Author Topic: Oh No! More Lemmings - Level Reviews  (Read 52014 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Oh No! More Lemmings - Level Reviews
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2009, 12:07:25 AM »
Thanks for the pics :) I've added them to all my reviews now.

Crazy 14 - Time waits for no lemming

50 lemmings
Save 90% (45)
Release rate 1
4 minutes

1 climber, 10 floaters, 2 blockers, 4 builders, 2 bashers, 1 digger

Good: Very nice puzzle, solution is memorable and not immediately obvious, about the right difficulty for Crazy. Having to avoid too many lemmings splat (which can be done in a variety of ways, even without the floaters) adds spice.
Bad: The title, while an excellent twist on a familiar proverb, is very poorly suited to this level and would have gone much better with any one of a number of other levels -- incidentally including Crazy 17, whose title would have gone better with this level :)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2009, 05:41:01 AM »
Crazy 15 - Worra load of old blocks!

Lemmings: 50
Save: 44 (88%)
Release rate: 1
Time: 3 minutes
Skills: 1 climber, 1 bomber, 6 builders, 3 diggers

Good: Tricky little puzzle, since you have to scramble to keep the lemmings alive while leaving enough builders to complete the level.

Bad: What's worse than hidden traps? Stacked hidden traps. I mean, sure, they don't want you to go that way (and you still can, at any rate ;)), but it's a tad cruel that the level lets you build over one trap but not the second. And what's up with the stacked trapdoors and stacked water? Plus steel is overused, and build-out-and-dig backroutes are very easy...

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2009, 12:22:55 PM »
Crazy 15 - Worra load of old blocks!

Good: Tricky little puzzle, since you have to scramble to keep the lemmings alive while leaving enough builders to complete the level.

I would also like to add that I think the name of this level is genius. It's almost certainly a spin on the phrase "What a load of old b*****ks" :D
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline danparker

• View Profile
    • danparker studios
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2009, 04:33:11 AM »
I remembered playing Oh No! More Lemmings a long time ago. And I loved the musics in it. And The levels are very unique. If only all the other games had those level names. However, I've lost my handbook which had all the codes to enter into the DOS version and it probably doesn't play music and sounds anymore.

Offline DoubleU

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2010, 03:45:09 AM »
It's one basher [i.e. on Tame 16] and no other terrain-destruction skills, but you can use the other skills. The challenge was originally proposed with no save requirement, but 100% is attainable.
Is that a one-basher minimum or maximum?  Because I think I can do it with NO bashers.

Offline DoubleU

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2010, 03:52:28 AM »
Yup, I well remember it taking me a very long time to figure that one out, though it looks so simple when you know the trick. A level that long remains in the memory. (Though I would rank the one I'm about to review as being up there with this and Level 10 as well.)

Crazy 8 - KEEP ON TRUCKING

80 lemmings
Save 93% (75)
Release rate 1
4 minutes

1 bomber, 4 blockers, 7 builders, 3 bashers, 3 miners, 1 digger

Good: Interesting and intimidating terrain that makes you consider different approaches and how to make the best use of your small complement of builders.
Bad: The impossibility of the lower route is a bit too obvious (though it's all too likely that were it not so, the designers would have inadvertently left in a backroute using that way :P ) and, again, too hard for its position.
They "would have"?  But there IS a backroute to that level; it's the direct-but-painful way, and it saves all but two.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2010, 04:21:57 PM »
Bump, haven't done this for a while, so I'll keep it going.

Crazy 16 - Across The Gap

Lemmings: 16
Save: 16 (100%)
Skills: 3 climbers, 16 floaters, 3 bombers, 16 blockers, 3 builders, 16 bashers, 3 miners, 16 diggers.

Good: Good relative name for a level.
Bad: Why would you need the 3 bombers and 16 blockers to save 100%? Terrain use is bland. Not much in this level at all.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2010, 10:58:43 PM »
Why would you need the 3 bombers and 16 blockers to save 100%?

Those just to complete the pattern of "3 of this, 16 of that". Why they chose that pattern in the first place is another matter entirely...

This reminds me, I sent all the level pictures some time ago and they never got uploaded. I should try to get those put up so we can keep doing reviews past the end of Crazy (which is all we have pics for right now).

Crazy 17 - DIGGING FOR VICTORY

Save: 49 (98%)
Skills: 1 bomber, 1 blocker, 4 builders, 2 bashers, 3 diggers

Good: Forces you to think about efficient use of skills. The ceiling route is a fun challenge.
Bad: Quite a lot of needless walking, plus the time limit makes for some frustrating retries.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2010, 09:23:01 AM »
Crazy 18 - NO PROBLEM

Save: 45 (90%)
Release rate: 10
Skills: 2 climbers, 2 bombers, 1 blocker, 4 builders, 2 bashers, 2 miners

Good: Challenging puzzle which forces you to use your skills wisely, Time limit is tight. Great scenery.
Bad: Again, quite a lot of walking, especially at the end of the level.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2010, 09:08:49 PM »
Seems Adam isn't around any more to upload the rest of the level pics. I may have to ask someone else...

Crazy 19 - DON`T PANIC

Save: 45 (90%)
Release rate: 5
Skills: 1 climber, 1 floater, 3 bombers, 4 blocker, 6 builders, 1 basher, 1 digger

Good: Several different routes through the level, but each way requires care to avoid losing too many lemmings. Good decoration and not much wasted space.

Bad: Somewhat too easy (maybe a bit of a backroute?) to dig and bash to the exit after crossing the water. All-caps titles are getting tiresome by now - though at least this one is a clever reference to something :)

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2010, 06:57:15 AM »
Well, a whole year on from when we should have had pics...

WE HAVE PICS!!!

Now we can finally go on and review the rest of ONML!

:party:

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2010, 02:38:17 AM »
Crazy 20 - Ice Ice Lemming

Lemmings: 20
Save: 10 (50%)
Time: 4 minutes
Skills: 9 bombers, 15 blockers, 26 builders, 10 bashers

Good: A fun builder level without being overly tedious. Good use of floating steel platforms, which are rarely seen in the snow style.

Bad: Some of the skill counts are strange (15 blockers, really?!) 50% requirement means you can ignore the left side completely, which is good for challenges but makes the level a little too easy.

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2010, 01:08:37 AM »
I'll do the honors of starting Wild

Wild 1 - PoP YoR ToP!!!

Release Rate:5
Skills: Bombers & Bulders:5, Bashers:1, Miners:2.
Time:4 Minutes
Good:A great way to use "YoR"(:D) Bombers
Bad:A bit Complicated don't you think

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2010, 04:46:06 AM »
Hey, we have another willing reviewer at last! :) Just need to check the skills though (30 bombers, 10 builders, 1 basher, 2 miners), and also the number of lemmings (60 lemmings, 53 to be saved, 88%).

Wild 2 - Lemming Hotel

Lemmings: 80
Save: 60 (75%)
Time: 4 minutes
Skills: 6 climbers, 5 floaters, 11 bombers, 4 blockers, 9 builders, 8 bashers, 6 miners, 5 diggers

Good: Having a good number of every skill gives you some room to play around and try things out, though maybe this is a bit far through the levelset for that... Builders do need to be used wisely though.

Bad: Just another hero level, and a fairly long one at that. The fall from the first platform might seem a bit dangerous unless you take a close look. One-pixel gaps, especially the last one next to the steel, are a pain.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2010, 02:33:43 AM »
Wild 3 - Lemming Rhythms

Number of lemmings: 80
To be saved: 81%
RR: 1
Skillset: 0|1|0|4|8|4|2|6

Good: A somewhat tricky builder conservation puzzle. The save percent allows for a margin of error but you can't be wasteful. Also, there's the builders only ceiling route which is pretty neat.
Bad: A bit personal, but this was a MAJOR stumbling block for me in the Wild set as a kid (this and 11). I didn't have the patience to do the proper builder timing after the digging in the "normal" route. Also it is a bit direct and semi-obvious WHAT you have to do in that route, just pulling it off is obnoxious. I don't like those levels nearly as much as the "solution is hard, execution is trivial" ones.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano