Author Topic: The Lemmings Remake Topic  (Read 30131 times)

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
Re: The Lemmings Remake Topic
« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2006, 03:25:01 PM »
1. neither is very much work. 15 minutes work.
2. ok
3. Nope. But not much work either. 30 minutes work.
4. Nope. Only if no one is making them :)

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2006, 06:19:26 PM »
Busy with remake executable.
Anybody against a lineair level system?
This means that the 6 sections with its 30 levels each will be in this order, each file contains 10 levels.

Basic 1 - LEVEL000.DAT - nr 1
Basic 2 - LEVEL000.DAT - nr 2
Basic 3 - LEVEL000.DAT - nr 3
Basic 10 - LEVEL001.DAT - nr 1
Puzzling 1 - LEVEL003.DAT - nr 1

and so on until LEVEL017.DAT - nr 10

(hope it is clear)

STT

« Reply #107 on: November 14, 2006, 05:24:23 AM »
Linear seems the easiest to work with.

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Level Database
« Reply #108 on: November 14, 2006, 06:12:41 AM »
Basic 10 - LEVEL001.DAT - nr 1
Except Basic 10 would be stored in either LEVEL000.DAT - nr 10 or LEVEL001.DAT - nr 2, depending on whether we have 10 or 8 levels per pack.  :tongue:

STT

« Reply #109 on: November 14, 2006, 07:30:11 AM »
10 is better there as well. It is a round number, and makes three packs per section ---> easy

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 14, 2006, 06:52:03 PM »
Except Basic 10 would be stored in either LEVEL000.DAT - nr 10 or LEVEL001.DAT - nr 2, depending on whether we have 10 or 8 levels per pack.̆ :tongue:

Back when I modified Lemmings for the remake, one modification was to the game take 10 levels per pack rather than 8.   It works fine and is certainly much more convenient when the time comes to assembling the levels into levelpaks.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 22, 2006, 09:52:23 AM »
Executable more or less ready.
I need some advice (advise?) on which files to distribute with the player.
And another thing: can I put amixture of original lemmingsfiles for download at my homepage or is this illegal?

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Level Database
« Reply #112 on: November 22, 2006, 01:49:23 PM »
I need some advice (advise?) on which files to distribute with the player.
And another thing: can I put amixture of original lemmingsfiles for download at my homepage or is this illegal?

Basically, whoever owns the rights to Lemmings has not been enforcing their copyright on Lemmings.  (We're not quite sure if Sony actually owns the rights to Lemmings or not, but we'll assume they do.)  As long as you don't charge money, you aren't likely to draw attention from Sony's lawyers.
In a worst case scenario, they would probably threaten to sue you before taking any action.  At that point, you could remove the files and they would be happy.

Offline covox

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 22, 2006, 02:17:22 PM »
Psygnosis owned the trademark to Lemmings. Now Psygnosis was bought out in 1993 by Sony, and dropped the brand in 1999 in favour of the more sterile SCE Studios Liverpool. While SCE Studios Liverpool haven't actually made any new Lemmings titles, their trademark portfolio has been added to that of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. Presumably the new PSP/PS2 games were made by development haus Team17 under license for SCEE.

Of course, the practical upshot of all this is that SCEE does not produce games for non-Sony platforms. And (as much as they enjoy suing everyone just to prove they don't have a PR department), I highly doubt they'd threaten a lawsuit for the sake of "protecting" a game that's a decade and a half old on a platform they don't care about.

« Reply #114 on: November 22, 2006, 10:33:35 PM »
I highly doubt they'd threaten a lawsuit for the sake of "protecting" a game that's a decade and a half old on a platform they don't care about.

One question remains - will they see this as protection?

One question regarding the project itself: Is there a set team for this? If not, I may do some work on this eventually, once I improve my level-making skills, but, at this point, my stuff is not yet on high-end difficulty. (Or, perhaps, it only seems this way because I'm examining the file in development.)

Generally speaking, this is quite interesting, and I can't wait to see how this progresses. Oh, alright, fine, I can, but maybe not for long...

Also:
4. 6 bitmaps for the level-sections.
Perhaps I could work on those, if nobody else has that handled yet.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 23, 2006, 04:52:58 AM »
Basically, whoever owns the rights to Lemmings has not been enforcing their copyright on Lemmings.  (We're not quite sure if Sony actually owns the rights to Lemmings or not, but we'll assume they do.)  As long as you don't charge money, you aren't likely to draw attention from Sony's lawyers.

I'm not so sure that money has anything to do with it.  Wasn't Peter Spada also "threatened" by Psygnosis when he made the first Copycat Lemmings clone?  I'm pretty sure he didn't charge for that.

It is true though that they generally give you the "cease and desist" order before actually taking legal action, for the obvious reason that lawsuits cost $$$.

Like Mindless, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #116 on: November 23, 2006, 11:40:53 AM »
Yeah.  And anyway, that Copycat thing was years ago, when Lemmings was comparably bigger.

2112, I don't believe there's a set team for this-- it's just a community effort.

« Reply #117 on: December 23, 2006, 06:18:59 PM »
2112, I don't believe there's a set team for this-- it's just a community effort.

Alright. I think I know what I'll be doing for the next few weeks...

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 10, 2007, 10:37:05 AM »
Finally hoping to contribute something again to the remake....
I uploaded all needed data to The Lemmings File Portal:

http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/lemmingswelt/index.php?cmd=get&file=remake/remake_0600.zip

- I included LEVEL000.DAT - LEVEL017.DAT. Each file contains 10 empty levels.
With Lemmix we can start to move user-made levels to these files with the Levelpack editor in Lemmix or maybe with LemEdit. How, Who, When....?

To play and edit with Lemmix, its ini-file has to be extended to support the "remake-style". Soon I will upload this on my website and also post it here.

- The executable is called LemmxPlayerRemake.exe, which is rather long.

- Cursor only works when running Win2000 or higher

A few points I can think of:

1. Which game-mechanics are going to be used? (This is important also for the ini-file in Lemmix). Probably CustLemm mechanics are the most convenient. Currently the mechanics of "DOS Ohno More Lemmings" are used.

2. The six temporary bitmaps for the level-sections are quick creations of me. In the final release these bitmaps are going to be included in the executable. Any creative person around here?

I have been off lemmings for a while. If something does not work properly, or there are any questions please let me know.

Eric

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 10, 2007, 05:17:52 PM »
Nice one Eric! :thumbsup:

With regard to the bitmaps; how's this for a quick cut-and-paste job? I'm sure there must someone here who's good with graphics and can do a better job, but I think it turned out fairly well. (click to enlarge)

How's everyone doing on the level-searching front? Was it ever decided how the levels would be chosen in the end? I saw the wiki that was made but noone seems to be using it... ???