Author Topic: Stupid Computer Features  (Read 16886 times)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: Stupid Computer Features
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 06:43:04 PM »
This next feature is more of an input rather than a feature. But here we go.

All laptops have a mouse input, which is very annoying to me. I prefer a wired mouse. The keyboard input isn't as bad as he mouse but the keyboard layout sometimes forces me to hold the function key down. Another thing I don't like about laptops.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2009, 07:41:44 PM »
My most hated annoying feature is the Microsoft Office Shortcuts window that always pops open when I start up. I know it's not doing any harm, but for whatever reason I like a tidy desktop so I always take the time to close it, and I know it's only a few seconds but I would still be grateful if someone knew how to make this not happen :) Ditto for that stupid thing that comes up in Word and says "You seem to be writing a letter, do you need your hand held every step of the way?" Goodness knows why they think writing a letter is so hard, unless it's just that it's something most people never need to learn nowadays....

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2009, 08:22:55 PM »
Ditto for that stupid thing that comes up in Word and says

Ah yes, the universally hated Clippy.  There're some funny bits in that Wikipedia article I linked to, particularly at the "Criticism and parodies" section.  (For example, find out what the codename was for that feature...... :P)  Clearly the biggest, most iconic blunder in user interface design of a Microsoft product to date.

My most hated annoying feature is the Microsoft Office Shortcuts window that always pops open <snip> I would still be grateful if someone knew how to make this not happen :)

If you can buy or "borrow" a copy of a more recent version of Office, do that; they've turned off and later removed Clippy from newer versions of Office, and I haven't seen the Shortcuts popup window for some years now.

Otherwise, I'll suggest Googling the Internet and see if you can find the instructions to turn off Clippy and the Shortcuts popup window.  At least I'm hoping there's a way (however obtuse) to turn them off.  Unfortunately I don't have a version of Office old enough to help you with those.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2009, 12:41:52 PM »
Here's another issue I have:
Every time I download a lemmix replay a pop-up comes up all the time with the option always selecting "Open File" and all I have to do is change the option to "Save File" before I click OK. The box check "Always do the selected action" is locked to off every single time. I don't know if there is any way round it.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a lot of angry smileys in this thread. :P
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2009, 06:33:14 PM »
Reply to Proxima's post, not minimac's.  Just clearing up confusion.

Have you tried OpenOffice?

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2009, 07:11:43 PM »
Well I have, but I don't think it relates to replays.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2009, 07:17:56 PM »
Oops.  I should have quoted Proxima, shouldn't I have?

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2009, 08:08:46 PM »
Here's another issue I have:
Every time I download a lemmix replay a pop-up comes up all the time with the option always selecting "Open File" and all I have to do is change the option to "Save File" before I click OK. The box check "Always do the selected action" is locked to off every single time. I don't know if there is any way round it.

Yep, I get the same thing. The difference is, for me it asks me to open it with Lemmix because I set the .lrb format to use Lemmix (which was dumb, I know, because you have to open them from within Lemmix) and I don't know how to change it.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2009, 12:03:19 AM »
Windows has an odd habit of randomly making my keyboard lock up.  Have you ever had to click the refresh button while posting because of an operating system goofing up?  Once you do that, though, it's fine.  But still!

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2009, 12:24:06 AM »
No, I can't say I have. Is your Windows PC okay? Sounds like it might be infected with viruses.
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2009, 02:53:17 AM »
Um, no.  The reinstallations, virus scans don't lie.  Wow. hand it to HP to "design" a computer for Windows XP, yet has somewhat incompatible hardware...  I am going to try something though...

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2009, 10:22:46 PM »
I hooked the keyboard that originally came with the computer back up.

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2009, 01:00:21 AM »
Thank'ee.  I'd like to take that Gateway keyboard back.  Weird as it sounds, I'm attached to that thing since I spent my earlier Internetting years punching the keys on it.

(Also, I think the 2005-2006 HP keyboards are uber smooth to type on, so good for you for going back to it.)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2009, 01:28:58 AM »
An observation I have made is that Dell keyboards are the absolute worst to type on - I find I mike the most errors on those.

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2009, 01:59:52 AM »
They are quite bad.  The keys always feel sticky on them and give very very dull tactile feedback.