Author Topic: Lix Community Level Set  (Read 169592 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Lix Community Level Set
« Reply #600 on: June 06, 2012, 01:01:42 PM »
I also attached the intended solution to Proxima's version for TM, added a runner for convenience though (they really help a lot, I find the timing in the critical section pretty easy overall).
Yeah, memory fail on my part :P

I was trying to explode the blocker at the exact moment to turn one of the walkers round and still have him fall through the bomb hole. Of course, exploding one of the walkers to bring the other one down is much easier.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: June 06, 2012, 10:22:31 PM »
I fixed Watch Ye Step. So currently it works pretty much like the original. Finding my solution was difficult for me so I'm not taking it out unless InsaneSteve wants to. However, I'm not sure of if his original solution is possible or not. I have to try it again.

And then I found this level I worked on a while ago. There are two intended ways to solve it. One is harder than the first but I'm not sure how much harder. If nobody finds that one & it proves to be a lot harder then maybe I'll change it to make the harder the only way. As I've already mentioned I like levels with multiple solutions, especially difficult ones. (this level isn't that difficult)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #602 on: June 06, 2012, 11:00:40 PM »
Solution.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: June 06, 2012, 11:18:58 PM »
I think Steve once told me that the save requirement for Watch Ye Step is too low in the LemEdit version, allowing for backroutes.
The Cheapo version has 3 traps, and allows to lose only 3.
Due to the exploder exploding rather fast in Lix, the intended solution allows to save 48 in Lix. There's also a solution saving 46 (losing 1 lix to each trap). Both are attached.

Also solved So Close.

TM: With regards to Eye of the Needle, which backroute fix shall I use?

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #604 on: June 07, 2012, 11:18:53 AM »
I've downloaded So close as well and solved it. Felt proud, as it took me about an hour to execute the solution. :)

OK, because I'm enjoying Lix I have created 10 levels. Any backroutes that you find on any of these levels are actually part of a solution, so don't worry about them.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #605 on: June 07, 2012, 02:38:20 PM »
All solved :)

All over the place -- Beautiful puzzle, very satisfying to spot the solution to this one. Easily my favourite of the set.
Balancing together -- A little tedious but okay with savestates :P
Blocked by a snowball -- Very easy, but that's fine, we need some easy levels too.
Cross Hairs -- Looked impossible until I got the idea. Nice and simple solution, used only 5 skills.
A freakish shade of red -- Invisible terrain? Ah well, this one still didn't take too long. Saved 100%.
Going round in circles -- Nice idea, some parts were a little tiresome to execute but not too bad.
Ground Digging -- A good level introducing the interrupted basher / miner technique. Saved 100%.
Heavenly Skies -- My second favourite, took me a long time to find the right route so as not to run out of builders.
Lust for a bust -- Trial and error, no fun at all.
The Giant Mushroom -- Nice multi-tasking quickie.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: June 07, 2012, 06:40:11 PM »
Attached my solutions (except for the obvious ones).

My first solution to Crosshairs is a bit messy, but the second is pretty elegant.
Heavenly skies was the last one I solved, but once I found the route, I managed to save 2 builders.
Going around in circles, brute-forced my way up instead of going in circles.
Lust for a Bust can actually be done pretty strategically, without trial and error. Not sure whether I want to include levels that take knowledge of how the nuke works though.
Giant Mushroom was more of trial and error, to get the final bomber right so it doesn't fling some lix into their death.
All over the place was nice and quick, I just tried something and it immediately worked. Time limit scared me at the end though, they barely made it in. Does it serve and purpose?
Balancing together took me a few seconds to spot, but execution was ok as there's a lot of leeway. Just a lot of pausing.
Blocked by a snowball is a nice looking and simple level.
Not too fond of Ground Digging, didn't manage to find a nice solution to it.
Not too fond of hidden terrain either, especially if you only discover it midway.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: June 07, 2012, 07:47:39 PM »
I think Steve once told me that the save requirement for Watch Ye Step is too low in the LemEdit version, allowing for backroutes.
The Cheapo version has 3 traps, and allows to lose only 3.

Yea, this. The intended route uses 3 traps and is lose 3. I was a bit lax in the save requirement for the LemEdit version, hence other routes opening up there. That said, you should leave it as is, it's a new puzzle that way.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: June 07, 2012, 10:26:50 PM »
I was a little assertive with my comment above. But if your sure, IS, then whatever. I actually thought of your intended solution first but decided not to bother with it because I thought  it was a little tedious and I'm impatient so I tried to find another way.

here's a slight revision to So Close Yet So Far Away. Tell me which version is harder if either is significantly harder is or not.

And for Eye of the needle; I like 'version 3' better simply because I'm nervous about back routes on the steel with miners.

WARNING: there may be a problem, as I just realized I've forgot and went and started putting my levels into folders other than lixlifpack/wip. Sorry. I'll try to correct this.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #609 on: June 08, 2012, 12:24:15 AM »
As TM requested over IRC, replay for Eye of the Needle 3. (Regardless of which version is used, I feel the exit should be changed to the correct one for the concrete graphics -- I think I noticed this problem with some of your other levels as well.)

It doesn't matter so much about where you put levels, now that Lix replays contain the level data; they will play back correctly anyway.

Solution to the revised So Close.

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #610 on: June 08, 2012, 10:24:06 PM »
9 more levels of varying difficulties. A few Cheapo/Lemedit remakes, a few new levels.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #611 on: June 08, 2012, 11:49:16 PM »
Replays for the first few.

Incidentally, I hope we will get a list update this weekend. With all these new levels (though as we've said, some of minimac's may not make the cut) I would like to know just how close we are to the 240 target. I can already see that I'll have to be careful about selecting the best of my many remaining Cheapo levels (and, possibly, a couple of other ideas I have...).

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #612 on: June 09, 2012, 12:11:55 AM »
And the rest, except Mental Process which is a bit long for me to tackle at this hour (and I already know the solution from the Cheapo version).

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: June 09, 2012, 12:38:37 AM »
Backroute fixes. For Impetus, your route still works but needs the 2nd cuber, for the other two I think I removed those routes.

EDIT: The Runaround is also a backroute. Change the skillset to have 3 diggers instead of 4.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: June 09, 2012, 01:18:40 AM »
a slight change to so close yet so far away.

EDIT: changed a 2nd time

-Hakuin Ekaku