Author Topic: The Lemmings Remake Topic  (Read 30110 times)

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
Re: The Lemmings Remake Topic
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2006, 04:44:25 PM »
Cheers, it's all working now :cool:

Looks like all of they can all be easily fixed. Not sure how I didn't see the one on the fourth level, but a bit of steel will solve that. Likewise the last one. The others just need me to fix some of the steel and traps so they actually work. The triggers areas seem to be slightly different compared the windows version. Anyway, I'll get them done and re-uploaded a.s.a.p.

Thanks again.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2006, 05:20:50 PM »
I like the idea of Geo to have codes that are easy to put in human Short Time Memory.
A code like UDUJOZALAB is easier to "see" then FIQUWDSLHO.
Anyone *against* this idea and/or against just one code working for each level?
Codes will then look like:
Code: [Select]
    UDUJOZALAB
    MUQESAQUYI
    BELOHEDOTU
    MIBEVIBAWA
    EVIYAXIWAF

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2006, 06:16:00 PM »

I don't know, it still looks like a random jumble of letters to me; the alternating vowel-consonant pattern is hardly noticeable for someone not looking for it.

I think what we really want are codes actually composed of real English words.̆ It's not hard to write the program to generate such codes, just that we need a reasonably long list of common English words to base the codes off from.̆ Presumably this list can be created using a program to pick words off from various web pages or the like, such as...posts from this board. :wink:

I'm also assuming this is strictly for the Lemmings & ONML Remake project only.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2006, 10:09:36 PM »

I don't know, it still looks like a random jumble of letters to me; the alternating vowel-consonant pattern is hardly noticeable for someone not looking for it.
But codes you can actually pronounce are easier to remember than random strings of letters. I can still remember codes like OLIGEKONIK (19 Mayhem), BINONGIIFO (26 Tricky) and NILEOGADIV (9 Mayhem) and I never actually tried to memorise them......

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2006, 11:04:01 PM »
But codes you can actually pronounce are easier to remember than random strings of letters.<snip>

How do you pronounce BKNONGIIFO?̆ :tongue:

(Then again, in some languages like Georgian, "GVBRDYVNIS" is a word.)

No doubt that'll work for some people, but I'm skeptical of its general effectiveness.̆ I still think word-based concatenations are a better way to go, if we're even bothering with level codes for the remakes.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2006, 01:35:15 AM »
Reminds me of the codes for Worms 2. All words, but more than that... all the level codes put together formed a story. Not that I'm advocating that, but it was funny...

tseug

« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2006, 03:05:33 AM »
Why not just use random letter codes, but shorter? Four letters yield 456976 different codes... which is plenty.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2006, 09:30:51 AM »
How do you pronounce BKNONGIIFO?  :tongue:

Typo  :tongue:

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2006, 03:53:42 PM »
The codes in Lemmings 3D are all real (and uncommon) words...

I also know that VPRTSKNDI is a valid word in Georgian... :laugh:

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2006, 07:32:42 PM »
Just finished fixing my pack and tried uploading it, but I can't overwrite the old one on the portal. I've saved it with a slightly different name for now, but could someone who can please delete the old one? Cheers.

Regarding passwords, four random letters seems the best way to me. Nice and short, and easy to remember.

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Level Database
« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2006, 09:32:38 PM »
Just finished fixing my pack and tried uploading it, but I can't overwrite the old one on the portal. I've saved it with a slightly different name for now, but could someone who can please delete the old one? Cheers.
It's a security measure.  :wink:  Old pack deleted.

Offline covox

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2006, 06:21:52 AM »
Regarding passwords, four random letters seems the best way to me. Nice and short, and easy to remember.

But... but... what if you want more than 456976 levels?! :shocked:

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2006, 07:25:57 PM »

I've solved now all of your levels as well, a couple of my solutions look backroute-ish though.
I can send you my Lemmix demos, just give me your e-mail address. Neat levels, I confirm.

As for passwords, another simple method could be just taking the first 10 letters of the level titles, that way, if you remember the name, you can easily associate the password with it. However, one problem is, that it has to be made sure that no two levels have the same first 10 letters, and for levels with less than 10 letters, the spaces should be filled somehow.

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2006, 09:39:03 PM »
I like that idea as well. Empty spaces could probably just be left as underscores or have the last/first letters repeated. Including the difficulty level would help solve the same-name problem, obviously assuming the two levels aren't placed in the same set and two sets don't share the same first letter :wink:

FJUSTDIG__
FJUSTDIGGG
FJUSTDIGJU

Maybe even include a reference to the level creator if two people have used the same name and they're both of similar difficulty, although that would make them (slightly) harder to remember.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2006, 03:33:24 AM »
Just talking about that, I remember perfectly the code for the MENACING!!! level. The code is simple to remember:

HOLICMOMEW
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...