Author Topic: Lemmix Tutorial  (Read 2238 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Lemmix Tutorial
« on: July 31, 2012, 12:32:54 AM »
I have a question for ccexplore (this is my punishment for mocking other people that asked him stuff).
(Unless anybody else can answer of course)

I'd like to make a video tutorial on how to set-up and use Lemmix. Since I got the version ccexplore uploaded with all the files already in it; I don't actually know how to set it up properly. I was looking through the forum and a found a few contradictory ways to set it up.
Maybe someone with a "correct" version could just show me what their folder looks like and the ini files. [By correct I mean that you got Lemmix from Eric's site and you added the files from your own Lemmings game/s.]
But I'd prefer pretty detailed instruction.

Simon suggested I tell people the proper way to set it up. Plus I don't really feel comfortable telling youtube that I'm encouraging people to come to this site just to get copy-righted material. [Is it alright that I'm mentioning it right here? :scared: I'm paranoid about that stuff.]
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Lemmix Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 01:32:35 AM »
I'd like to make a video tutorial on how to set-up and use Lemmix. Since I got the version ccexplore uploaded with all the files already in it; I don't actually know how to set it up properly. I was looking through the forum and a found a few contradictory ways to set it up.

By design the original distribution of Lemmix is missing the files that are copyrighted, and the idea is you would edit LemmixStyles.ini to point Lemmix to the right locations to look for missing files, namely the locations where you have installed the various Lemmings games and their files.  How exactly you got those files on your computer is a case of don't ask don't tell. ;P

I think the LemmixStyles.ini from the original distribution may not be fully complete in terms of having all the styles defined for all the games, I don't remember.  If all the style definitions are there in the file (like the case of my LemmixStyles.ini from the distribution with copyrighted files pre-included), then it is just a matter of modifying the CommonPath= values for each style section to point to the folder where the files of the game actually resides on your computer.  There are no copyright issues to LemmixStyles.ini, so it may be possible to provide a download to a copy of LemmixStyles.ini, if the one from the original distribution isn't complete enough.

As for mentioning the "everything included" distribution here of Lemmix on a youtube video:  at first I thought it's sort of risky to do that, but then I remember that LemmixPlayer already includes all the copyrighted files, and I think  (I could be very wrong about this though) LemmixPlayer is being offered on the same webpage where the "no copyright material" distribution of Lemmix is located.  If that's the case then seems like we are already beyond the issue of copyright?

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 03:15:28 AM »
I think  (I could be very wrong about this though) LemmixPlayer is being offered on the same webpage where the "no copyright material" distribution of Lemmix is located.  If that's the case then seems like we are already beyond the issue of copyright?

No your right. The Lemmix player is the first thing on the website (Eric's?) website and it works perfectly like the game. I never even thought of that. If he did it like that then why not include everything in the editor in the first place?  ???  :-\ ???
You don't have to answer this but I'm curious why you're not able to use the information from that Lemmix player in "Lemmixstyle.ini" for the editor somehow.

Anyway thanks for the information. I was thinking about posting my own version of Lemmix with files included on media fire or something that way I can go to jail instead of you if things go horribly wrong.  ;P (If I did that however and you wanted credit for making it I would put your name on there). But I'm getting ahead of myself. Idk If I'll do that or not yet.

I'm also reluctant to say; "you need to have an original copy of DOS version" because I don't. :-[  so I won't be able to rightly demonstrate using files from a real DOS version. But I do have the Windows version and I believe from reading the website that you should be able to use that somehow. :-\
[this tutorial is turning out to be a lot more work than I anticipated.  :D I still want to do it]
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 11:01:59 PM »
nobody cares but; I figured out Lemmix finally (took me long enough :'( It's not that hard or tedious actually :-\). The only thing is I have an important question:

Where do/did the CustLem DAT files come from? A game? Or were they created? If so how do you get them?
I can legitimately make a tutorial now without mentioning copy-right issues or anything in that grey-area but since CustLem is the most convient- most used style by the community, I'd like to be able to tell people how to get that. [Or at least be able to use that in my video]

To be more precise; I'm probably going to demonstrate taking files from a WinLem folder that you can get off of the CD and editing the INI file. I'll say to do a similar proceedure for the other games (DOS, ONML, etc.) But I have no idea where the CustLem files came from.

>>I'm going to mention in my description below that "if they are still having trouble just visit the site and I'll direct them to your ready-made Lemmix download". I'm not going to say: "this contains all the copy-righted material you need if you don't have it" :XD:. Just let me know if that's okay. If you don't want me to do that, I won't. Thanx again.

-Hakuin Ekaku