Author Topic: Game boy Lemmings  (Read 14486 times)

Jazzem

Re: Game boy Lemmings
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2005, 07:46:58 PM »
Yeah, the arcade version was cancelled about 70% in. It makes sense, Lemmings really doesn't suit an arcade game, given it's slow, strategic nature (I'll retract the former adjective with Cascade in mind :P).

Still would've been great to see it in the arcades though :(

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2005, 08:37:26 PM »
Quote from: minglw link=1132683903/0#14 date=1133983637
Other than on the Amiga, PC and the coming PSP, Lemmings is vailable on few other platforms.
 (I don't have the ones for the Mac or Playstation.)[...]
According to Wikipedia, Lemmings has been ported to over 30 platforms:
3DO, Acorn Archimedes, Amstrad CPC, Apple IIgs, Arcade (prototype only), Atari Lynx, Atari ST, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga CD32, Commodore CDTV, DHTML, DOS, Hewlett-Packard HP-48 series, Macintosh, Mobile phone, Nintendo Famicom (NES), Nintendo Game Boy, TI-83 plus, Nintendo Game Boy Color, Nintendo Super Famicom (SNES), OS/2, Palm, Philips CD-I, SAM Coup&#E9;, Sega Game Gear, Sega Master System, Sega Megadrive (Genesis), UIQ, Sinclair Spectrum, Sony PlayStation, Sony PlayStation Portable and Windows.
Some of these platforms I don't even know.

I don't have any you did not list though.

@Jazzem: It seems that you have to get quite a lot of versions of lemmings to complete your collection. ;)

minglw

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2005, 09:25:40 PM »
Quote from: geoo89 link=1132683903/15#16 date=1133987846
Quote from: minglw link=1132683903/0#14 date=1133983637
Other than on the Amiga, PC and the coming PSP, Lemmings is vailable on few other platforms.
 (I don't have the ones for the Mac or Playstation.)[...]
According to Wikipedia, Lemmings has been ported to over 30 platforms:
3DO, Acorn Archimedes, Amstrad CPC, Apple IIgs, Arcade (prototype only), Atari Lynx, Atari ST, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga CD32, Commodore CDTV, DHTML, DOS, Hewlett-Packard HP-48 series, Macintosh, Mobile phone, Nintendo Famicom (NES), Nintendo Game Boy, TI-83 plus, Nintendo Game Boy Color, Nintendo Super Famicom (SNES), OS/2, Palm, Philips CD-I, SAM Coup&#E9;, Sega Game Gear, Sega Master System, Sega Megadrive (Genesis), UIQ, Sinclair Spectrum, Sony PlayStation, Sony PlayStation Portable and Windows.
Some of these platforms I don't even know.

I don't have any you did not list though.

@Jazzem: It seems that you have to get quite a lot of versions of lemmings to complete your collection. ;)

Thanks for the info!

Looking thru my collections....  it seems like I am missing just these: Mobile Phone, Commodore CDTV, UIQ (whatever that is) and Playstation.   For the rest, I think I have them somewhere on DVDR.
I mainly play the one for the PC anyway.   I think I have every Lemmings game released for the PC (at least those that I can buy from the US).
The only PC version that I don't have  the original is LEMMINGS 3D -- is this one released on a CD ?

Jazzem

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2005, 09:43:56 PM »
You can say that again!

I imagine I'll end up with the ones on the consoles I own (NES, SNES, Game Gear and the PC verison not by abandonware are ones I may get). I always want an Acorn Archemedes (The console/computer I first played it on) again, so that may be a possibilty.

I'll reist a CD-i though :P

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2005, 10:18:31 PM »
The HP-48 and TI-83 are graphing calculators I think. &#A0;As such, they are definitely not official ports. &#A0;More like Cheapo basically. &#A0;I do have to wonder though what it looks and plays like on calculators......

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2005, 10:21:59 PM »
Quote from: Jazzem link=1132683903/15#15 date=1133984818
Yeah, the arcade version was cancelled about 70% in. It makes sense, Lemmings really doesn't suit an arcade game, given it's slow, strategic nature
On the other hand, a 2-player version would seem to suit an arcade game pretty well......

Jazzem

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2005, 10:40:03 PM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)(Guest) link=1132683903/15#20 date=1133994119
Quote from: Jazzem link=1132683903/15#15 date=1133984818
Yeah, the arcade version was cancelled about 70% in. It makes sense, Lemmings really doesn't suit an arcade game, given it's slow, strategic nature
On the other hand, a 2-player version would seem to suit an arcade game pretty well......

That's true, it could get pretty competitive. I've got to force my brother to play 2 player Lemmigns with me, the last time I did it must have been when I was six. It also used a tracker ball apparantly, I'd love to play Lemmings with one of those gizmos.

The HP-48 and TI-83 are graphing calculators I think.  As such, they are definitely not official ports.  More like Cheapo basically.  I do have to wonder though what it looks and plays like on calculators......

8 represents a lemming, 5 represents a trap and 2 the exit :P

I think I saw some screenshots of it actually, and it definately wasn't offical. That list seems to go beyond the offical ones, it's got DHTML on there...

minglw

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2005, 11:12:26 PM »
Is the original "Lemmings 3D" released on CD or floopies ?

Anyone know if there's any difference between the original version and the version that's
floating on the web ?   (any missing CD music tracks ?)

The version I downloaded is roughly 8 MB rar-compressed (43 MB uncompressed).

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2005, 02:18:11 AM »
Ahem, going back on topic......
Quote from: Jazzem link=1132683903/0#0 date=1132683903
For the completist value (And to see what it plays like on the grey brick of fun) I got this from ebay today. It certainly is a bizarre conversion, the builder's bridge is at a much steeper angle this time, and some of the levels have been tweaked, some for the better (Don't do anything too hasty is much more of a challenge), and some for the worst (What have they done to We all fall down!?!). It's fun though, and feels slightly different to the versions we're all used to. Just a shame that the lemmings aren't always so responsive to your commands :(

Anyone else got it?
I finally downloaded it and tried it out briefly on an emulator.

As it turns out, it is not exactly a clone of NES Lemmings. &#A0;It's true that the NES levels are probably all reused, but there are obvious game-mechanical differences you can see from the very start. &#A0;I'm actually quite surprised. &#A0;In some ways the GameBoy version almost seem more "advanced" than the NES version. &#A0;Digging and basher for example do not remove entire cells, but actually behaves more like regular lemming versions (although I haven't check whether you can stop the action immediately, or instead it has to wait til the next cell like NES). &#A0;I would say the GameBoy version is somewhat between the NES and regular versions in terms of its game mechanics, from the little I've seen so far.

The skill distribution are also different, at least when I checked Tricky 1 and Taxing 1.

So I guess it would be important for me to do a challenge run for the GameBoy version, separately from the NES version. &#A0;I must say though, the game runs much slower on the GameBoy, it'd definitely be a bit of a pain to go thru the levels.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2005, 11:50:50 AM »
Hey Jazzem, since you have the real GameBoy catridge, can you tell me whether the following I observe happens on the real, non-emulated, GameBoy lemmings?

1) The game seems to have trouble drawing the 13th and 14th lemming, making them almost semi-invisible at times. &#A0;Does this happen on GameBoy or is it just my emulator?

2) Builders can turn themselves around and continue to build when they hit a wall while building?

3) I can't seem to get more than 3 builders building at the same time. &#A0;The game won't let me assign builders, and it looks like any other non-permanent, animated skills (bashers for example) afterwards?

Thanks. &#A0;I'm especially interested with #1.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2005, 11:56:10 AM »
Let me clarify #1 and #3 above.  For #1, I definitely see it happening on Fun 8, but I don't remember for sure about other levels, so what I see might only happen when RR is 99.  For #3, I don't mean you can't assign skills permanently, just that when you have 3 builders going already, it looks like you can't make more skills happen until one of the builders finish first.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2005, 01:17:58 PM »
I tried a second emulator and I'm still observing all the stuff I said above, so I'm think this happens on the real GameBoy also.

I also found a glitch in GameBoy Fun 16. &#A0;There are glitches, and then there are glitches. &#A0;Go to the right entrance and see that pillar right of the entrance, depicted here in ASCII:

Code: [Select]
&#A0;BB
 &#A0;BB
 &#A0;BB
 &#A0;BB
 &#A0;BB
 BBBB
ABBBBB
Using a builder or climber, get up on top of the pillar's base at the position marked A, and have a left-facing lemming dig down that terrain cell A and then mine. &#A0;When the lemming starts mining, the area of screen around A will start to glitch up and then the miner will kinda just freeze up. &#A0;At some point, the game will decrease the number of lemmings out by 1, even though the frozen image of the miner will stick around in that area of the level.

Definitely the wackiest glitch I've seen in any lemmings game I've played thus far. &#A0;I'm almost surprised the game didn't just crash right there and then. &#A0;I don't know for sure right now whether this glitch is specific to Fun 16 or whether there are more general conditions for triggering it.

Naturally, if someone can try it out on a real GameBoy that'd be cool, just to see whether the same thing happens (most probably).

Jazzem

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2005, 09:55:12 PM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)(Guest) link=1132683903/15#24 date=1134042650
Hey Jazzem, since you have the real GameBoy catridge, can you tell me whether the following I observe happens on the real, non-emulated, GameBoy lemmings?

1) The game seems to have trouble drawing the 13th and 14th lemming, making them almost semi-invisible at times.  Does this happen on GameBoy or is it just my emulator?

2) Builders can turn themselves around and continue to build when they hit a wall while building?

3) I can't seem to get more than 3 builders building at the same time.  The game won't let me assign builders, and it looks like any other non-permanent, animated skills (bashers for example) afterwards?

Thanks.  I'm especially interested with #1.

1) Yeah, when played on a GBC/GBA (SP) they actually come out as a completely different colour to the rest. There's quite a few graphical glitches, you occasionally get invisible boxes appearing on a lemming, and if you mine a lot you may get a bit of terrain out of nowhere :-?

2)Yep. It's suprsing how much they changed the builder's behaviour.

3)Yeah, the game is a bit fussy about that. I tried to get more then three digging on Just Dig and had no luck. I guess it's to prevent slowdown or crashes.

I'll check out that glitch aswell. Just out of curiosity, does the NES version play track 13 of this--->http://www.deveria.com/alexis/lemmings/lemmings/music/lemjuke.html<--- when it's paused too?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2005, 10:29:40 PM »
Quote from: Jazzem link=1132683903/15#27 date=1134078912
Just out of curiosity, does the NES version play track 13 of this--->http://www.deveria.com/alexis/lemmings/lemmings/music/lemjuke.html<--- when it's paused too?
No, on the NES if I recall correctly, it continues with the current level's music (like the normal version). &#A0;I kinda like the change of music in the GameBoy version though--well, at first. &#A0;Hearing that same music over and over again does get a bit annoying after a while.

One would think that since we're talking about the battery-operated GameBoy, the more power-friendly thing to do when paused is to turn off the music altogether, so I'm not really sure what they were thinking with the music switch. ::)

Jazzem

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2005, 10:32:13 PM »
Well you can always turn the sound off anyway!

So would I be right to presume that track 13 is now normal music for a level on the NES version?