Author Topic: Lemmings Challenges  (Read 123954 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings Challenges
« Reply #150 on: August 25, 2005, 11:23:59 PM »
Um no, it's not the same trick at all.

(note: spoilers about fun 6 below)
The Fun 6 trick allows you to push the lemmings through the thin wall near the exit via a blocker.  This works because the blocker prevents a lemming from turning around even when as it goes into the wall, until it has gone past the blocker's area of influence.

However, the case here in Mayhem 2 would, if you were to use the Fun 6 idea, require you to either A) push  the lemmings vertically thru the 7-pixel floor where the exit sits, or B) maybe for you to push them through that steel wall so you can build above and across the flamethrower.

A) doesn't work because blockers have no influence on a lemming's vertical movement, so the Fun 6 trick simply doesn't apply in that manner.

B) might conceivably work, except you'll definitely need to use more than a blocker in order to get through the width of the steel wall, applying the Fun 6 trick consecutively until you get over.  But the challenge requires 98% so you cannot use more than one blocker.  Moreover, the game mechanics prevents overlapping blockers, so I don't think you can even apply the trick consecutively unless you have a way to remove the previous blocker placed, which is impossible with the bomber skills removed.

So, in summary, it's not the Fun 6 trick and as far as I can tell, it couldn't be.

« Reply #151 on: August 26, 2005, 01:19:14 AM »
I have no idea how to do mayhem 2 without bombers, but I just discovered a really weird glitch(you probably already found it). I know that when a lemming is in ground, he can build to raise himself by one pixel. What I just discovered is that when a lemming is in ground, if he is made a climber, he goes up through any amount of ground until there is an opening.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 26, 2005, 02:01:50 AM »
Yeah, I think Insane Steve have either used it or mentioned it in one of his Lemedit levels, and I do know about it.

To date I haven't actually used that trick in any of the challenges I've done though, probably because most official levels with climbers generally have places where the climber can climb normally, or are easy levels with plenty of other skills.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 26, 2005, 02:06:35 AM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)  link=1117597280/150#150 date=1125012239
So, in summary, it's not the Fun 6 trick and as far as I can tell, it couldn't be.

Perhaps to be less misleading, I really should say, it's not quite the Fun 6 trick.  It's definitely not anything like the A and B I mentioned above.

« Reply #154 on: August 26, 2005, 07:01:53 AM »
AHA!
I finally found it, but I'm not going to give it away. Don't read this unless you have already figured it out, it could be a bit of a hint:
It isn't really a glitch, more of a mistake by the person who made the level.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 26, 2005, 07:26:21 AM »
Your hint wasn't quite what I expected.  While technically not entirely wrong, what you said is:

1) missing something crucial; or
 2) is purposely omitting mentioning of the something crucial; or
 3) is altogether different from how I did it.

Yet it sounds like you must've actually tried what you said.  If that's the case, I would like to know exactly how you did it.  (E-mail guestlevels@yahoo.com, since you can't IM.)  If you haven't tried it yet, well, somehow I don't think what you have in mind would work, but then again maybe you're just pulling #2.  You should try it out (ignoring the 98%) and see.

Leviathan

« Reply #156 on: August 26, 2005, 01:25:59 PM »
I have found a method on Crazy 11 (no problemming) that only looses 3 or 4 lems...it involves a lame trick but it works.

Let lem 2 build over the tiny gap,when the stairs are finished,hit the NUKE button.

« Reply #157 on: August 26, 2005, 08:23:20 PM »
It wasn't supposed to be a hint, just a response to your original post. Now I'm not really sure that it is the same thing you found, because it might be possible to save 100% with it. (It would be X_X X_X X_X hard though.) Hmmm...ok, I'll try to email you.

« Reply #158 on: August 26, 2005, 08:59:59 PM »
Actually, I probably don't need to email you. I just tried it and saved 78/80 with no bombers. I used a blocker to hold back the crowd and ended up with 16 builders left. I might be able to verify the potential 100% part, if I use my best solving music. The music seems to affect my ability to do levels for some reason. Does anyone else seem to be affected by the music?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 26, 2005, 09:25:08 PM »
I'm confused.  If you save 78/80 and you said you use a blocker to hold back the crowd, what happened to the other lemming you lose, given that you said 100% might be possible?  (You can e-mail if you want.)

I guess later tonight, I should go back to the level and see how badly they messed up the level.  If it's really messed up in the manner you seem to imply, then 100% is pretty much possible then.

What a bummer though, if it's really solvable that manner then it's not as interesting anymore, and I might have to think about taking it out of my challenge set.  Well, I guess I could still keep it for the shock value but that'd be about it.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 26, 2005, 09:48:49 PM »
Well, at least on the SNES, I verified that it wasn't messed up in the manner I imagine based on guest's responses.

However, in the process it occurs to me now that there is indeed one other possibility I haven't checked.  Maybe that's what guest's solution is?  I'm going to check it on the SNES and/or PC once I have the chance.

If it works, then I guess that'd make you the first one to discover it.  Good job!  B)

« Reply #161 on: August 26, 2005, 11:04:54 PM »
I saved 78/80 without using the potential 100% part. It turns out that the 100% thing doesn't work. It would work if the level was mirrored though. O_o
I have a similar idea for saving 100%, but there probably wouldn't be enough builders to control the crowd, and it probably wouldn't work.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 26, 2005, 11:05:19 PM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)  link=1117597280/150#160 date=1125092929
However, in the process it occurs to me now that there is indeed one other possibility I haven't checked.

Well, I checked it on the SNES and that didn't work either.

There is still yet another potential-100% thing that I haven't checked, but it is definitely a glitch, so it doesn't sound like something that guest did.

It's possible that maybe the SNES and PC happens to be different on this level.  That'd be somewhat surprising to me though.  Guess I'll have to wait.

« Reply #163 on: August 26, 2005, 11:08:28 PM »
Quote from: guest  link=1117597280/150#162 date=1125097494
It would work if the level was mirrored though.

Ummmmmm....actually I'm not sure, and it doesn't really matter anyway.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 26, 2005, 11:48:14 PM »
I'm still curious what you tried, because there's little doubt with my method that you couldn't get 100% (or it would've been at least 2 new glitches not 1), so it still sounds like maybe you're doing it a little differently.