Author Topic: Oh No! More Challenges!  (Read 112016 times)

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
Re: Oh No! More Challenges!
« Reply #90 on: August 16, 2009, 09:43:05 PM »
Ah, yes.  Lose 2 on Mayhem 29 is insanely difficult to pull off, but I have managed to do it a couple of times.  Here are a few hints:

1.  You have to build left from the start, but you have to start as low as possible.
2.  Some of the various steel glitches are used on the starting platform.

Highlight to read the remaining hints:

Quote from: Spoiler
3.  The broken pillar obstacle is cleared using only a digger and a builder.
4.  All of the blockers used on the starting platform are saved by bashing underneath.
5.  The only two lemmings lost are the two blockers at the very end.  The hardest part is getting the first two lemmings spaced far enough apart and sufficiently ahead of the crowd to do the last part.

This was actually one of the few max % records that I was the first to get on these forums.  I think 100% on Havoc 16 is the other one.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2009, 08:06:51 AM »
haha, I was so proud of my 76/80 solution...

Interesting you call it "your" solution...just curious, are you Don P. Fortier, aka "LemMaster Don" from alt.lemmings?  Because it sounded like he was the guy who first found the 76/80 solution for Mayhem 29.

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2009, 08:52:16 AM »
haha, I was so proud of my 76/80 solution...

Interesting you call it "your" solution...just curious, are you Don P. Fortier, aka "LemMaster Don" from alt.lemmings?  Because it sounded like he was the guy who first found the 76/80 solution for Mayhem 29.

Well, I called it "my solution", but surely I'm not the first. Actually, I got the idea of building to the left from some guy called dfoofnik on YouTube. Figured the rest out by myself, but he gave me the biggest clue :)

As for Don P. Fortier, no, I'm not him. But, now that you mention it, I recorded the 76/80 solution and uploaded it to YouTube as a video respose for a 75/80 solution of some guy called "LemmingsMaster". Maybe he's the same guy? Anyway, he said he couldn't perform the 76/80 solution because there's water in the bottom on the SNES version.

As for the 78/80 solution... bashing to free the first blockers... I'm still clueless... how can you save the rightmost blocker from falling into the void, since he is facing to the right? How do you manage to bash underneath to free them? Damn, you guys are truly masters. I still can't figure it out.
Like prog metal? Listen at Izkemia on MySpace or Facebook.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2009, 09:36:25 AM »
Actually, I got the idea of building to the left from some guy called dfoofnik on YouTube.

dfoofnik is LemMaster Don.  So he's on youtube huh?  I might have to start making a whole bunch of video responses to whatever he might've uploaded. :P ;)

I recorded the 76/80 solution and uploaded it to YouTube as a video respose for a 75/80 solution of some guy called "LemmingsMaster". Maybe he's the same guy? Anyway, he said he couldn't perform the 76/80 solution because there's water in the bottom on the SNES version.

It may surprise you to learn that you can still get 77/80 (or 97/100) on most of the versions that have water on the bottom, and this is done not by building west, but actually building east like the conventional solution.  (Obviously you need to do some other unconventional things elsewhere to achieve 77/80.)  I've verified this solution for both SNES and Amiga (and DOS of course, even though you could do better in DOS).  I'll make a video/replay of it if anyone's interested.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2009, 09:37:57 AM »
This was actually one of the few max % records that I was the first to get on these forums.  I think 100% on Havoc 16 is the other one.

Don't forget 100% on Taxing 6, that was you too if I recall correctly. :thumbsup: ;)

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2009, 04:24:11 PM »

dfoofnik is LemMaster Don.  So he's on youtube huh?  I might have to start making a whole bunch of video responses to whatever he might've uploaded. :P ;)

I see! So dfoofnik was Don. haha, I thought that LemmingsMaster was Don. Anyway, dfoofnik has no videos on YouTube, I only read a comment he wrote on LemmingsMaster's Mayhem 29 video. Maybe you can make video responses for LemmingsMaster's videos :P

the versions that have water on the bottom, and this is done not by building west, but actually building east like the conventional solution.  (Obviously you need to do some other unconventional things elsewhere to achieve 77/80.)  I've verified this solution for both SNES and Amiga (and DOS of course, even though you could do better in DOS).  I'll make a video/replay of it if anyone's interested.

I'd be very grateful if you make a sort of a "tutorial" video of freeing the 2 inital blockers in Mayhem 29 :-[ I know you can bash the steel, but as I said, I don't know how to save the rightmost blocker.

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 17, 2009, 05:06:39 PM »
Ah, yes.  Lose 2 on Mayhem 29 is insanely difficult to pull off, but I have managed to do it a couple of times.  Here are a few hints[...]

Sorry, forgot to thank you for the tips! ;)

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2009, 03:08:05 AM »
Sorry, forgot to thank you for the tips! ;)

You're welcome.

As for the 78/80 solution... bashing to free the first blockers... I'm still clueless... how can you save the rightmost blocker from falling into the void, since he is facing to the right? How do you manage to bash underneath to free them? Damn, you guys are truly masters. I still can't figure it out.

Here's a bit more detail to describe this:
To get down lower, you have to build just a couple of bricks at the left edge of the steel and then dig from there..  You can dig the very last few pixels of steel without trigging the game's steel detection algorithm.  When he is done digging, make him build just before he falls.  This is the basis of the "left route".

You have to send your builder back down his bridge later to fill a small gap left left where he started building.  If this is done properly, you can bash from the top of the bridge and free the blockers.  To save the basher and the rightmost blocker, have them both build immmediately after the blocker is released.  Their bridges should hit what is left of the steel, and they will turn around.

Of course, you cannot release the entire crowd until the majority of the work is done, so what I do is set up three blockers at the start.  The first basher used releases just a couple of lemmings.  When they walk up the steps, one of them deals with the broken pillar obstacle, while the others walk back down.  The other basher is then used to free the remaining lemmings.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to make any kind of videos, replays or the like.  Sorry.

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2009, 03:30:28 AM »
To get down lower, you have to build just a couple of bricks at the left edge of the steel and then dig from there..  You can dig the very last few pixels of steel without trigging the game's steel detection algorithm.  When he is done digging, make him build just before he falls.  This is the basis of the "left route".

You have to send your builder back down his bridge later to fill a small gap left left where he started building.  If this is done properly, you can bash from the top of the bridge and free the blockers.  To save the basher and the rightmost blocker, have them both build immmediately after the blocker is released.  Their bridges should hit what is left of the steel, and they will turn around.

Of course, you cannot release the entire crowd until the majority of the work is done, so what I do is set up three blockers at the start.  The first basher used releases just a couple of lemmings.  When they walk up the steps, one of them deals with the broken pillar obstacle, while the others walk back down.  The other basher is then used to free the remaining lemmings.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to make any kind of videos, replays or the like.  Sorry.

Don't worry, no need of a video I think. That was a pretty good explanation! I'll try to do it :)

EDIT: You mention that 2 bashers are used to free the blockers... how do I suppose to get rid of the pillar? ??? Using only a digger and builds? Damn, I feel so stupid  :(

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 18, 2009, 06:38:10 AM »
EDIT: You mention that 2 bashers are used to free the blockers... how do I suppose to get rid of the pillar? ??? Using only a digger and builds? Damn, I feel so stupid  :(

Don't feel stupid.  The fact that you're able to get that far tells me you're doing a good job.  Here's how you get past the pillar:

Have a lemming dig from the top of your bridge just after hitting the pillar and turning around.  Shortly before he runs out of stuff to dig through, make him build.  He will go right, but hopefully he will hit his head on the bridge from earlier and turn around.  If the digger and bridge were placed properly, the lemmings should be able to drop off from the first brick and land at the very edge of the bottom part of the pillar.

There's also one other thing I should mention, and that is you can't use a builder to stop the first basher, otherwise you will run out.  One way to get around this is to start the first basher so high that he takes just one stroke and quits, and then to start the second basher a tad lower.

With all of that said, I will add that I tried the level again tonight, but ended up failing because in the end the first two lemmings were too close together, so the second one was lost while the first one was doing the build-block thing.  It takes a lot of trial and error to get them spaced out properly.

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2009, 03:26:25 PM »
Thanks LemSteven, I really appreciate your effort explaining me this  :thumbsup:

Now I'm having problems with the bashers. I can release the first blocker with the basher, but after that, there isn't enough material for the second basher to bash "a tad lower" as you said. He will just bash in the air. Anyway, I guess this is just practice and trial and error, as you said. I'll keep trying ;)

EDIT: I MADE IT! :D :'( :thumbsup:

I just made a slight modification on your technique: I set up 4 blockers instead of 3 at the beginning, so you get better timing for the build-block thing at the end. Here I attached a replay.

I'll capture it into a video and upload it to YouTube. Obviously, proper credit will be given ;)

« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 01:19:52 PM by Minim »

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2009, 10:04:29 PM »
EDIT: I MADE IT! :D :'( :thumbsup:

I just made a slight modification on your technique: I set up 4 blockers instead of 3 at the beginning, so you get better timing for the build-block thing at the end. Here I attached a replay.

I'll capture it into a video and upload it to YouTube. Obviously, proper credit will be given ;)

That was amazing to watch. Very well done. :thumbsup:
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2009, 10:42:17 PM »
Wow!  Good job!   :thumbsup:

I was just about to give a hint that the last blocker may be useful for the timing at the end, but I know that it can be done without it, and I didn't want to make things any more confusing.

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2009, 10:52:28 PM »
Thanks for your words guys! :D

Seriously, making it without the fourth blocker sounds impossible! :P (I know it's possible though).

PS: Here's the video on YouTube, in case anyone wants to watch it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9UTfUNrOU

I've got lots of other intersting stuff on YouTube in case you are interested, like Duke Nukem 3D speedruns and stuff (always loved game glitches hehehe).

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 20, 2009, 09:16:37 AM »
OK. Next challenge

Fun 7: Solve with 100% and two builders. Harder than you think on a training level. ;P
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3