Author Topic: L++: Networked multiplayer Lemmings  (Read 59917 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: L++: Networked multiplayer Lemmings
« Reply #90 on: November 11, 2009, 03:02:06 AM »
Incredibly, it seems that the funnest level out there so far is "Experimental: Flinging", with 4 or more players on the 2P map. It's quick, mindless and spectacular. My goal is to make a level that's as fun as this one.

Found another problem today: the nuke. With knockback explosions (heck, even without them) this is extremely disruptive. One player can destroy the whole contest very easily. I suggest the nuke be disabled until one player has an unassailable lead. For situations where this results in an unresolvable stalemate (eg. only blockers left), let the players launch the nuke by all pressing the button at once.

And another random thought: how about hotkeys to move the view to your entrance or exit?

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Level Database
« Reply #91 on: November 11, 2009, 03:40:24 AM »
And another random thought: how about hotkeys to move the view to your entrance or exit?

I second that suggestion.  I find myself losing my entrance and exit often. :(  I couldn't think of a good solution, but I think that would solve it. :D

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 11, 2009, 05:45:40 PM »
I've made a list of how many users have played L++:

Simon
geoo
Dullstar
Clam Spammer
minimac (Signs up as "Liam" on the game screen)
Isu (Signs up as "Iain" on the game screen)
Insane Steve
Adam

Well, we have 8 at the moment which is great, and my WWE pack introduces the first ever 8-player (and 7-player, why is that file not there?) level created. Maybe on Saturday night. If everyone comes in at 8:30PM UTC on 14th November, we could have our first ever 8-player game of lemmings!

Send me a PM, if I'm on the computer, I should get it fast with Firefox addons to notify me.
I'd love to participate, minimac

It's gonna be difficult playing against you on a weekday unfortunately, because you have school. What time do you come home?

Actually, I have an idea. We should view the stats of people's profile. Here's mine to give you an idea as to what I'm saying. I am on a school day between 8:35am and 3:20pm, although I am permitted to come home an hour earlier on Wednesdays and Thursdays.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2009, 12:38:40 AM »
Ow... it's so bad that my time doesn't suit with you. I'm generally available from 22:00 UTC to 7:00 UTC approximately. But I suppose you're sleeping during that time, aren't you? :-[
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2009, 09:02:03 AM »
Those times suit me very nicely. But yeah, don't expect to see too many online then...

I just realised another thing that bugs me in this game. In DOS Lemmings, a basher on a builder's bridge would always break through it. In L++ as it is now, there's a spot at the back of each step where this doesn't work. And in the middle of a MP battle, you certainly don't have the time to be worrying about pixel-precision moves.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2009, 12:12:27 AM »
I've made a list of how many users have played L++:

Simon
geoo
Dullstar
Clam Spammer
minimac (Signs up as "Liam" on the game screen)
Isu (Signs up as "Iain" on the game screen)
Insane Steve
Adam

Well, we have 8 at the moment which is great, and my WWE pack introduces the first ever 8-player (and 7-player, why is that file not there?) level created. Maybe on Saturday night. If everyone comes in at 8:30PM UTC on 14th November, we could have our first ever 8-player game of lemmings!

Send me a PM, if I'm on the computer, I should get it fast with Firefox addons to notify me.
I'd love to participate, minimac

It's gonna be difficult playing against you on a weekday unfortunately, because you have school. What time do you come home?

Actually, I have an idea. We should view the stats of people's profile. Here's mine to give you an idea as to what I'm saying. I am on a school day between 8:35am and 3:20pm, although I am permitted to come home an hour earlier on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

Hey, I'm open now until Monday.  I will not do a game before school, just because I already have to get up too early as it is, but normally I'm home by 3:00 (15:00).

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2009, 04:57:17 PM »
I think we need another game mode.  I could imagine some pretty good ideas for co-op levels...  which could be done even better if each player was given a different skillset.  For example, a level where you have to have one lemming climb a wall, have a lemming from the other team bash so the climber can get where it needs to go, then mine down with the climber.  To do perfectly, it would be required to allow giving different players different skillsets, although a workaround could be created.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2009, 06:22:11 PM »
I just realised another thing that bugs me in this game. In DOS Lemmings, a basher on a builder's bridge would always break through it. In L++ as it is now, there's a spot at the back of each step where this doesn't work. And in the middle of a MP battle, you certainly don't have the time to be worrying about pixel-precision moves.

Yea, this is huge and needs to be addressed -- I hate bashing through a bridge but not going through all the way.

Also my times are... really odd. In general you're much more likely to get a game with me on Monday-Wednesday than any other day, though.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 14, 2009, 08:09:43 PM »
Now I can come on more - I grabbed the Linux version so now I can play regardless of which OS I'm booted into.

Anyways, waiting for opponents

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 14, 2009, 09:25:16 PM »
There's a session going on right now, in need of more players!

EDIT:  It's over now.
If you can get 3 or more players by adding me in, though, I'll join back in.  It gets boring with only two players.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 14, 2009, 11:33:02 PM »
It's funny... usually about now is the peak time for MP Lemmings. Yeah, 1v1 is a test of skill and all that, but having more players just adds so much... more action, more opportunities to steal lemmings, and more lag. :( Worth it though.

I just had another random thought - would it be possible to randomly generate a map from a set of rules, and end up with something that's playable at all? I think it would be awesome (especially for 1v1 games) to get a fresh map each time and have to invent strategies on the fly.

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 14, 2009, 11:38:21 PM »
i would like to see a 8 player game
ON VIDEO! :)

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 14, 2009, 11:39:09 PM »
I just had another random thought - would it be possible to randomly generate a map from a set of rules, and end up with something that's playable at all? I think it would be awesome (especially for 1v1 games) to get a fresh map each time and have to invent strategies on the fly.

That SO sounds like something I could do. We should look into this.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2009, 09:51:54 AM »

Could be interesting but might take a few iterations of refinement before we come up with a good system of doing so.  I don't know the implementation details of L++, but it would be easier and more flexible for this, if it can take arbitrary bitmaps for level terrain, instead of having to stick with it being constructed out of preset terrain pieces.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 15, 2009, 09:20:07 PM »
it can take arbitrary bitmaps for level terrain

Hey, I didn't even consider that when I posted earlier. :D In that case, you could have a Worms-style map generator and just make one big (symmetrical) terrain piece that covers the whole map, and maybe sprinkle on a few other pieces here and there.