool wind change tomorrow. 8)
Also, thread necromancy FTW!

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 06:23:04 AM »
Its hot where you are but its freezing where i am

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 11:24:12 AM »
36C here in Christchurch today. I can't remember the last time it was this hot!

Ha.  I think my friends over in the east coast of USA would gladly trade your heat wave for the twice-every-week snows they've been having throughout this winter...... ;)

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 07:23:21 AM »
Sure enough, it was cool and rainy today. Huzzah! :D

Apparently it got to 39C one day last year, and I have no recollection whatsoever. Must've slept through it or something :-\

Offline Lemmy556

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 06:41:22 PM »
There is always hot in sauna   :XD:

Offline Adam

• Just one more level....
    • View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 05:39:26 PM »
We've had unseasonably warm Februaries for ages now.. we got up to 20C last year, and we're warming up and could potentially have that again this year!

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 05:44:58 PM »
Yea, living in Indiana it's usually cold in the middle of February but today it's something like 65 out (18 C or so). And yet, there's still somehow snow on the ground.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 02:03:20 AM »
wow, seems like Clam Spammer has much more ridiculous weather-related issues than heat today  :XD:
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 02:34:38 AM »
Wow, that does sound serious.  :( Hope Clam's okay.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 08:08:32 AM »
Outlook for Tuesday: cloudy with a chance of earthquakes. :-\ And I was just about to mention how I was going back to university and might not have time for Lemmings. I may yet get an extended summer break...

Once again, I'm ok; thankfully my part of town is on solid ground, unlike half the suburbs over the other side of town. But still, I'm a nervous wreck at the best of times, and this isn't helping matters :(