Author Topic: Lemmini keeps asking to extract files  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Lemmini keeps asking to extract files
« on: December 08, 2010, 03:59:31 AM »
Whenever I start up Lemmini after I haven't used it in a while, it asks to extract the files, even though I have them already. It won't let me play until I've done that. Is there a way to prevent this from happening, or do I have to keep the WinLemms CD handy?

Also, I've heard it's possible to trick the extractor into reading the files from the Lemmini folder itself, though I haven't been able to do that.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmini keeps asking to extract files
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 08:49:28 PM »
one solution is to put all of your WinLems files onto your computer. This works with the Paintball version I have---don't know if it will with a strict Windows 95 alone version. You can play the game (winLems) without the CD actually. It'll be a lot easier to extract it quicker then. I don't know why it does that though-never does it for me. [Actually with my WinLems CD in, the game always crashed  :XD: but that's another story...]

It could be you have custom files in the levels folder. If you do and they don’t have a “level.ini” file it doesn’t  work and asks you to extract. Which comes to what I came here to ask:

Why don’t user made levelpacks have this file? The game apparently needs this to play custom levels with the menu and everything. How can I get this file? Do I have to make it myself or what?  ???

Until now, I’ve just been loading custom levels manually. [Going to Leve-LoadLevel etc…]
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 09:11:23 PM »
Use this folder saved on your computer for the source files. That should work, at least it works for me.

I'm not really sure how to make levelpacks easily. My method involves copying and pasting the levelpack.ini file from original lemmings and editing it so it works with a level pack, which is quite clunky snd i'm sure there's an easier way. Be warned that this method means your replays incompatible with anyone else though. I always just use load level.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 06:32:12 AM »
Whoa, my thread is back from the dead! :scared:

It could be you have custom files in the levels folder. If you do and they don’t have a “level.ini” file it doesn’t  work and asks you to extract.

Ahh, very interesting. I've never heard of this (despite some searching on the problem), but it's quite possible that this is the cause, since I did try some custom levels at the time.

I did find a suggestion to put the WinLems files on my computer, but that didn't stop the game from asking again. I also recall some problems getting it to accept the files on my computer, but I think it worked eventually.