Author Topic: Call me crazy...  (Read 7129 times)

Main

Call me crazy...
« on: June 24, 2006, 11:26:10 PM »
... But I think that the game mechanics in Lemmings would work well in a Real-Time Strategy game format. Instead of guiding the lemmings towards an exit point, you would maneuver them across a level, competing against either another player or a computer, with their own set of lemmings. In addition to some of the basic tunneling and building skils, there would exist combat skills; an immobile machine gun that periodically fires bursts in a straight line, taking out lemmings in the way, a sniper who aims diagonally, etc. If there's any editing tool that could change the abilities of lemmings, could I get a link please?

EvilWeevil

Re: Call me crazy...
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 02:53:50 AM »
Hmm, that sounds like a pretty cool idea...they could have some of the skills in Lemmings 2, as several of them are pretty combat like to start with (lets face it, there wouldn't be many things more satisfying than torching an enemy lemming with a flame thrower).

As for your question, I'm afriad I don't know of any tools that could do that.

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Level Database
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 02:56:15 AM »
The closest thing to what you've said is probably Clones.  While I don't think this game has much combat, it does have online multiplayer.

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 12:35:23 PM »
My god yes. I heard about a very similar idea on the Team17 forums. Personally I think it'd be a totally awesome game.  :laugh:

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 01:10:07 PM »
I mentioned a similar idea on the old forum once. The way I envisaged it is this: as on 2-player Lemmings, each player has their own lemmings and their own exit, and the object is to get more lemmings (of either colour) into your exit than the opponent; but as well as the normal Lemmings skills you have some skills that are like weapons. Some would be able to kill opposing lemmings directly, while others would create obstructions in the path, break bridges, and so forth. (Of course, tactics of this sort are possible on the existing 2-player Lemmings as well......)

Main

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 09:15:02 PM »
Hmmm... I need a .gif of a lemming's walk animation (from the original game). I have an idea of how to make this idea come to life (and death! :devil:)

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Level Database
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 01:37:39 AM »

lomay

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 10:47:22 AM »
what the heck is that on your Signature main!?? :huh2:

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 05:22:11 PM »
Save that for PMing, squeaky. *pokes Lomay*

0xdeadbeef

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 06:04:24 PM »
what the heck is that on your Signature main!?  :huh2:

It's one of the evil aliens from Star Control II.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Control

Was a great game at its time ("happy campers")...

lomay

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 07:25:47 PM »
Save that for PMing, squeaky. *pokes Lomay*
ok then
what the heck is that on your Signature main!?? :huh2:

It's one of the evil aliens from Star Control II.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Control

Was a great game at its time ("happy campers")...
oh.

Offline Liebatron

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 06:39:00 PM »
You're crazy! ok, now that that's over with I'll get to the post.

Lots of quotes.

I think the closest thing to the game mentioned in the first post is actually lemmings for SNES. I There's a multiplayer mode where you play against somebody who has their own set of lemmings. You both go across the level and attempt to reach your exit whilie the other play attempts to stop you and get his or her own lemmings to their exit.

Offline covox

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 10:55:39 AM »
To be fair, the two-player mode was pioneered in the original Amiga version and only ever appeared in a couple of later ports.

A better approximation would be a game like Liero/NIL or Hell of Lemmings II, only with automation and squad tactics.

Offline Liebatron

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2006, 01:58:51 AM »
What about lemmings paintball? could you maybe automate the paintball guns and set up stationary ones. a few things would need changed:

2 number-how many times a gun could fire based on ammunition reloads. and how many lemmings appear at the start.

some graphics- the bullets and the stationary guns.

need to add something new-who here knows hiow to program, because the idea wfor stationary guns would need to be nixed unless someone knows how to take the properties of a lemming, and alter them so they don't move and are a different kind of sprite. You would need to make the enemy lemming into a non-moving, thing that can be used by another lemming the same way a lever can.

-this could be possible? :smiley:

EDIT: At first, I thought the alien thing on your sig. was eating pasta, Main. :huh2:

Andi

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2006, 10:19:50 AM »
I once had the idea of a Lemmings RTS like Age of Empires or Command & Conquer. Building up a base and producing units. But I never started it. As story I had something like fighting for the last piece of the talisman from Lemmings 2. ^^