Author Topic: L++: Networked multiplayer Lemmings  (Read 59917 times)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Re: L++: Networked multiplayer Lemmings
« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2009, 10:54:12 PM »
i would like to see a 8 player game
ON VIDEO! :)

Giga, if you want this, just download L++ and use the connect to the server option in network games.  Then you can participate in them and save replays.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 16, 2009, 06:20:45 AM »
Clam and I are on right now, if more people want to play that'd be awesome
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 16, 2009, 06:26:36 AM »
I noticed a problem with the editor just now. Sometimes when you edit a .LVL file, some terrain pieces appear as dark (erased), even though they aren't dark when you play the level. But if you then save it and play, the objects are dark. I noticed this problem in two of the original 2P levels, "Take what you can, when you can" and "Graffiti".

A very good suggestion came up during today's session, and that was to have an option to make all lemmings floaters automatically. This leads me to another idea - you could have a bunch of optional game modes, like:

• All lemmings are climbers and/or floaters
  • No splats (lemmings can survive any fall) - this would mean you could have some epic levels with jumpers and toroidal wrap...
  • Hero - only one lemming per player can be assigned skills (if it dies, you can choose another one, or maybe it could "respawn" at your entrance)

Yep, I'm full of random ideas just lately :D

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 16, 2009, 02:32:01 PM »
But when i down load it dosen't have levels or sprits

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #109 on: November 16, 2009, 04:01:28 PM »
Giga, did you try what I suggested earlier about this problem?

-- Simon

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 16, 2009, 11:55:29 PM »
I'd like to give this multi player stuff a try. Never had the chance with original lemmings when I was kid. Anyone want to play now?
Finally released my 6th level pack! Ten levels intended to push you quite a bit beyond the expectations of Mayhem/Havoc; check 'em out and let me know what you think!

http://camanis.net/lemmings/levelpacks.php?info&pack=174

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2009, 03:53:17 AM »
Yawg:  This Saturday, maybe?  Send me a PM with what times you can do it.  I can probably work out the time zones on my own.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 17, 2009, 03:54:04 AM »
But when i down load it dosen't have levels or sprits

Giga, did you extract it from the, uh, I forget if it was a .rar or a .zip.  Either way, did you extract it?

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 17, 2009, 06:25:00 AM »
you could have a bunch of optional game modes, like:

• All lemmings are climbers and/or floaters
  • No splats (lemmings can survive any fall) - this would mean you could have some epic levels with jumpers and toroidal wrap...
  • Hero - only one lemming per player can be assigned skills (if it dies, you can choose another one, or maybe it could "respawn" at your entrance)
  • Antimatter Lemmings: When two lemmings from different teams touch, they both explode.

:D

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2009, 07:56:23 AM »
I saved a replay today with an illegal character (colon) in the filename, and now I've got a blank file that I can't open or even delete :-\

By the way, I have fixed, text-file versions of the original 2P levels (except "Graffiti", which I couldn't fix for reasons mentioned earlier). If anyone's interested ;)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 17, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »
By the way, I have fixed, text-file versions of the original 2P levels (except "Graffiti", which I couldn't fix for reasons mentioned earlier). If anyone's interested ;)

Yeah, why not do that? I'm interested by it.

I noticed something cool. On a 2 lemming level when each one fall close enough so that one lemming is given the Exploder2 skill to send the other flying on an infinitely tall landscape, the other lemming will eventually fall upwards. Kinda reminds me of that clip I watched earlier which was all about upward lightning.

Edit: added that link
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 17, 2009, 08:11:56 PM »
By "fixed", I mean they are balanced in the sense that neither player gets an advantage from the entrance directions. For cooperation-style levels, I made both trapdoors send lemmings towards the exit rather than one each way. I don't know whether levels with one central trapdoor are supposed to send you towards your exit or your opponent's - either way it's fair, but one way or the other might make for a better contest.

I fixed "Graffiti" as well - turns out it wasn't that difficult after all.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2009, 12:02:33 AM »
Losing by 70 about 10 times in a row (no exaggeration) on your own map is just not fun
 :-[

EDIT: I immediately win on said map after I post this

lol
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2009, 12:58:30 AM »
What do i do after extracing it

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Level Database
« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2009, 01:40:38 AM »
Losing by 70 about 10 times in a row (no exaggeration) on your own map is just not fun
 :-[

Hmm.  I also don't enjoy losing as often as I tend to.  There ought to be some way to balance gameplay based on the differences in player skill a bit more -- perhaps a handicap of some sort.  I can't think of a good system off the top of my head though.  Ideas anybody?
(This would be low on the TODO list, which I really shouldn't add to without offering to help. :P)