Author Topic: Lix Community Level Set  (Read 169193 times)

Offline Nortaneous

• View Profile
Re: Lix Community Level Set
« Reply #285 on: February 22, 2012, 03:36:09 PM »
Well, that backroute was a bit painful. Here's stickup v2.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 22, 2012, 04:35:56 PM »
On the first page of this thread, there was some inconclusive discussion of whether we should remake levels of authors who are no longer on the forums. This discussion seemed to run dry after the decision was made to invite me back -- well, I'm very glad you did :) and there's no doubt we'll have plenty of levels for the project now; but I'm sure we each have a few favourites of other authors we'd like to see included. I don't know what will be decided about such levels, but just for fun I've remade Isu's "Cry for me" anyway, since the layout is nice and simple. Assigning so many climbers can be a little tiresome, so I've cut down the number of lemmings to 55 (from 80) and climbers to 45 (from 62).

EDIT: Solution to the revised Stick-up.

EDIT: Solution to Changing of the Guards 2. Inelegant, but it uses the central ball.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 22, 2012, 08:33:58 PM »
I have to work on Torture Chamber, found another back-route myself. Proxima's was also a backroute.

As For Four lemmings and a funeral I'm thinking about instead redoing Pieuw's remake of that level which is a little different, a little harder.

I also feel I should change the name of 'The Last Laugh' to Pieuw's real name for it; "There's Rashness in the method". See what you think.

EDIT: here's version 3. Unfortunately the things I had to do made it a little more annoying to execute. Even if nobody likes this level, I want to know how easy or difficult it is to spot the trick.
I also added another Pieuw remake, I held back from uploading this one because we already had some like it.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Nortaneous

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 22, 2012, 09:26:35 PM »
Should've seen that one coming. Stickup v3.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 23, 2012, 12:56:04 AM »
Solved Torture Chamber, replay was recorded with version 2, but still works with version 3.

Erbalunga: two different solutions here; if the time limit is supposed to eliminate either of these, it failed, it just required for some annoying retries.

Stickup: Solution to version 3, saves 28, so probably a backroute.

Changing of the Guards 2: I went with making the distance between the ball and the floor higher instead of reducing the skillset just yet. Deviates from the design of the original some more now, but oh well. New version attached.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 23, 2012, 01:53:21 AM »
Chasm had a couple more things with it, and the new solution is a tad different and I think a fair bit more difficult.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Nortaneous

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 23, 2012, 04:02:22 AM »
The time limit for Erbalunga is definitely annoying. My solution varies seemingly at random between making it with a few seconds to spare and leaving lemmings behind.

The trick for Changing of the Guards 2 is pretty clever.

edit: Stickup v4. I'm going to make diagonal lasers once it's not past when I should be asleep, so just imagine they're along the diagonal planks (which I'm also going to make tomorrow) for now, connecting the lasers that are there.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 23, 2012, 12:24:37 PM »
It dawned on me that my intended solution for Brickout utilizes a move that might possibly be argued as borderline glitchy.  However, it is possible to achieve the same outcome with (I think) less controversy, by just the addition of one skill.  Of course, past track record would indicate that even adding one skill will prove problematic backroute-wise, and this is a pretty problematic skill.  [edit: well what do you know?  see C2 please] Anyhow, presenting Brickout C1. :-\

The old, possibly controversial moves still work in C just as in B.  I simply open up a hopefully less controversial arrangement of moves in C to achieve exact same outcome.  The old moves in fact are probably easier to execute than the new.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 23, 2012, 12:59:38 PM »
so, no one has found your intended solution to Brickout after all this time?  :o

Incidentally, it’s looking like I may to be doing the same thing with my level. Geoo’s and Proxima’s were all good solutions but still not the intended one. I’m also not totally happy with the look of the level, something just isn’t quite right but idk yet. And I’m not happy with what you need to do near the beginning. But I’ll wait to make more adjustments until I see more backroutes.  :XD:
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 23, 2012, 03:19:28 PM »
I knew the digger-turning-on-steel behaviour would be backroute hell. Here you go.

The Last Laugh is a much better title, you should keep it.

Also attached, solution to the Ring of Fnargl. I think one reason it took me so long is that I'm so opposed to the aforementioned behaviour, I actually forget to take advantage of it when I should (except when it's really blatant that that's what you have to do, as on Clam Spammer's Turnaround Compendium). The other is that the level has a very frustrating red herring that took many attempts before I decided Lix mechanics simply don't permit it, namely timing a fling-exploder so as to make the climber "bounce" from the left wall to the right wall.

Haven't had time to solve Stick-up 4 yet (there are just too many levels coming out, and and I don't know how I'm supposed to have time to build my own....) but the visual effect of the lasers under the platforms is awesome!  :thumbsup:

Offline Nortaneous

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 23, 2012, 04:02:58 PM »
Backrouted. I'm not sure if that's still possible in this version; all I know is that I can't pull it off.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 23, 2012, 10:03:43 PM »
I knew the digger-turning-on-steel behaviour would be backroute hell. Here you go.

Also attached, solution to the Ring of Fnargl. I think one reason it took me so long is that I'm so opposed to the aforementioned behaviour, I actually forget to take advantage of it when I should (except when it's really blatant that that's what you have to do, as on Clam Spammer's Turnaround Compendium).

:XD: (slaps forehead) on both what I did on my level and Fing of Fnargl.

I even added those steel peices just for decoration while I was doing the other stuff. Well, here it is, I'm going to start using sub-section names like ccexplore. I actually solved it again just now and It's not really as annoying as I thought, maybe it's because I'm getting some practice. This involves no glitch, just reassuring you all. Of course, I don't expect the back-routes to be over.

Also, how many level of each types of terrain are there right now? In other words, what kind of level is lacking? I might make a level with dirt, ice or goldmine. I wouldn't want it to be like OL and have very few crystal terrain levels so if anybody cares about that, tell me which to choose.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 23, 2012, 10:38:23 PM »
Brickout C1: You wisely put C1 instead of just C, and I keep reading Brickroute...yeah.

Torture Chamber: somewhat different solution, attached.

Fnargl: I'm surprised you fixed it only now, as my solution pretty much resembled Proxima's iirc. Anyway, new solution.

Stickup: Completely different solution this time.

I actually quite like the way you solved Changing of the Guards 2. I might keep it in, but here's a new version anyway so you can try to find what I intended (and then perhaps tell your opinion which version you like better).

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 23, 2012, 10:44:04 PM »
Also, how many level of each types of terrain are there right now? In other words, what kind of level is lacking? I might make a level with dirt, ice or goldmine. I wouldn't want it to be like OL and have very few crystal terrain levels so if anybody cares about that, tell me which to choose.

Thing is, the terrain sets are not "equal" in the first place. Sets with many straight-edge pieces are much easier to work with than irregular sets like Earth, Winter etc. And the sets are not equally aesthetically pleasing, though I'm sure we will all have different preferences there. The real reason the lack of crystal levels in Lemmings stands out is that it's a gorgeous set and should have been used more.

I'd say the sets that need more love are Oriental and Tapir. RubiX has used Oriental, but so far there isn't a single level in this topic using it. The only Tapir levels are Get Hype and its easier version.

Other sets that haven't been used very much yet are Sand, Carnival, Shadow, and all of Simon's sets; but to be honest, I can see why. Shadow is nice, but has very few pieces. Simon's sets (except Tapir) pretty much duplicate the styles of Matt's sets, but Matt's sets are quite a bit better. Carnival is redundant with Brick and Marble, which look much nicer.

Offline Nortaneous

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 23, 2012, 11:03:30 PM »
Construction: 22
* Construction (brick): 13
* Construction (concrete): 6
Sandstone: 18
Earth: 12
Marble: 12
Bricks: 11
Abstract: 10
Goldmine: 9
Underworld: 6
Shadow: 5
Tapir: 5
Winter: 5
Carnival: 3
Sand: 1
Other themes haven't been used. Some levels are counted twice, since they use more than one theme substantially.

Data:
100% Built by Lixes: construction (brick)
100 Ways to Die: construction (concrete)
3.1.1.1: sandstone
Alien Invasion: carnival, earth
A long, long way to fall: goldmine
A Matter of Perspective: bricks
Another Lix in the Wall: construction (brick)
A Towering Proposition: construction (brick)
Babylon Fading: tapir
Behind Bars: marble, goldmine
Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo: goldmine
Bridges Burning: underworld
Bulldozer: construction (brick)
Buridan's Lix: marble, earth
Buy one get one free: carnival
Changing of the Guards: marble, winter
Charge of the Lix Brigade: sandstone
Chasm: abstract (mostly steel)
Close to the Edge: goldmine
Come on down to my place: underworld, brick
Compression Method 2: marble
Conundrum: underworld
Dances With Lixes: marble, sand
Decompression Method: construction (concrete)
Diggin' The Air: marble, earth
Dividing Three By Two: construction, sandstone
Down Among The Dead Lix: sandstone
Downpour: abstract
Elixir: marble
Escape the Pit: construction (brick)
Eye of the Needle: construction (brick)
Get Hype: tapir
Halfway Down the Stairs: bricks
It's All Uphill From Here: earth
It's a long way up: marble
It's time to climb: marble, goldmine
Labyrinth of Persia: construction (concrete), bricks
Land of Rainbows and Unicorns: abstract
Leap of the Locust: sandstone
Let's all go down the Strand: tapir
Little Miner Puzzle: shadow
Little Viennese Waltz: sandstone, construction (concrete)
LIX: construction (brick)
Lix Lata: goldmine
Lixology: earth
Mice in the Pipeline: sandstone
Minimalism: abstract
No More Heroes: tapir
Oh No, Not Again!: earth
Once you pop, you can't stop!: sandstone
One Step Off: shadow
One Way Segment: goldmine
Prelude: construction (concrete), sandstone, construction (brick)
Quick Turn Around: bricks
Rhapsody--: marble
Riddle Me This: sandstone
Roundabout: goldmine (this is also the only level to make use of changing the background color)
Rumble To The Bottom: underworld, bricks
Segmentation Fault: construction (brick)
Slippery Pete: goldmine, bricks
Subversive Activities: marble
Suicide Attack: abstract
Tapestry: construction (brick), shadow
The Abominable Snowlix: winter
The Adventure Playground: construction (concrete), construction (brick), sandstone, earth, underworld
The Italian Job: sandstone
The Last Laugh: bricks
The Last Mile: sandstone
The Mon0lith: sandstone
The Pit: winter
The Razor's Edge: abstract
The Ring of Fnargl: abstract, underworld (mostly steel)
The Transmigration of Lix: earth
Three Days of the Condor: earth, construction (brick)
Toccata: construction, abstract
Too Close for Comfort: winter, earth
Too Far to Walk: bricks
Top Gear: sandstone
Tribute to Benny Hill: tapir
Vignette: winter, earth
Walk them golden stairs: construction, sandstone
Waltz in C Sharp Miner: sandstone (mostly steel)
We'll Meet Again: bricks, earth, marble
Well OK Then: construction (brick)
Won't Get Fooled Again: bricks

Proxima: Tapir is somewhat redundant due to cvblocks, which IMO looks much better. I could see Simon's desert set working, but Oriental seems like it'd be hard to use outside very specific contexts.

geoo: Stickup is a backroute, but it's a clever (and difficult timingwise) enough one that I'll leave it in. (Also I don't see any way to get it out.) The Fnargl backroute also seems tricky to get out, but this might do it. (I'm not sure if it's that it's not there or that I can't pull it off.)